Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2016, 12:21 AM   #1
Ricky817
Registered Member

What aquarium do I get -_-

Hi all, I'm a new member here and have never had a salt water tank before. I've been reading on the hobby for over a year now, just lurking. I purchased a 48 inch 4 bulb coralife t5ho frI'm a buddy who upgraded to an led fixture and he also threw in a 55g and stand. I am NOT wanting to use the 55 though. So a little info about my situation so you have a little insight to my concerns. I'm going to be moving into the up stairs of my aunts house for around a year minimum, maybe more while saving for the down payment of a house. Her house was built in the late 1800s and is brick exterior walls. I live in minnesota so placing the tank ok am exterior wall doesn't seem like a good idea in a house of this vintage. Now into the tanks. I've been looking at either purchasing a 29 biocube and starting out with that, or getting 2 40 breeders and using one for a sump/fuge. I have no doubt that the house could hold 70 gallons of water, especially if I place the tanks perpendicular to the floor joists. I absolutely love the looks that both of these tanks can have but I'm leaning more towards the 40s. However my dilemma is my buddy whom I purchased my 48 inch light from is getting discouraged with his tank as it crashed on him again and he lost 4 fish this time. He is now wanting to sell it and said he would sell it to me for less than I'd have into the cube after I got it set up. He has a 75 sumpless, a name brand led fixture ( can't remember which, but know it was about 500 on black friday), he also just bought a skimmer not to long ago. For me I love the idea of a sump just to keep the idea of the display tank clear of "clutter" but I'm not sure if the house would hold a 75 plus a sump/fuge. If you were in my situation which would you go with? The nice thing about his tank is its already cycled and he's pretty good at moving it lol. Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps you understand my predicament a little more. Thanks in advance

Ricky817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2016, 03:16 AM   #2
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Those old MN houses are built better than you think and if I were you, I'd make a deal and buy your buddies 75, have it drilled for overflow and get a 40b from the next Petco $ per gal sale for your sump

Kinda early and I just got up, Welcome to Reef Central and I highly suggest that you read the sticky in this forum with the RED ARROW called Setting UP. Lots of great info in there and will take you a while to read it and take in all of the info there.

Also dig around the site there is anything and everything you want to know about Saltwater tanks and Reefs.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Ricky817
Registered Member

Would I still be able to use the hob skimmer with a sump setup? I'm assuming I would. And I'm kinda hoping that we make a deal on the 75 just because of all that's included with it. But if that falls through, which tank would you go with? Thanks for your help

Unread 05/27/2016, 11:23 AM   #4
Ztous
Registered Member

I had a hang on skimmer sitting inside my sump for a while. It works fine as long your water level can accommodate it. I was using the aqua maxx hob skimmer and it seemed to work better then ever.

Ztous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2016, 04:41 PM   #5
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

I have a HOB skimmer on my system. I've got a 40b DT and a 20 gal sump. I keep lots of extra rock in my sump to aid with filtration.

Tank size is a preference depending on what you wish to keep. I love big angelfish and butterfly fish and use to have a 200 gal with them and loved it. Now that I'm older and have a royally screwed up back I'm quite content with the system that I have. The foot print of a 40b is great and makes it feel like a much larger tank. In fact the 40b is 47.5 gal not 40

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2016, 06:33 PM   #6
Ricky817
Registered Member

I think if the 75 deal falls through I'm going to go with the 40b with a sump. I love the looks of some that I'm finding and it offers me more flexibility with the fish that I would like to keep. Hopefully I can snag the 75 though. Thanks for your help