Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2017, 04:23 PM   #1
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

Seneye Web Server Substitute

Has anyone found a substitute for the seneye Web server? Can I just use a usb to ethernet adapter and then plug into my router? I don't have a computer that stays on 24/7 to plug the usb into

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon Mixed Reef - SPS, LPS, Apex Controller, Aquamaxx AM250 Skimmer, 2 x Tunze 6105, Waveline DC6000 Return Pump
BlueWorldJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Knighthawk
Registered Member

USB to Ethernet will not work for a router. You could buy a cheap all in one computer that you leave on all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2017, 04:42 PM   #3
serbusfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldJeff View Post
Has anyone found a substitute for the seneye Web server? Can I just use a usb to ethernet adapter and then plug into my router? I don't have a computer that stays on 24/7 to plug the usb into

The whole point of the web server is to eliminate the need for a computer. The seneye plugs into the server which plugs into your router, that's it.

Progress thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p
serbusfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2017, 05:03 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Any "USB Device Server" should work with it I believe.

Unread 03/03/2017, 05:10 PM   #5
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Any "USB Device Server" should work with it I believe.
also called a print server?

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon Mixed Reef - SPS, LPS, Apex Controller, Aquamaxx AM250 Skimmer, 2 x Tunze 6105, Waveline DC6000 Return Pump
Unread 03/03/2017, 05:22 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I would think it would be a print/file server... Not sure if there is really a difference..
But if it says it can share USB thumb drives/external USB hard drives it "should" work..

The Belkin Home Base is proven to work.. But I think its no longer available new..

Buy one.. (keep the receipt) and let us know..

Unread 03/03/2017, 05:28 PM   #7
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

ordered the iogear single port usb 2.0 print server. will let you know how it goes

Unread 03/03/2017, 05:54 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
ordered the iogear single port usb 2.0 print server. will let you know how it goes

Keep us updated..
The seneye server is pretty darn pricey

Unread 03/04/2017, 05:06 AM   #9
perkint
Registered Member

I thought the Seneye sensor needed to talk to local software to work? The server has it embedded but anything else just works for getting the Seneye onto the network, but you still need a computer running the software to get the readings online.

Not actually tried it (only use mine for the light sensor so just plug it in to the laptop when I want to use it) but that is my understanding.

Tim

perkint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2017, 06:06 PM   #10
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkint View Post
I thought the Seneye sensor needed to talk to local software to work? The server has it embedded but anything else just works for getting the Seneye onto the network, but you still need a computer running the software to get the readings online.

Not actually tried it (only use mine for the light sensor so just plug it in to the laptop when I want to use it) but that is my understanding.

Tim
The SWS is just a web server that has a built in web page interface that performs the task of uploading data to seneye.me.

I'm guessing the SWS uses the seneye device and just makes the config available via web page instead of seneye connect which is the software for computers.

We'll see. I have an IPad that I use for my Apex Fusion display, so I could use that for the seneye.me display as well. As far as needing a computer to be on all the time, I am assuming the web server handles the uploading?

Unread 03/04/2017, 07:22 PM   #11
perkint
Registered Member

I hope you are right, but as I say, that's not what I have seen said (on another forum).

I did actually contact Seneye support a fair while back and ask if a Raspberry Pi could be used and they said "No, but the updated software we are working on makes that an easier option, so stay tuned". Not heard any more, but that updated software became the current version a long time ago. Not sure what that means: are they going to release an RPi version or not? I suspect not

Tim

Unread 03/16/2017, 05:23 PM   #12
DEadsCSU
Registered Member

Quote:

How did your iogear single port usb 2.0 print server work? I'm hoping it's working fine!

DEadsCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 05:48 PM   #13
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

unfortunately, not so well. like Mcgyvr said I think a USB device server is required, the printer server tries to recognize it as a printer. the USB server would just let a computer running the seneye connect software recognize the seneye. I believe the computer would still need to be on all the time to gather real time readings. the seneye Web server has the connect software on it that sends the data to seneye.me. that is the difference. for me, right now, I am using a laptop with seneye connect software set to stay on even with lid shut. I plan non getting the seneye Web server if the price goes down

Unread 03/16/2017, 11:14 PM   #14
shiftline
Registered Member

I have seen people use raspberry pi's as a "wired USB extender". Still need to have the app running on a pc though

Current Tank Info: Fuson 30L
shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 07:39 AM   #15
DEadsCSU
Registered Member

Bummer. I'll just have to find a cheap computer on slickdeals to run as my server then.

Unread 03/17/2017, 09:32 AM   #16
BlueWorldJeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEadsCSU View Post
Bummer. I'll just have to find a cheap computer on slickdeals to run as my server then.

just make sure you don't pay more than a seneye Web server would cost

Unread 03/17/2017, 10:04 AM   #17
DEadsCSU
Registered Member

This computer is $160, and looks like it would work as Senete Web Server: https://slickdeals.net/f/9845740-cub...archBarV2Algo1

Unread 05/08/2018, 09:02 AM   #18
RussellE15
Registered Member

I have a solution, and it's pretty flash...

So, buy yourself a cheap windows tablet. Get a power through microUSB OTG cable with a few USB ports, but make sure it provides power as well. Install seneye connect software on the tablet, connect seneye to tablet via one of the USB ports you now have. Change your power setting on tablet to always on when plugged in and bam! Seneye web server! They will probably ban me from seneye now since I've done this. Tablet costs £50, cable costs maybe £15 max and everyone has spare USB chargers... Velcro to mount the tablet is cheap too! Plus you can watch Netflix on your new server, and do pretty much everything else a PC does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 05/08/2018, 09:11 AM   #19
RussellE15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellE15 View Post
I have a solution, and it's pretty flash...

So, buy yourself a cheap windows tablet. Get a power through microUSB OTG cable with a few USB ports, but make sure it provides power as well. Install seneye connect software on the tablet, connect seneye to tablet via one of the USB ports you now have. Change your power setting on tablet to always on when plugged in and bam! Seneye web server! They will probably ban me from seneye now since I've done this. Tablet costs £50, cable costs maybe £15 max and everyone has spare USB chargers... Velcro to mount the tablet is cheap too! Plus you can watch Netflix on your new server, and do pretty much everything else a PC does.

Unread 05/08/2018, 10:17 AM   #20
mcgyvr
Registered Member

@RussellE15
Did someone say Amazon Fire 7 tablet? $29 when on sale..
I'm sure it would work too.. May just need to sideload google playstore on it (simple process) to get the Seneye software..

Unread 05/08/2018, 10:23 AM   #21
RussellE15
Registered Member

Quote:
@RussellE15
I'm sure it would work too.. May just need to sideload google playstore on it (simple process) to get the Seneye software..

Oh wow, I didn't see that. And here I was thinking I was smart lol. Not sure if you can keep android device powered on all the time though. Whichever way someone does it, its way cheaper than the official server, and a lot more functional.

Unread 05/08/2018, 10:31 AM   #22
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellE15 View Post
Oh wow, I didn't see that. And here I was thinking I was smart lol. Not sure if you can keep android device powered on all the time though. Whichever way someone does it, its way cheaper than the official server, and a lot more functional.
You can.. I run multiple firetablets as my "smarthome dashboards" (control panels) mounted in various spots around my house on the walls.. You can keep the screen on all the time and it powered up all the time..

I'm not positive that the fire tablets would work but if you got it working like you say you did then I don't see why not.. I don't have a seneye to test..

Unread 05/09/2018, 03:19 PM   #23
perkint
Registered Member

Quote:
@RussellE15
Thanks for that! Never knew Seneye had released an android version! Sure I have an old android phone kicking around

Tim

Unread 05/10/2018, 07:22 PM   #24
oreo57
Registered Member

Though not exactly related.. thought this was interesting enough to drop here:

http://www.ma55ey.co.uk/2015/04/usin...te-seneye.html

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 12:55 PM   #25
Dutchtank
Registered Member

So.. just to know for sure I understand it.

If I connect the Seneye to a android or windows device by USB, install SCA v2 software on that device and let it run 24/7 it will sent data to Seneye.me?

If I use a OTHER device, lets say my Samsung S9+ android, with the same SCA v2 software, I can see real time data..??

I am going to usa in a few weeks ( I am from Amsterdam, The Netherlands by the way)
I will be traveling trough the Rockie Mountains for 3 weeks and would be great to see real time data of my tank back home.

That way I can check at least temp and ammonia and see if the housesitter does not feed to much hahaha.

Dutchtank is offline   Reply With Quote