Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/17/2017, 08:12 AM   #4726
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysfan09 View Post
To all of ya all who have a gen 1 hydra, what are the setting that you use for a mixed tank???
I feel your pain. I have yet to upgrade from the original Hydras, seems nobody care much about them anymore haha.

I stopped using my apex AWM and actually went back to the original AI "wireless" controller. AWM kept dropping lights randomly.

Anyways, here's what I run. I have nothing to base settings from except when I used this controller back in the day. Also used some knowledge I gained from the AWM.

By no means are these the go to settings, mine are mounted 11"AWL...

W- 16%
Blues - 80%
R&G - 3%
V - 80%
UV - 55%

1pm-8:30pm with a 1.5hr ramp.

1pm-2:30pm (sunrise), 2:30pm-8:30pm (mid day), 8:30pm-10pm (sunset).

Hope that helps...

Unread 07/18/2017, 04:51 PM   #4727
SycoCell
Registered Member

Anyone have a good "viewing" light setting? As in, a quick temporary setting to flip to if someone visits and wants to see some nice colors and really make the coral pop?

Unread 07/18/2017, 07:38 PM   #4728
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycoCell View Post
Anyone have a good "viewing" light setting? As in, a quick temporary setting to flip to if someone visits and wants to see some nice colors and really make the coral pop?

If your looking for straight fluorescent pop just turn UV, V, & Blues to 100% and W,R,G off. If not I don't really know how much more pop you are going to get. The AB+ profile is about as much pop as the lights are capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 09:09 PM   #4729
SycoCell
Registered Member

Great. Thank you.

Unread 07/19/2017, 06:21 PM   #4730
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I got an AI hydra 26HD and a 52HD and compared the power consumption.

I compared 26HD 20K 100% vs 52HD 20K 50% and here's the result from the iPhone app and reading from killawatt. The iPhone app power values are quite accurate.

Then I checked power usage of 52HD 20K 100%

I do not know if the PAR values of 26HD at 100% is comparable or same as 52HD 50%, but it seems 52HD is more power efficient.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 07:28 PM   #4731
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
Pretty much yes to question 1. So pretty much within reason the most lights you can run and the highest you can run them off the water (up to about 2') the less hot spotting and better coverage you can have. As for question 2 the wattages are a misconception and have to do with power routing. The more diodes you can run in series the less total wattage per diode is required due to the effect of some energy used to power diode one passing on to diode two and so on. Someone with an electrical engineering degree can describe much better then I lol. But basically even though if you add up two hydra 26HD it is higher total wattage then 1 52HD this doesn't translate into two 26's or 4 primes putting out more photons then the 52HD. I hope hat wasn't confusing as all hell lol

Bump

Unread 07/19/2017, 07:32 PM   #4732
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I got an AI hydra 26HD and a 52HD and compared the power consumption.

I compared 26HD 20K 100% vs 52HD 20K 50% and here's the result from the iPhone app and reading from killawatt. The iPhone app power values are quite accurate.

Then I checked power usage of 52HD 20K 100%

I do not know if the PAR values of 26HD at 100% is comparable or same as 52HD 50%, but it seems 52HD is more power efficient.

See the response I just bumped on increases in led efficiency the more you place in a series. Hence the 52/26 efficiency differences you are seeing. On your other question about PAR the short answer is "probably yes" the long answer is "probably no" due to the intensity of the light being emitted by a diode run at 100% vs 50%

Unread 07/19/2017, 07:34 PM   #4733
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycoCell View Post
I figured it out. After converting to .txt, I had to open the file manually and change the second line of the code from version 2.0 to version 1.0. Thanks

Glad you got it hope you are liking the schedule

Unread 07/19/2017, 07:38 PM   #4734
SycoCell
Registered Member

Quote:
Glad you got it hope you are liking the schedule

At the moment it's on the AB Rep schedule not the SPS+24. I need to modify the AB+. It shows lights on 100% and super powerful. Slowly learning.

Unread 07/19/2017, 09:49 PM   #4735
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Bump

yes I have read that, but wanted proof so I did the tests for the record.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 08:34 AM   #4736
gtp0083
Registered Member

Little help please . I've read most of this thread just can't seem to find an answer on this. Went from Obit Loop IC lights to the AI Hydra 52 over my IM Lagoon 50. Hydra is mounted about 10" from the water surface.

The tank is 18" deep. I have a zoanthid garden about 2-3" from the top of the water. Everything else, mostly lps, is midway down or on the surface.

Here is what I set the lights at with a acclimation period of 1 month. Using values about half of these. Does this seal like a good place to start?

Thank you!

gtp0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 06:32 PM   #4737
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp0083 View Post
Little help please . I've read most of this thread just can't seem to find an answer on this. Went from Obit Loop IC lights to the AI Hydra 52 over my IM Lagoon 50. Hydra is mounted about 10" from the water surface.

The tank is 18" deep. I have a zoanthid garden about 2-3" from the top of the water. Everything else, mostly lps, is midway down or on the surface.

Here is what I set the lights at with a acclimation period of 1 month. Using values about half of these. Does this seal like a good place to start?

Thank you!

That is an exceedingly weak schedule for a 50 gallon cube. On my SCA 50 my sps AB+ schedule and two 24 watt t5ho. Below is a snapshot of my schedule mid day. My tank is as mixed reef as it gets with Softies/zoas, lps, sps/acropora, and anemones.
IMG_1098.jpg

Unread 07/25/2017, 07:37 PM   #4738
gtp0083
Registered Member

Quote:
That is an exceedingly weak schedule for a 50 gallon cube. On my SCA 50 my sps AB+ schedule and two 24 watt t5ho. Below is a snapshot of my schedule mid day. My tank is as mixed reef as it gets with Softies/zoas, lps, sps/acropora, and anemones.
Attachment 376885

Thank for the reply Orcus

I was concerned with hurting the coral or shocking them with the new lights. I will bump them up to about 60% with a 30% reduction for the acclimation period.

Today was the first full run of the previously mentioned schedule and nothing really opened up fully as it would have with my Orbit lights. Probably to weak.

gtp0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 08:22 PM   #4739
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp0083 View Post
Thank for the reply Orcus

I was concerned with hurting the coral or shocking them with the new lights. I will bump them up to about 60% with a 30% reduction for the acclimation period.

Today was the first full run of the previously mentioned schedule and nothing really opened up fully as it would have with my Orbit lights. Probably to weak.

Take the acclimation slow as the current lights are very weak especially when compared to the hydras

Unread 07/26/2017, 08:39 PM   #4740
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

I have gone ahead and updated the SPS AB+ files to the ones I have been using for the past few weeks. I tweaked the profiles a bit to reduce the max intensity photoperiod but added high noon rapid shifting peaks to more closely mimic the suns natural PAR fluctuations at mid day. If anyone is interested a reefer scientist named Dana Riddle has some fantastic research out there on coral coloration and the intensity of the light being produced by the sun. His studies are what I based the profile changes off of. I am using the low power schedule in conjunction with two T5HO (1 ATI Coral Plus & 1 Giesemann Tropic) on my SCA 50 and the High Power schedule on my 17 gallon anemone cube. If anyone is interested I can link Riddles articles and explain the why in more detail. Below is a screenshot of the new profiles and a link to where they can be found. Happy reefing! https://1drv.ms/f/s!Akco_cmvvLNrgZdidaM1bosnUqv21g

Low Power

High Power

Unread 07/27/2017, 03:29 AM   #4741
limavet1
Registered Member

Quote:
I have gone ahead and updated the SPS AB+ files to the ones I have been using for the past few weeks. I tweaked the profiles a bit to reduce the max intensity photoperiod but added high noon rapid shifting peaks to more closely mimic the suns natural PAR fluctuations at mid day. If anyone is interested a reefer scientist named Dana Riddle has some fantastic research out there on coral coloration and the intensity of the light being produced by the sun. His studies are what I based the profile changes off of. I am using the low power schedule in conjunction with two T5HO (1 ATI Coral Plus & 1 Giesemann Tropic) on my SCA 50 and the High Power schedule on my 17 gallon anemone cube. If anyone is interested I can link Riddles articles and explain the why in more detail. Below is a screenshot of the new profiles and a link to where they can be found. Happy reefing! https://1drv.ms/f/s!Akco_cmvvLNrgZdidaM1bosnUqv21g

Low Power

High Power

Orcus, may I use high power schedulle on my mixed tank with sps and lps corals? My hydras are 26hd 24 awl. Tks

Enviado de meu Moto G (5) usando Tapatalk

limavet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 04:03 AM   #4742
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limavet1 View Post
Orcus, may I use high power schedulle on my mixed tank with sps and lps corals? My hydras are 26hd 24 awl. Tks

Enviado de meu Moto G (5) usando Tapatalk

Should be just fine just be sure to acclimate slowly.

Unread 07/29/2017, 06:43 AM   #4743
bucfan
Registered Member

How do you save a profile if using iPhone software to program the light?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Unread 07/29/2017, 08:07 AM   #4744
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan View Post
How do you save a profile if using iPhone software to program the light?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Okay so it's a bit of a pain but you must first copy the link I posted and paste it into google chrome browser. For some reason safari is a pain with opening the one drive links. Once in the one drive web view click on the profile you wish to download and follow the pictures below. Once you download and open the file in myAI you will have to go to the myAI app for the remaining steps. Please let me know if you have any more trouble and i will try to help some more. Happy reefing!!

Unread 07/29/2017, 08:40 AM   #4745
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Okay so it's a bit of a pain but you must first copy the link I posted and paste it into google chrome browser. For some reason safari is a pain with opening the one drive links. Once in the one drive web view click on the profile you wish to download and follow the pictures below. Once you download and open the file in myAI you will have to go to the myAI app for the remaining steps. Please let me know if you have any more trouble and i will try to help some more. Happy reefing!!

I want to download and save the profile from my light using iPhone. Not the other way around.

Unread 07/30/2017, 08:49 PM   #4746
SexyRob
Registered Member

Quote:
I have gone ahead and updated the SPS AB+ files to the ones I have been using for the past few weeks. I tweaked the profiles a bit to reduce the max intensity photoperiod but added high noon rapid shifting peaks to more closely mimic the suns natural PAR fluctuations at mid day. If anyone is interested a reefer scientist named Dana Riddle has some fantastic research out there on coral coloration and the intensity of the light being produced by the sun. His studies are what I based the profile changes off of. I am using the low power schedule in conjunction with two T5HO (1 ATI Coral Plus & 1 Giesemann Tropic) on my SCA 50 and the High Power schedule on my 17 gallon anemone cube. If anyone is interested I can link Riddles articles and explain the why in more detail. Below is a screenshot of the new profiles and a link to where they can be found. Happy reefing!
I'd like to see the article please.

SexyRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 06:42 AM   #4747
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRob View Post
I'd like to see the article please.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/...le-macna-2016/

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/9/aafeature

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/5/aafeature

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog...r-coral-growth

Just a bit of light reading to get the brain going on a Sunday morning . The gist of the material is a verification of what most of us have observed as aquarists for years. 1. Blue light is very important, 2. Red light is potentially bad for coral growth BUT is required to some extent for optimal coloration, 3. the output of light intensity by the sun varies throughout the day and is interrupted many times by cloudcover, wave action, etc throughout the day. It is all very interesting stuff and with my profiles I am attempting to recreate corals natural envirionment as best as I can in a 50 gallon box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 08/07/2017, 01:40 PM   #4748
dz6t
Registered Member

On #3, I don't think the simulation in your AI profile is realistic nor necessary. Happy reefing.

dz6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 03:41 PM   #4749
Joek86
Registered Member

Quote:

Low Power

High Power

Thanks for your expertise !

I just set up 3 Hydra 26's and can't totally figure out how to get such complex programming. Your preset is now locked and loaded on my system!

Joek86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 04:14 PM   #4750
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz6t View Post
On #3, I don't think the simulation in your AI profile is realistic nor necessary. Happy reefing.

Explain then how a constant blast of light at the same intensity for 8-12 hrs is? I don't mind disagreeing with my points or the premise of my profile, but it bothers me when people say "nope your wrong" and offer nothing in return... The below graph represents readings that were actually taken on a typical day on a reef in Hawaii. I can not simulate down to the second as AI's software has limitations. I do feel however that my program is a better approximation of the natural reef environment then the standard straight line profile. Finally the research done by Dana Riddle, Dave Saxby and others on the delicate interplay between spectrum, photosynthesis rate and chromatoprotien formation begs for us to dive deeper into what these lights can do. My personal results indicate that if I have two corals under the lights one with a straight line split 25/90 Blue/White and another one like my AB+ with respiration peaks I am able to keep light sensitive corals from retracting and my anemone from expanding to the size of a cookie sheet. This is not the case under the straight line profile ime...IMG_0873.jpg

Last edited by Orcus Varuna; 08/07/2017 at 04:26 PM.