Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/11/2018, 04:46 PM   #1
Kyle42
Registered Member

My nuvo 20 build

Hey everyone! Ive been in the hobby for about 4 years now. My first tank was a 20 long from petco with a whole bunch of hob goodies aka my budget tank getting started. I quickly realized after about a year that you have to spend your money on the important things which helps everything else!

So for the last 2 years i had a 40 breeder with a 20 long sump (my first tank) and bought all of the expensive items like lighting and rodi, vortech pumps etc etc. that tank was great but when i moved to my current apartment i couldnt keep anything larger than 20 gallons.
pic of old tank

So here’s where we’re at now.

I just couldnt stay out of this hobby because its way too addicting to me and it keeps me busy and i enjoy it like crazy, as well as meeting new people anywhere i go. here is setting up the aquascape for the new tank

getting it wet for the first time!

current situation for cycling. I kept my light and my rodi, as well as my salt mix and everything so really all i needed was a powerhead for extra flow and the tank, sand and rock! Im so excited for this one because i love the smaller tanks, theyre almost easier for me, and this one is stunning. Ive only known petco tanks so this one just looks incredible. I will update more as i introduce the first fish/ corals and try to keep this as picture heavy as needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2018, 05:06 PM   #2
bimmer01
Registered Member

Very nice aquascaping!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bimmer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2018, 05:17 PM   #3
Kyle42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer01 View Post
Very nice aquascaping!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you! I took like 2 days with my girlfriend to figure it out and do it right this time. I wanted something simple, yet something that gave the tank a little bit of a bigger feel. Plenty of room for corals of all sorts, and plenty of room for the few fish ill have in here.

Which reminds me of this:

Planned stock list:

Clown pair (unsure of what kind, id love black storms)
Pistol and goby pair
Tailspot blenny
Cleaner shrimp

Misc hermits snails etc

Mixed reef with softies lps sps etc.
i looooove zoas so ill probably be trying to find some more higher end ones for this tank since the space fills up quick

Unread 07/14/2018, 01:50 AM   #4
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Looks great bro! I'm by no means the tang police, but I wouldn't recommend putting that tang in a 20. Taking it from an already small 40 and going down to a 20 will very likely, almost certainly stress the fish out. Tangs are extremely susceptible to ich when stressed and that'll wipe out every other fish in the tank. Just happened to a buddy last who took a tang from a 180 and put him in his 90... Three days later all of his livestock was done for

Keep up the great work though!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ryan Darilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 06:41 AM   #5
Kyle42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Darilek View Post
Looks great bro! I'm by no means the tang police, but I wouldn't recommend putting that tang in a 20. Taking it from an already small 40 and going down to a 20 will very likely, almost certainly stress the fish out. Tangs are extremely susceptible to ich when stressed and that'll wipe out every other fish in the tank. Just happened to a buddy last who took a tang from a 180 and put him in his 90... Three days later all of his livestock was done for

Keep up the great work though!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! However, i dont plan on it as i sold all of those fish and corals when i broke down that tank. This is a “fresh restart” so to speak not that anything was wrong with the 40 but more so a way for me to have the aquascape i wanted/knowing where to place corals now and whatnot. I would never put a tang in anything less than a 40 and even that was small for it but my friend was only letting me borrow it for a while because he was moving tanks

Unread 07/14/2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Kyle42
Registered Member

Today was a fun and eventful day! Got to pick out my clown pair and a few zoas that looked stunning! wyoming white and a domino pair. I love the domino because instead of both being near the cheeks, there is one near his cheek and one on top right above the eye. Theyre awesome together as well.

zoas are still opening

Unread 07/15/2018, 11:49 PM   #7
Kmack0415
Registered Member

Nice tank, love the clowns!

Kmack0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 06:13 PM   #8
Kyle42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmack0415 View Post
Nice tank, love the clowns!

Thank you! My girlfriend picked them out. I always let her pick the fish because she has good taste .

Update: ordered corals from World Wide Corals today! Cant wait to see what they look like when they come in. Wont be here til next saturday because thats the only time i can be home for a shipment. First time ordering from an online source as well so im anxious to see how they are!

Unread 07/21/2018, 05:59 PM   #9
Kyle42
Registered Member

Some more news, won a freakin WWC sunkist bounce in a free raffle on a local page! So excited to pick it up! Pics to follow

Unread 07/22/2018, 01:03 PM   #10
Kyle42
Registered Member

Unread 07/23/2018, 08:28 PM   #11
Kyle42
Registered Member

Won a couple of WWC auctions to add to my frag packs that i ordered from them. Heres some goodies i scooped up:

Unread 07/24/2018, 12:16 PM   #12
Kyle42
Registered Member

Had to get rid of the domino ocellaris because it was attacking the wyoming white. Gave it to a friend. I have no luck with 2 clowns . Bought a purple firefish as well! Wish i could take a pic but its hiding still lol

Unread 07/28/2018, 08:27 AM   #13
Kyle42
Registered Member

Wwc shipment came!! Couldnt be happier with what they picked out. Will update with list of corals once theyre in and acclimated

Unread 07/30/2018, 06:23 PM   #14
Kyle42
Registered Member

neon hammer
candy cane in need of more flow
spitfire favia
hollywood stunner chalice
toxic waste favia
ultra aussie lord
blasto merletti
orange acan echinata
sunkist bounce doing well

Unread 07/30/2018, 06:24 PM   #15
Kyle42
Registered Member

inferno chalice
peppermint cephastrea
orange cephastrea
brimstone platygyra

Current zoa garden doing well! Gaia zoas and bubbilicious zoas from wwc towards the back

Unread 08/02/2018, 02:09 PM   #16
Kyle42
Registered Member

Snagged a cool pic of the bounce eating

Unread 09/29/2018, 12:42 AM   #17
socalRW
Registered Member

Cool start. Out of curiosity, why are your lights so high up?

socalRW is offline   Reply With Quote