Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2018, 10:13 AM   #1
aiber
Registered Member

Archon: Where to buy?

Where can I buy the Archon Controller? I visited the website and everything is sold out.

Current Tank Info: 50 Gall. Cube Reef Tank
aiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2018, 10:36 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Wasn't that product trash canned?

Seems there is a few floating around on Ebay..

Unread 05/31/2018, 08:32 PM   #3
ROlympia
Registered Member

I'll sell you mine.

ROlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2018, 03:49 AM   #4
aiber
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlympia View Post
I'll sell you mine.
So they have been discontinued? Where they horrible.

Unread 06/01/2018, 07:40 AM   #5
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Buying that controller these days is like walking into Best Buy and say you want to buy a walkman

Unread 06/01/2018, 08:15 AM   #6
aiber
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
Buying that controller these days is like walking into Best Buy and say you want to buy a walkman
LOL. Well stated! I just am not willing to pay the exorbitant price of the APEX and am looking for some competition. Considering the Reefkeeper also.

Thanks for the help.

Unread 06/01/2018, 08:21 AM   #7
top shelf
Registered Member

What is your goal with a controller? Are you just looking for simple functions like to be able to control outlets? Depending on your needs a WiFi power strip might be worth looking at and cost about $50.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2018, 08:42 AM   #8
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

look at the Apex Jr. I had a reef keeper and I really don't know how they stay in business. I switched to the apex Jr after my reef keeper took a shower in tank water and it's sooooo much better. I've added a few modules since then and it's pretty much a full on apex at this point.

it runs everything, ATO, including refiling my ATO container when it's low, radions, vortechs, dosing pumps you name it.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2018, 12:00 PM   #9
aiber
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguyy84 View Post
look at the Apex Jr. I had a reef keeper and I really don't know how they stay in business. I switched to the apex Jr after my reef keeper took a shower in tank water and it's sooooo much better. I've added a few modules since then and it's pretty much a full on apex at this point.

it runs everything, ATO, including refiling my ATO container when it's low, radions, vortechs, dosing pumps you name it.
See I don't understand why you would need a controller for the radions. I have a radion and already have controller it through their website. The vortechs is the same.

I just think that Neptune is price gauging. I get it that they want to make money and I don't blame them. I hobbyists didn't pay these high prices, they would be forced to lower their prices.

Thanks

Unread 06/01/2018, 12:54 PM   #10
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguyy84 View Post

I love my Jr as well and happy I got it from go with this tank. Has been very solid and reliable, I'd say worth it's weight in gold. I found there to be a slight learning curve at first but once you figure it out it's easy from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiber View Post
See I don't understand why you would need a controller for the radions. I have a radion and already have controller it through their website. The vortechs is the same.

I just think that Neptune is price gauging. I get it that they want to make money and I don't blame them. I hobbyists didn't pay these high prices, they would be forced to lower their prices.

Thanks
In the case of products like Neptune, ecotech, and many other brands the prices may seem high but with that high price tag usually comes a great warranty, customer service, quality, and a few other perks. Personally I find it hard to put a price on those things and they are worth the higher price. There is also a lot of R&D that goes into a lot of these products that many don't take into consideration. Some products spend years and a lot of man hrs before they even see production and we get our hands on them.

A controller is a serious investment and needs careful consideration before you purchase. It will be the brains of your entire tank and you want to be able to rely on it to do its job.

Just my .02 but I see a lot of people switch from reef keeper to Apex but not so many switch from Apex to reef keeper.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2018, 10:15 AM   #11
n2585722
Registered Member

It looks like Dynon has dropped all their controllers under Digital Aquatics name. It looks to me that they are switcing all resources to their avionics. I have the Archon and love it. I guess I will eventually have to replace it years down the road. If I do the new one will have to have wifi communication between the modules instead of buss cables. So far I have not seen one with these features that would fit my needs. I have time so I might just try comming up with my own.

n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2018, 04:27 PM   #12
jeffp1
Registered Member

I have been running a ReefKeeper Elite for over 3 years with no issues. Easy to program and it does everything I need it to.

jeffp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2018, 09:45 PM   #13
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2585722 View Post
It looks like Dynon has dropped all their controllers under Digital Aquatics name. It looks to me that they are switcing all resources to their avionics.
Pretty sure "Dynon Instruments" and not "Dynon Avionics" purchased Digital Aquatics. Not sure what the future holds with them.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 06:17 AM   #14
aiber
Registered Member

Hi all! Anybody heard of the eK Core Aquarium Controller?

Unread 06/05/2018, 09:18 AM   #15
n2585722
Registered Member

Dynon Instruments makes instruments for avionics. They have owned Digital Aquatics as far back as I have owned one and that since 2008. I have to assume they have always owned Digital Aquatics.

I have heard of EK Coral. I don't know what to make of it yet. From what has been released so far it would not fit my needs. I did not see any type of switch inputs on the controller. I like the idea of the wireless power bars. I have sensors at the tank and 35ft away from the tank. So I cannot see a way to overcome that issue.

Unread 09/21/2018, 11:40 AM   #16
FlyingFishSKYw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2585722 View Post
Dynon Instruments makes instruments for avionics..

And now they’re making airplanes!

https://vashonaircraft.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal, H2Overflow, LifeReef VS3-24 Skimmer, 2x Hydra 26, 30 gal diy sump, Apex
FlyingFishSKYw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 02:33 PM   #17
n2585722
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFishSKYw View Post
And now they’re making airplanes!

https://vashonaircraft.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So that is why they got our of the aquarium controller business.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk