Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/02/2018, 01:34 PM   #126
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Without knowing the minimum therapeutic dose and when algae returns it's hard to say what works and doesn't work other than things you've experienced. Obviously my test isn't definitive, there are so many variables at play. It is possible that the bacteria that consumes it forms after dosing it and if you went into a system that hadn't been dosed prior it would have been different. You should check out the thread I posted last night that puts CP concentrations against time. For me to keep the 40mg/gal concentration I would have to dose 260 grams of CP over a month just to keep it there if my consumption stayed consistent. The dose to bring the tank up to 40mg/gal is only 26 grams. That is a LOT of cp, not a half dose. Not really willing to test that.
Oh trust me, I'm not providing advice to you or anyone. I'm sharing what I've experienced and that is all. I can't even say that any fish had a confirmed disease/parasite to begin with. The probability is high but it's not like anyone here is doing a funded tank trials experiment. Then again, perhaps your testing was at that level. I really don't know. The chat was interesting if nothing else.

I don't think you have to "keep" a given concentration at 40mg/gal. It's an initial concentration with a natural breakdown that is what people are using and finding effective over time.

I'll read your post for more details.

Unread 09/12/2018, 10:16 PM   #127
Isayso
Registered Member

nice thread..
what about the potassium permanganate?
did anybody tried?
my tank is completely full of these pests
im at the verge of nuking the whole tank

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Isayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 08:54 PM   #128
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

I just finished treatment of Reef Flux at double dose in 2 reef tanks with lots of VS. so far I don't see any mucus strings from any VS and I have lots of them in both tanks. Maybe their just mad from the treatment. On other hand if their dead that would be a great benefit. Has anyone with VS tried Reef Flux at double the dose for 2 weeks?

BeachVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 09:19 PM   #129
Isayso
Registered Member

What is in the Reef flux
I'm ready to try anything

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Unread 09/17/2018, 09:26 PM   #130
Isayso
Registered Member

Is floconazole !???
I did a treatment for briopsy 6 months ago
Regular dose just the algea died

Unread 10/03/2018, 07:41 AM   #131
McPuff
Registered Member

These stupid things are really popping up everywhere now. Big ones and tiny ones. Argh! Starting to consider some type of treatment option. There has to be something that gets rid of them... and there must be a predator.

They are more annoying than anything. Don't really bother corals or the fish. But they don't look good, and they cut and poke me. No snails make me bleed my own blood! :0)

Joining this thread to see what has worked for others, short of nuking the tank. Not an option for me.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2018, 09:11 AM   #132
Isayso
Registered Member

I haven't found anything
That kill them I'm trying to search about potassium permanganate.. As somebody mentioned above.
I'm at the verge to nuke the whole tank. And literally boil the rocks in a large pot

Unread 10/03/2018, 10:03 AM   #133
dubmaneh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isayso View Post
I haven't found anything

That kill them I'm trying to search about potassium permanganate.. As somebody mentioned above.

I'm at the verge to nuke the whole tank. And literally boil the rocks in a large pot

I知 trying the micro bubbling as a last resort before I tear down and restart. They are a royal PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dubmaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2018, 12:33 PM   #134
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmaneh View Post
I知 trying the micro bubbling as a last resort before I tear down and restart. They are a royal PITA.
I'm still microbubbling. But I do t see difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unread 10/03/2018, 12:57 PM   #135
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Isayso,
DO NOT BOIL ROCK!!!!!!
Results could be death, especially if palys are present.

Unread 10/03/2018, 02:43 PM   #136
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Isayso,
DO NOT BOIL ROCK!!!!!!
Results could be death, especially if palys are present.
Yes I'm aware of that thanks. No paly in my tank and if I do will be outside

Unread 10/04/2018, 03:26 AM   #137
JWClark
Registered Member

Sitting rocks in sun for a week or so is more than enough. I took some rock out w/ hydroids and VS, sat on the porch for a few weeks, then into QT tank. Haven't seen one since. Hydroids came back on other rocks in the display so now I am completely restarting.

Don't mind so much about the restart since I can go bare bottom but losing 2 yrs of maturity sucks--for me and the mandarins.

Going to fill the tank with fresh water and run for a day or two to get any VS in the overflow/lines/walls.

Interestingly, I don't have one VS in the sump so I was able to move those sponge covered rocks into the QT tank with the mandarins. Still no sign of them on those rocks.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2018, 06:29 AM   #138
McPuff
Registered Member

Boiling is not a good option for a number of reasons. Instead, consider an acid bath for your rocks. That will literally eat those snails along with the outer layer of each rock. They will be completely gone without any issue.

I read about a laser option as well. High powered (1mW or more) laser will actually cause the snails to cook in their own shells. Has anyone tried this? I assume you have to go from the top and not through the glass... but maybe not?

Unread 10/04/2018, 06:36 AM   #139
Isayso
Registered Member

I do have the 1mW laser
Not working... you have to go
Higher than that

Unread 10/04/2018, 06:45 AM   #140
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
I do have the 1mW laser
Not working... you have to go
Higher than that
Sorry, I meant 1000mW (1W). Those are generally about $50 or more.

Unread 10/04/2018, 07:14 AM   #141
Isayso
Registered Member

I have red a little bit about laser
When I had time and even the 1W
I don't think is enough
For 150 Us$ you can get a 3watts
But I have so many VS that will take days to kill them. And still I won't be able to reach the back of the rocks

Unread 10/16/2018, 07:14 PM   #142
Isayso
Registered Member

holy crapppp

HI all I had to remove a 6"x5"capricornis that bleached and look whats behind

They Must be at least 3" tall

[IMG]]

Unread 10/17/2018, 09:04 AM   #143
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

I致e got 200 blue leg hermits arriving this week. I知 hoping the hermits will irritate them by interfering their their nets and possibly steal food from them when it gets caught in the net before they are able to reel it in. Also considering a bunch of cleaner shrimp, as I have seen these reach into the mouth of LPS to steal food I知 thinking they may do the same with vermetids.

Urchins may be another good option, even if they don稚 eat them directly or on purpose they might damage or irritate the vermetids during their general bulldozing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 09:32 AM   #144
Isayso
Registered Member

I don't know about that... my Blue legs dont do nothing
To them.
Maybe because the snails are too big..

Unread 10/18/2018, 08:48 AM   #145
McPuff
Registered Member

Hmm, the cleaner shrimp may be a good idea. Come to think of it, I've noticed an increase in vermetids since my coral banded shrimp died a few months ago. Could simply be a coincidence though...

Unread 10/18/2018, 09:07 AM   #146
Isayso
Registered Member

That's another option
I've never tried or had a Coral
Banded shrimp

Unread 10/18/2018, 05:43 PM   #147
becon776
Registered Member

i give up

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 05:44 PM   #148
becon776
Registered Member

my tank is 18 years old

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 08:19 PM   #149
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becon776 View Post
my tank is 18 years old
doesn't mean that is the end of life...

my registration with reef central was back in 2003 and since 1999on the local forum
the tank is old too but the problems with the snail is last couple of years..

Im on the hunt for a coral banded shrimp LOL
that is the only thing I havent tried yet

Unread 10/18/2018, 08:35 PM   #150
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Quote:
I don't know about that... my Blue legs dont do nothing
To them.
Maybe because the snails are too big..

At this point I知 not even looking for something that eats them, I知 just trying to make their lives more difficult and **** them off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote