Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2015, 10:59 PM   #2801
slap
Registered Member

Yes, I find it a little too white. I've already ordered 2 super blue.

Unread 09/27/2015, 04:13 PM   #2802
Stylo328
Registered Member

ATI Powermodule Hybrid Club

Hello all,

We're planning a 120" x 36" x 30" peninsula build. Will be SPS dominated. Thoughts on running two of the 60" 8-bulb hybrids?

Thanks

Stylo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 05:52 PM   #2803
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Hello all. I have a 8 bulb 48" hybrid over my 90 right now but will be over my 180 in a few months. I run the following bulbs:
2 actinic
3 blue+
2 AB Specials
1 purp+

I only run my leds max at 13% with blue levels very high, barely any whites, and a little reds to help my fish and certain corals pop.

My lights are about 11.5" over the water. I run the 2B+ & 2actinics for 10 hrs and other 4 join in for 8.

Some corals have colored up while some have faded. I've moved the faded ones down because I think they are getting too much light. I'm starting to think now I run my full bulb duration to long. Do you think I should run my full bulbs only about 4-6 hrs? Is there such a thing as too much light for too long?

Unread 09/28/2015, 06:31 AM   #2804
Vincee78
Registered Member

Hello all ,

i bought an ati powermodule led and the T5 fans are very loud.
LED fans are very quiet.

Video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfVDu87BPT0

What do you think ? is it normal ?

Vincee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2015, 08:47 AM   #2805
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post

Some corals have colored up while some have faded. I've moved the faded ones down because I think they are getting too much light. I'm starting to think now I run my full bulb duration to long. Do you think I should run my full bulbs only about 4-6 hrs? Is there such a thing as too much light for too long?
Cut down on all 8 tubes on to 2.5-3 hours. And try lowering your total lighting to 7-8 hours then gradually work your way back up to 10-11. Your T5 combo seems fine. I would reduce to 1 actinic and add another blue bulb. Or remove the purple and add a coral+. You can definitely pump the LEDs to 30-35%. In my experience starting low and working up works best.

Unread 09/28/2015, 08:47 AM   #2806
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincee78 View Post
Hello all ,

LED fans are very quiet.

Video :

My fans are quiet unless I put my ear above the unit. Call ATI support.

Unread 09/28/2015, 08:50 AM   #2807
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

I don't like how pink the coral+ is. I might try other brands but have some combo similar to 4 B+, 2 ABS, 1 purp+, 1 actinic

Unread 09/28/2015, 08:52 AM   #2808
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post
I don't like how pink the coral+ is. I might try other brands but have some combo similar to 4 B+, 2 ABS, 1 purp+, 1 actinic

With the purple/pink bulb you already have pink in your tank. The coral plus has the same spectrum but in a far lower percentage. I thought the same then took out my purple+ and added the coral+ and am very happy with the colors. With 8 bulbs trust me 1 coral+ does not show. And leave it in the middle.

Unread 09/28/2015, 09:06 AM   #2809
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

I really don't like the C+ bulbs. They make things looked washed out. I believe they and the ABS bulbs are similar in par values and spectrum coverage so it seems like it comes down to personal preference and i prefer the ABS

Unread 09/28/2015, 09:16 AM   #2810
ifarmer
Registered Member

very nice.
thinking to get the same light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan View Post
Here's a tank update. Been running the LED Powermodule now 6 months.

ifarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2015, 12:00 PM   #2811
wheelman76
Registered Member

Quote:
Hello all ,

LED fans are very quiet.

Video :

The metal "letters" ATI that sits above the fan sometimes get bent a little causing the fan blades to rub against them causing a fair amount of noise. Check to see they're not touching , and just gently bend them back if they are.

Unread 09/28/2015, 12:17 PM   #2812
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Hello all ,

LED fans are very quiet.

Video :

Vince, your ATI fans are spinning CRAZY fast. There is a secret option to access FAN SPEED etc...I bet either someone messed around with the setting or it was somehow setup wrong at factory.

I wouldnt run the unit until its sorted out. The fans may burn out and then the unit could overheat!

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 01:54 PM   #2813
Redrosetuscan
Registered Member

I'm due to replace my tubes now on my 8 tube hybrid.

I've gone from ati to the new giesseman tubes.

Actinic
Aquablue coral
Pure actinic
Actinic
Led
Actinic
Pure actinic
Aquablue coral
Actinic

Quite excited about it, I'm using one more proper actinic than before and one less white.

My question is how should I acclimate the new bulbs? My led are at 90% should I just lower them and gradually ramp back up

Or raise the whole unit (awkward)
Or just add two tubes a week for a month (not preffered as I want to see the new colours haha)

Redrosetuscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 05:51 PM   #2814
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrosetuscan View Post
I'm due to replace my tubes now on my 8 tube hybrid.

My question is how should I acclimate the new bulbs? My led are at 90% should I just lower them and gradually ramp back up

I changed 2 T5 bulbs every 10 days and reduced T5 photo period 1.5 hours then later went up 30 minutes every week to original photoperiod once all tubes were in. Worked well and nothing got stressed out. I did not touch LEDs but if your corals tolerating 90% then you should be ok. That's a lot of light. I'm at 40-50% max.

Unread 09/30/2015, 11:34 AM   #2815
vmacisback
Registered Member

Sahin or anyone for that matter,

Do you know how to get the LED settings to look similar to a reefbrite? Im looking to get the same pop as my reefbrite with the powermodule for dawn and dusk. Please let me know. Thanks

Current Tank Info: 105 Rimless
vmacisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2015, 11:37 AM   #2816
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmacisback View Post
Sahin or anyone for that matter,

Do you know how to get the LED settings to look similar to a reefbrite? Im looking to get the same pop as my reefbrite with the powermodule for dawn and dusk. Please let me know. Thanks

I asked the same question sometime back. ReefBrites have proprietary LEDs I think and get around 420-430 wavelength. Tough to get ReefBrite look but here's how I got close. RB full, B about 80, R about 15, W 0. It comes close but not exactly like ReefBrites.

Unread 09/30/2015, 01:42 PM   #2817
vmacisback
Registered Member

Quote:
I asked the same question sometime back. ReefBrites have proprietary LEDs I think and get around 420-430 wavelength. Tough to get ReefBrite look but here's how I got close. RB full, B about 80, R about 15, W 0. It comes close but not exactly like ReefBrites.
thx I played around with it and I got close enough. Quick question Bucfan, I was wondering the hanging height of this fixture. My canopy is approx 15" and the light itself sits about 6" off the surface. The tank itself if 27" so its pretty deep. Just wondering if there would be any advantages to trying to raise it up to the 8-12" range. It is the 8x80w version so it packs a punch.

Unread 09/30/2015, 01:54 PM   #2818
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
thx I played around with it and I got close enough. Quick question Bucfan, I was wondering the hanging height of this fixture. My canopy is approx 15" and the light itself sits about 6" off the surface. The tank itself if 27" so its pretty deep. Just wondering if there would be any advantages to trying to raise it up to the 8-12" range. It is the 8x80w version so it packs a punch.

My tank is 27" deep too. Light sits 14" above water level. Used to have it 10" above water level but raised it up. I have the 48" bulb so it's plenty light like yours. My light hangs from ceiling. I think you could raise it to 12".

Unread 09/30/2015, 02:05 PM   #2819
vmacisback
Registered Member

Quote:
My tank is 27" deep too. Light sits 14" above water level. Used to have it 10" above water level but raised it up. I have the 48" bulb so it's plenty light like yours. My light hangs from ceiling. I think you could raise it to 12".
yea I agree i think the spread would be better and the leds would look better overall.

Unread 09/30/2015, 02:10 PM   #2820
Redrosetuscan
Registered Member

Quote:
I changed 2 T5 bulbs every 10 days and reduced T5 photo period 1.5 hours then later went up 30 minutes every week to original photoperiod once all tubes were in. Worked well and nothing got stressed out. I did not touch LEDs but if your corals tolerating 90% then you should be ok. That's a lot of light. I'm at 40-50% max.

It is a lot of light! However the light sits 8" above the water and the tank is 27.5 deep, with the highest acro being approx 14" from the light and the majority being approx 18-20" from the light and some being quite near the bottom, all sps including some maximas one being around 30" from the light!

I did just see your post about yours being higher. Sometimes I think I've got too much light and sometimes not enough, some acros are phenomenal in colour and a few are pale but I think that's more lack of nutrients.

Redrosetuscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2015, 02:27 PM   #2821
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrosetuscan View Post
It is a lot of light! However the light sits 8" above the water and the tank is 27.5 deep, with the highest acro being approx 14" from the light and the majority being approx 18-20" from the light and some being quite near the bottom, all sps including some maximas one being around 30" from the light!

I did just see your post about yours being higher. Sometimes I think I've got too much light and sometimes not enough, some acros are phenomenal in colour and a few are pale but I think that's more lack of nutrients.
I agree on the colors. I bet it's either nutrient or flow issue, but likely the former. This light packs a punch no matter where your corals are.

Unread 09/30/2015, 02:28 PM   #2822
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
yea I agree i think the spread would be better and the leds would look better overall.
That's what I noticed when I raised it up. Before the LEDs caused some shaded spots. Now it's better.

Unread 09/30/2015, 05:50 PM   #2823
vmacisback
Registered Member

bucfan,

got the fixture raised up to 10" quite a change, it really took the overkill feeling out of the fixture. I am running the Led's at 50% and all 8 tubes for 4.5 hrs and 4 tubes for 7 hrs. its an all sps tank wondering if you think I needed to make some changes, I was trying to take it slow to acclimate the sps to the new light but I think by raising the fixture it took a lot of the punch out of the light.

Unread 09/30/2015, 06:57 PM   #2824
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
bucfan,

got the fixture raised up to 10" quite a change, it really took the overkill feeling out of the fixture. I am running the Led's at 50% and all 8 tubes for 4.5 hrs and 4 tubes for 7 hrs. its an all sps tank wondering if you think I needed to make some changes, I was trying to take it slow to acclimate the sps to the new light but I think by raising the fixture it took a lot of the punch out of the light.
I run 8 tubes 3 hours (1 pm to 4pm) and 4 tubes 8.5 hours (1130 am to 8 pm). LEDs turn on very dim at 7 am until 10 am then to 45% by 12 pm and stay on until 1030 pm then ramp back down. This schedule has thus far produced great SPS growth. If you PM me your email I can send you my light program to test.

Unread 09/30/2015, 07:03 PM   #2825
bucfan
Registered Member

Here are some pictures I took earlier today with my phone.