Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2018, 10:50 PM   #1
jporter
Registered Member

Anyone else noticing more scorpions this year?

We’ve lived in our house now over 15 years and up to, a year ago never saw one scorpion. Over the past couple months we have been killing a few a week. The house across the street as well as the new development across the Higley seems to be driving them out. We haven’t seen any in the house yet, but have found them against the outside of the house. Killed a large one at the base of a palm tree tonight that my dogs regularly use as a bathroom. These things are gross. Anyone else experience an increase in scorpion activity? JP

jporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 07:35 AM   #2
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

Your neighbor got an exterminator. All his crickets are dead so their scorpions came to your house.

nathanemmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 07:43 AM   #3
Soluent1
Registered Member

I think it’s the new construction that drives them out of that area and into yours. That is the theory where I have a condo that I rent out. Much construction was done in the area and the scorpions moved into the established homes.

Soluent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 11:24 AM   #4
rvareef
In Memoriam

scorpion uprising

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 12:02 PM   #5
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

You described our first impression of moving into a desert environment. 2 days before moving into our house we had a company come in and clean all the carpet, when they reported back that there were so many scorpions along the base boards, we had seriously considered staying in Wyoming.

We immediately contacted a local pest control company to meet us there the day we arrived to spray the house and set up a monthly schedule for them to come out. We even purchased black light flash lights for every room in the house to make a game out of rounding up these critters from the house.

for the first month we were finding them inside the house, plus we were seeing remains of them from our 2 cats that were feasting on them at night. it took about 6 months to eliminate them from the house and another 18 months to keep them at bay from our 1 acre property. At night we go out nightly to search and capture them, eventually it turned into twice a month.

One thing that seemed to help was this powder that the pest control people sprayed in all the crevices around the house and the cinder block fence around the property, I believe it's called diatomaceous earth, which was explained to me that it gets underneath the exoskeleton of scorpion and rips to shreds their joints killing them slowly.

Another preventive measure we took was to silicone the stucco flashing at the base of the entire house. that sealed off and prevents them from crawling up behind the Styrofoam and getting into the walls.

I'm glad to say that we have gone 7 months without finding any scorpions in or around our house.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 12:45 PM   #6
jporter
Registered Member

We bought the powder and it seems to work. It called Delta Dust and made by Bayer. Our nightly searches have been finding less and less. We find a few on the neighbors fence and we share the same exterminator service.

Unread 09/16/2018, 03:38 PM   #7
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

scorpions in the house is a deal breaker for me, my father visited 2 months after moving in and after swimming he threw his damp trunks on the floor of his room and the next day put them on again.... you probably can guess what happened next. He was stung twice where no man should ever be stung.

He caught that one and took it back to New York as a pet. I'm sure it's a conversation piece for anyone whose willing to listen.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 11:56 AM   #8
JimON
Registered Member

I saw the Scorpions with Queensryche a couple weeks ago at Comerica. Good show for a bunch of old guys!

Seriously though, yes, they seem to be more prevalent now than in years past. I have lived here the bulk of my life. In 2005 we moved to San Diego for 9 years, prior to that I never saw one inside any of the homes I lived in, or in any of the yards of those homes. We moved back here in 2014, and have seen so many I can’t even count. Each morning I head out to the hot tub before the sun comes up, and always take a black light with me. This morning there were 2 dead ones that were under water in the pool on the step, promptly smashed even though they were dead. We have monthly bug service, but our neighbors do not. That is a problem...

I have been stung once, I am not allergic, so no biggie other than a little burn for a few hours.

Current Tank Info: 90- Photon V2, Lifereef sump, fuge, and skimmer.
JimON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 12:06 PM   #9
JimON
Registered Member

Oh, and Jimmy, about the DE powder, don’t believe it. It may provide a little irritation to the exoskeleton, but I really don’t believe it kills em. Our first house back in the valley in ‘14 in Gilbert I spread pounds (an entire box) of the stuff in the yard, in the unused bedrooms, wherever I could that was not normal path of human travel. Dang things just walk right thru it... I am going to go find some of the stuff from Bayer that JP mentioned....

Unread 09/17/2018, 12:39 PM   #10
jporter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimON View Post
Oh, and Jimmy, about the DE powder, don’t believe it. It may provide a little irritation to the exoskeleton, but I really don’t believe it kills em. Our first house back in the valley in ‘14 in Gilbert I spread pounds (an entire box) of the stuff in the yard, in the unused bedrooms, wherever I could that was not normal path of human travel. Dang things just walk right thru it... I am going to go find some of the stuff from Bayer that JP mentioned....
We bought it from a bug and weed mart (off Gilbert and Southern). They have everything you need there including a neat scorpion graveyard with many different species.

Unread 09/17/2018, 12:57 PM   #11
JimON
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter View Post
We bought it from a bug and weed mart (off Gilbert and Southern). They have everything you need there including a neat scorpion graveyard with many different species.
Awesome, I will check it out! Thanks Jeff!

Unread 09/17/2018, 09:55 PM   #12
kjonulak
Registered Member

We built a house in N Scottsdale in the desert. I refuse to spray for bugs. Our planet is becoming more toxic everyday. We have plenty of other creatures that will eat the scorpions. If one gets in the house, I deal with it. Outside I let the lizards and tarantulas deal with the scorpions. We have lots of them and very few scorpions. That’s just me. There are enough toxins and I don’t need someone spraying that stuff around my house. Years ago I use to use roundup to kill weeds and grass around my house. My young beagle at the time decided to eat some of the grass, she started having seizures. My first thought was I killed my dog. Luckily she survived. That was the last time I used that stuff.

kjonulak is offline   Reply With Quote