Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2016, 03:36 PM   #301
locito277
Registered Member

Bottom doors will be up Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2016, 03:50 PM   #302
locito277
Registered Member

Unread 09/21/2016, 10:20 AM   #303
jdantunes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkie View Post
nice! your green lawn will get a nice watering. At least you guys have water in Florida. we are drying up here in Cali. If I were to wash all those containers, the neighbors would call the cops on me.

If the inside get too dirty, you can always treat with a little Muriatic acid to melt off any organics. But seems like everything is pretty clean.
You are being too nice about it. There's people so unconsidered that they don't give a crap about the problems of the world that we all live in.

I don't believe is necessary to be so wasteful to clean a couple of totes. The top openings of those are big enough to fit a spray gun and clean them out. There's no need to be filling them up so many times for then to be drained down into the ground.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Deep Blue Rimless
jdantunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2016, 10:40 AM   #304
locito277
Registered Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but last I checked no one is taking water from Florida to Africa or California for that matter. Perhaps you just checked in but I asked for advice on how to clean the totes as I did not know how to do it. If I knew that a simple spraying would suffice I would have just sprayed. But next time feel free to chime in ahead of time so I can avoid wasteful cleaning of totes.

Unread 09/21/2016, 10:19 PM   #305
Stylo328
Registered Member

I've got to say that your tank is beautiful and your equipment is to be envied. Congratulations on the successes of life that have allowed for them. I admire how humble and receptive you have been throughout the thread. Most folks with your means have little "need or desire" for the thoughts of others, yet you've been open and welcoming.

I am local to you and would love to come by with the family once the tank is up and running to check it out. I've been following along as I will be starting a thread on Saturday for our 405-gallon Reef Savvy build.

As an aside, your Camelot is gorgeous. If I'm wrong on the hybrid, happy to learn what it is, as the coloring of the head and upper body is amazing.

Stylo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2016, 07:03 AM   #306
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo328 View Post
I've got to say that your tank is beautiful and your equipment is to be envied. Congratulations on the successes of life that have allowed for them. I admire how humble and receptive you have been throughout the thread. Most folks with your means have little "need or desire" for the thoughts of others, yet you've been open and welcoming.

I am local to you and would love to come by with the family once the tank is up and running to check it out. I've been following along as I will be starting a thread on Saturday for our 405-gallon Reef Savvy build.

As an aside, your Camelot is gorgeous. If I'm wrong on the hybrid, happy to learn what it is, as the coloring of the head and upper body is amazing.

Stylo of course your welcome anytime. Hopefully we'll. E up and runnin soon. Sunny is actually a Camelina Macaw. I believe it may. E a Camelot with another scarlet. He's a ham. I know he is 3/4 Scarlett. I can't wait to redo the roof of my home as we are planning on making a indoor aviary for the threesome and then get Sunny a girl Scarlett to share his days with. Let me get the tank up and running and you can feel free to come. Y.

Unread 09/22/2016, 08:21 PM   #307
locito277
Registered Member

ATO lines and the fresh saltwater supply for the Genesis automatic water changer.

Unread 09/22/2016, 08:23 PM   #308
02tts
Registered Member

I need to glue some rocks together to make an arch. Did I see you had bought a product for that or you were making something? What are you using?

02tts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2016, 08:23 PM   #309
locito277
Registered Member

Power outlet on top of tank canopy in case of emergency which will feed off a seperate breaker

Unread 09/22/2016, 08:25 PM   #310
locito277
Registered Member

Power supply at other end of sump

Unread 09/22/2016, 08:40 PM   #311
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tts View Post
I need to glue some rocks together to make an arch. Did I see you had bought a product for that or you were making something? What are you using?

Haven't used it yet. It Marco concrete and some glue from BRS. Where can I get acrylic rods to place between the rocks to make them hold? Is there a particular type?

Unread 09/22/2016, 08:42 PM   #312
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locito277 View Post

Power outlet on top of tank canopy in case of emergency which will feed off a seperate breaker

You're not concerned with salt creep and rust?

Unread 09/22/2016, 08:44 PM   #313
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Haven't used it yet. It Marco concrete and some glue from BRS. Where can I get acrylic rods to place between the rocks to make them hold? Is there a particular type?

Got me. I've never dabbed in this area. I'm sure someone who has will jump in. Tagging along.

Unread 09/22/2016, 08:52 PM   #314
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
You're not concerned with salt creep and rust?

I am in fact. The electrician told me it would not but it seems fishy to me. Even aluminum rusts as does galvanized steel no?

Unread 09/22/2016, 08:56 PM   #315
02tts
Registered Member

Starting up a 720 Gallon and seeking suggestions in Miami!

I'm no electrician but from the humidity factor alone, forgetting the salt creep I'd be extremely worried to have it that close. That tank is going to evaporate 4-6g per day, Mine evaporates about 2g and I do not have the amount of lighting or type of lighting you have and I have 500G, you have an an extra 220G....Take that with the amount of water volume, amour of time lights will be on, etc and I think your tank will evaporate somewhere in the 4-6g a day range - I could be way off here but mine evaporates 2g and I keep my downstairs at a constant 75, sometimes 74. I guess if you kept it cooler you'd evaporate less but I don't know too many people that can accomplish 70-72 degrees inside a Florida home - I've tried.

Unread 09/22/2016, 09:09 PM   #316
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm no electrician but from the humidity factor alone, forgetting the salt creep I'd be extremely worried to have it that close. That tank is going to evaporate 4-6g per day, Mine evaporates about 2g and I do not have the amount of lighting or type of lighting you have and I have 500G, you have an an extra 220G....Take that with the amount of water volume, amour of time lights will be on, etc and I think your tank will evaporate somewhere in the 4-6g a day range - I could be way off here but mine evaporates 2g and I keep my downstairs at a constant 75, sometimes 74. I guess if you kept it cooler you'd evaporate less but I don't know too many people that can accomplish 70-72 degrees inside a Florida home - I've tried.

I keep mine around 72. 2 seperate AC units but nonetheless I feel you on that. What if I cover it with PVC instead and put covers on the outlets? The covers I was already planning on anyhow.

Unread 09/22/2016, 09:14 PM   #317
02tts
Registered Member

Starting up a 720 Gallon and seeking suggestions in Miami!

Quote:
I keep mine around 72. 2 seperate AC units but nonetheless I feel you on that. What if I cover it with PVC instead and put covers on the outlets? The covers I was already planning on anyhow.

Covers are not air tight, I know they come with a rubber gasket but me personally I'd be worried.

72...damn, your electric bill's got to be crazy. I have 2 ac's and if I lower to 72 I'll have to take out a loan to pay FPL

I do keep my upstairs at 72 at night cause we all like to sleep with a little chill but not during the day.

Unread 09/22/2016, 09:18 PM   #318
locito277
Registered Member

What can I do? :-( you hire people thinking they will do
It right and next thing you know they do garbage work. Cost just keeps rising :-/ I asked him about the piping and he said it should be fine.

Unread 09/22/2016, 09:30 PM   #319
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
What can I do? :-( you hire people thinking they will do
It right and next thing you know they do garbage work. Cost just keeps rising :-/ I asked him about the piping and he said it should be fine.

I hear you. I'd have him move it and hopefully he shouldn't charge you. I'm not sure what other solution you have, maybe someone else has an idea that can chime in but in my opinion and experience there's no escaping salt creep and humidity due to evaporation. Maybe build a custom plexi enclosure with grommets for the cables. Just throwing some ideas.

Unread 09/22/2016, 09:42 PM   #320
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
I hear you. I'd have him move it and hopefully he shouldn't charge you. I'm not sure what other solution you have, maybe someone else has an idea that can chime in but in my opinion and experience there's no escaping salt creep and humidity due to evaporation. Maybe build a custom plexi enclosure with grommets for the cables. Just throwing some ideas.

Maybe throw pvc pipe instead of the metal and there must be plastic housings for the outlets? Then add the cover to that and we should be able have it secured?

Unread 09/22/2016, 09:46 PM   #321
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe throw pvc pipe instead of the metal and there must be plastic housings for the outlets? Then add the cover to that and we should be able have it secured?

You can definitely get plastic housings at Home Depot or Lowes and of course pvc piping. But you then have to still worry about salt creep and humid inside the outlet...only way you can solve that is isolating it as much as you can. Plexi with robber grommet boxes should work. Look at marine/boat outlets and see what's available.

Unread 09/22/2016, 10:29 PM   #322
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
You can definitely get plastic housings at Home Depot or Lowes and of course pvc piping. But you then have to still worry about salt creep and humid inside the outlet...only way you can solve that is isolating it as much as you can. Plexi with robber grommet boxes should work. Look at marine/boat outlets and see what's available.

Thanks let's see what we can salvage. :-/

Unread 09/22/2016, 10:39 PM   #323
m0nkie
Registered Member

i doubt any electrician will redo the work for free. cover it with a weather proof box? clean that outlet often and use it for minor equipment.

Unread 09/22/2016, 10:48 PM   #324
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkie View Post
i doubt any electrician will redo the work for free. cover it with a weather proof box? clean that outlet often and use it for minor equipment.

This is what I was thinking. All my electrical
Is on those 4 outlets.

Unread 09/22/2016, 11:27 PM   #325
m0nkie
Registered Member

plug the APEX there and extend the EB8 outside the cabinet. I think you will be fine. I use 1 GFCI per EB8 just incase it trips