Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2010, 04:32 PM   #1
MJDiP
Registered Member

Computer Fan Causes Apex Reset

I have a small 120V computer fan that I use to ventilate my canopy. Every time it starts the Apex controller resets itself, and all of the outlets turn on and off.

I've have already:
- Moved the fan to another outlet.
- Updated to the 4.03 Beta firmware.

and I still get the same result.

This effect occurs no matter if I start the fan manually on the web page, or if it starts automatically.

The system even resets itself after the fan is at full speed for a while, so over the course of 20 minutes the reset can occur 4 or 5 times.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

MJDiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2010, 04:48 PM   #2
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

I use (2) 120v fans in my canopy and don't have a problem.

Could the fan itself be shorting the outlet somehow? Have you tried to isolate the fan from the EB8 by putting an outlet strip between it and the EB8? Not an ideal situation but might give you some idea what's happening.

Unread 05/05/2010, 07:33 PM   #3
MJDiP
Registered Member

Wow, you might be on to something there... I tested with a power strip and didn't get the reset.

What makes a power strip "isolate" the fan?

MJDiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2010, 07:42 PM   #4
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

You've got some sort of electrical interference with them. Enough that the TRIAC outlets 'see' it but the power strip doesn't.