Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Jamesjugs
Registered Member

Red Sea NOPOX

Hi guys,

This week is my fourth week of dosing Nopox; currently I haven’t seen any drop in nitrates. Skimmer is set on wet pulling out tea coloured crap every day. Any idea on when I’ll see some results? They were probs at around 200ppm. Fish only tank I’m thinking as the skimmer is pulling out waste; perhaps more is unbundling from the substrates?

Anyone know timeframe wise how long this is gonna take?

Jamesjugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2018, 09:04 PM   #2
garygonzales
Registered Member

are you dosing per directions...i had high nitrates as well..it did take several months to kick in..especially if your that high...

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2018, 09:08 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Took me 2 months to go from 40 to 5ppm.
I been using NoPox for 2 years, but super slowly reducing the amount as my tank has matured and bacteria is sufficient to export what the tank imports.

If your in a hurry, why not just make more/larger water changes?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2018, 03:37 AM   #4
Jamesjugs
Registered Member

I’ve been dosing 7ml now up to 10ml for the 100GAL; minus the rocks etc so I’m probably slightly below the dose if anything...I done 4/5 water changes of 30% but it doesn’t make much difference as it does drop and then is back up...hence I think atm the removal just results in more leaching out from rocks etc...when the drop happened for you was it linear or did it rapidly go down?

Unread 11/25/2018, 07:49 AM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

200 is a very high number.
How much rock?
How long running?

Now nitrate levels in a FO tank don't need to be as low as 5 ppm, that's a reef tank, but I might guess 30-50 is achievable.

It's odd that WC would not effect your nitrate level. Either you have virtually no bacteria or something is producing nitrates, I assume you have no canister type filters on your setup?

If it's tank age/ bacteria count, this will just take time dependant on the surface area available fir the bacteria pop. If something is creating / leaching nitrate other than fish and food, that's a problem that must be rectified first.

In my case it took 2 months to go from 40ppm to 5ppm, down about 5 ppm per week.
On a 70g mixed reef I started with 8 ml increased to 10 ml in second week, ran 10 ml for 21 months, now lowered (very slowly) to 4 ml which results in a constant nitrate level of 3-5 ppm

To me, NoPox just helps manage nitrate, and to a lesser extent phosphate, until bacteria count and ability to export match with import....then it's of less value.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Uncle99; 11/25/2018 at 08:03 AM.
Unread 11/25/2018, 12:30 PM   #6
mmmbacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesjugs View Post
Hi guys,

This week is my fourth week of dosing Nopox; currently I haven’t seen any drop in nitrates. Skimmer is set on wet pulling out tea coloured crap every day. Any idea on when I’ll see some results? They were probs at around 200ppm. Fish only tank I’m thinking as the skimmer is pulling out waste; perhaps more is unbundling from the substrates?

Hey James read your troubles and thought this would be a good read for you . Best thing to reduce nitrates is dilution with water changes ,, that high of nitrates you need to do multiple in a few days than figure out why it was that high .. check this out Good luck : )
http://www.melevsreef.com/articles/g...-under-control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmmbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2018, 12:40 PM   #7
mmmbacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesjugs View Post
Hi guys,

Sorry if I posted twice it’s not showing that I replied, . Here’s a great article James .. If this was me ,I would cut down the nitrates with water changes . Than maybe maintenance with nopox .. that’s how I would approach it .. than figure out why it was that high ,,

http://www.melevsreef.com/articles/g...-under-control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmmbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2018, 05:13 PM   #8
Jamesjugs
Registered Member

We are talking about 20year setup here...rock is about 40kg I’d say....there’s 5 canisters that have all been cleaned on a monthly rotation...some were very dirty....1.5l of continuum balance balls etc...

Unread 11/27/2018, 05:46 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Get it up to the maximum dose recommended and maintain that (or go a bit higher)..
Not sure how you are even measuring 200ppm as most kits don't go that high unless you are adjusting the amounts for an ultra high range sample..
With that high of a nitrate level I'd surely push the dose up until I got cloudy water/bacterial snot formation and then drop it some and maintain that..

Its going to take a while to fix that much of a problem.. Patience..

Adding some more rock wouldn't be a bad idea either as you are pretty light on the amount.. That will get you some more surface area/low oxygen areas for bacterial colonization.

Unread 11/27/2018, 10:11 AM   #10
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Why 5 canister filters? I have not seen that before. Well, I have, but usually followed by high nitrate complaints.

To me, canister filters are good for trapping particulate including uneaten foods and deploying carbons and GFO but are not a great filter for the reef.

The rock and its surfaces is the true filter. I use only 1 canister type filter and it has to be cleaned once per week or nitrates will rise.

Something seems to be creating an unusually high nitrate (except for tanks which are not regularly maintained) and my guess is that your canisters are a contributor.

Unread 11/27/2018, 10:42 AM   #11
nereefpat
Registered Member

I would like to add that rock/sand can not leach nitrate. It can bind and then release phosphate, but it doesn't work like that for nitrate.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 05:17 PM   #12
Jamesjugs
Registered Member

Quick update
6 weeks of dosing Nopox and using Deltec400 skimmer.
Nitrates are now 15 from a starting point of 200+
I probably done about 70-90% of the recommended dose. This does work you just need to be patient.

During this time I haven’t bothered with water changes either.
I now plan to slowly reduce it to Zero and only start again if the nitrates rise.

Unread 12/16/2018, 07:13 PM   #13
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Good you are seeing results...
Note that nitrate reduction is only one reason for water changes.
They also help raise/maintain major and trace elements as well as remove other elements that are in excess..doc/metals,etc...
Reducing or eliminating water changes should be done with knowledge about what else may need to be dosed or exported in other ways..