Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/01/2013, 04:43 PM   #1
VeL
Registered Member

Few questions about Mutiny I & Media Reactor

Hello,
For my 120g I plan on purchasing Mutiny I together with MR5 which will be filled with active carbon.
In some threads I read that since gas and water are passing through the same outlet, sometimes the GAC reactor is not enough to remove the ozone smell. That is a bit of concern since the aquarium is in our living room and I'm wondering "how bad" the smell/ozone leech is. Also if there is still ozone coming out of the GAC reactor outlet, doesn't that mean that the water entering the aquarium will be still saturated with the ozone byproducts? Another thing I've read is that the outlet "burps" almost all the time and was wondering if it's noisy.
Lastly I plan on purchasing Mag3 pump as recommended but would it be strong enough to have a good flow through both ozone & media reactors? Oh and any labor day sales?

Last edited by VeL; 09/01/2013 at 04:49 PM.
VeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2013, 07:07 AM   #2
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

The residual ozone smell is faint and nothing to worry about as long as you are not completely over dosing your tank. Even a tiny residual has a "unusual" small that you may not be accustomed to but it is nothing like the smell of pure ozone nor is it as harmful. It should smell just like it does before a thunderstorm under normal operation.

There is a small amount of air passing though the carbon and into the tank under operation but it does not "burp", air passes just as fast as it enters. The sound of the bubbles coming out of the water output tube is very minimal and living room friendly.

Mag 3 is the perfect pump for the M1. The flow is very slow through the reactor by design to increase contact time, the Mag pump creates enough flow and helps pressurize the main chamber so the ozone can better scrub the water.

No Labor Day sales, but Talk Like a Pirate Day is just around the corner.....

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2013, 01:04 PM   #3
VeL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avast Marine View Post
The residual ozone smell is faint and nothing to worry about as long as you are not completely over dosing your tank. Even a tiny residual has a "unusual" small that you may not be accustomed to but it is nothing like the smell of pure ozone nor is it as harmful. It should smell just like it does before a thunderstorm under normal operation.

There is a small amount of air passing though the carbon and into the tank under operation but it does not "burp", air passes just as fast as it enters. The sound of the bubbles coming out of the water output tube is very minimal and living room friendly.

Mag 3 is the perfect pump for the M1. The flow is very slow through the reactor by design to increase contact time, the Mag pump creates enough flow and helps pressurize the main chamber so the ozone can better scrub the water.

No Labor Day sales, but Talk Like a Pirate Day is just around the corner.....
Thank you for the answer, cleared up my concerns. Just one last thing, I know that mag3 is the recommended pump for M1 but will the flow be ok if there is a MR5 filled with carbon post the M1. Thanks!

VeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2013, 06:34 AM   #4
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Yes, it will work.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote