Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2016, 11:45 PM   #51
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

I haven't. I'd suggest not trying to do it by volume of salt, but rather by weight.

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2016, 11:55 PM   #52
Pellikan
Registered Member

I know there's electronic refractometers. Presumably using conductivity to test. There must be a white paper on it somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Pellikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2016, 11:59 PM   #53
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellikan View Post
I know there's electronic refractometers. Presumably using conductivity to test. There must be a white paper on it somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

You can do a conductivity probe for salinity. The electronic refractometers simply use a prism, light, and linear CCD to see offset (roughly the guts of the Milwaukee digital refractometer)

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
Unread 04/14/2016, 09:46 PM   #54
terabhrava
Registered Member

Had looked into the conductivity probes, biggest challenge there seems to be the cost. Probably the most expensive of the various aquarium sensors available. Either way, the raspberry pi 3 arrived, so certainly excited to get going with this mini aquarium enhancement.

Current Tank Info: 150g DD Cube, 40g Sump, Radion Pro G2, Koralia 1150 gph, Cad PLS-200 Skimmer, Tunze ATO
terabhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2016, 11:54 PM   #55
Pellikan
Registered Member

In doing some research I've discovered that my light is internally controlled by PWM and I'm getting a DC pump that would need to use the SDA and SCL pins. Mind you I haven't tried this yet. The point is this; while planning out my controller I'm going to do my best to make sure to use the regular GPIO pins first wherever I'm able and reserve the special function pins for their special functions.

Something to think about.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Pellikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2016, 08:24 AM   #56
mkzimms
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellikan View Post
In doing some research I've discovered that my light is internally controlled by PWM and I'm getting a DC pump that would need to use the SDA and SCL pins. Mind you I haven't tried this yet. The point is this; while planning out my controller I'm going to do my best to make sure to use the regular GPIO pins first wherever I'm able and reserve the special function pins for their special functions.

Something to think about.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

You may be interested in the 16-chan PWM breakout. https://www.adafruit.com/products/815

My lights are PWM as well (using LDD drivers - 4 channels) and I opted to do a USB serial connection between my PI and an arduino to make use of PWM pins at the start of my project. I wrote up a sketch to receive commands via serial to control all pins and pass back all pin states for the arduino. Code on the pi can then call a getArduinoStatus or setArduinoState function with arguments which then passes a serial command to the arduino.

I am however switching to a full node.js implementation on the PI and swaping out the arduino for the above breakout board.

Last edited by mkzimms; 04/19/2016 at 08:35 AM.
mkzimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2016, 09:30 AM   #57
yinuh
Registered Member

I built one also. Want to share code? Already did ph and leak detection. We did ato with relays and temp probes. Working on rodi refill shortly.

yinuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2016, 09:33 AM   #58
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkzimms View Post
You may be interested in the 16-chan PWM breakout. https://www.adafruit.com/products/815

My lights are PWM as well (using LDD drivers - 4 channels) and I opted to do a USB serial connection between my PI and an arduino to make use of PWM pins at the start of my project. I wrote up a sketch to receive commands via serial to control all pins and pass back all pin states for the arduino. Code on the pi can then call a getArduinoStatus or setArduinoState function with arguments which then passes a serial command to the arduino.

I am however switching to a full node.js implementation on the PI and swaping out the arduino for the above breakout board.

My one complaint with the PCA9685 is the limited 1.6kHz PWM frequency. It's fine visually but throws cameras for a loop.

I'm actually rebuilding my LEDBrick board to avoid this problem and run at a 10bit 30kHz PWM.

Unread 04/19/2016, 12:05 PM   #59
mkzimms
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatrus View Post
My one complaint with the PCA9685 is the limited 1.6kHz PWM frequency. It's fine visually but throws cameras for a loop.

I'm actually rebuilding my LEDBrick board to avoid this problem and run at a 10bit 30kHz PWM.

Interesting. Maybe I will leave my lights on the arduino then, and keep everything else native to the pi. I would like to remove the arduino all together though, just another point of failure.

Any ideas of a break out board with better spec for PWM?

Unread 04/19/2016, 01:23 PM   #60
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkzimms View Post
Interesting. Maybe I will leave my lights on the arduino then, and keep everything else native to the pi. I would like to remove the arduino all together though, just another point of failure.

Any ideas of a break out board with better spec for PWM?
What frequency are you using on the Arduino?

The PCA9635 is an option, but 100kHz is too high for most LED drivers. I don't know of a comparable all-in-one PWM chip which strikes the balance. It does work, but point a phone camera at a dimmed light - you'll see the rolling shutter bands on most drivers.

(You could get to 2.6kHz on the 9685 by driving it with a 50MHz clock, but thats pretty extreme).

Unread 04/19/2016, 01:53 PM   #61
mkzimms
Registered Member

Seems the Uno is 980 Hz on some pins and 490 Hz on others, so it may be a moot point for me anyway.

Unread 05/24/2016, 08:46 PM   #62
madkat
Registered Member

BigDave,
We are distant neighbors. I am curious how your project is going. I currently run an arduino to control my entire light system on my 180. looking to add a Pi for the WebUi.

would you be willing to share your knowledge to a Fellow DFWer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
I did one as well, only I'm using both the Pi and an Arduino Mega.

The Pi is mostly used for user IO and I'm using the Mega for the actual control.

The entire Pi app is written in python using Kivy for the gui. Every 5 minutes I upload current stats to my web server.

In the event the app crashes or the Pi locks up, the Arduino will continue running on it's own.

I have two pH probes, a temp probe, 5 float switches and 10 outputs (2 lights, 4 pumps, heater, chiller, co2, and ocean's motions (wavemaker)).

current development state.

http://reef.wallings.net/index.php/e...t/electronics/

except I have ph working now

180 Gallon RR, t-5 retro, custom stand, 29 gallon sump, 20 gallon refuge, 4 true Amphiprion ocellaris ( not false-percs), dwarf lionfish - Dendrochirus brachypterus, Desjardini Sailfin - Zebrasoma desjardini, Flame Angel - Centropyge loriculus

Current Tank Info: 180 , t-5 retro, converting to LED, custom stand
madkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2016, 12:33 PM   #63
metzz71
Registered Member

All, I finally have a releasable version. This version has support for the 3 wire temp probe and the Atlas pH probe with their USB Isolation Board. I am offering this software release at $59.99. I will also have two build out options available if you prefer to buy prebuilt. These are build to order and are offered $400 with pH and $260 w/o pH plus shipping.

My software includes support of up to 12 channels, 2 float switches, temp probe, atlas pH, WiFi, web interface, and more. Install script and instructions included.

I have been running this software on two tanks with great success and looking forward to many updates in the future!

Reminder, this is not intended to replace a Neptune Apex. We want to deliver simplified and modular web controllable features to your aquariums.

Please contact me with interest.

metzz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2016, 12:05 AM   #64
Spar_10
Registered Member

@Metzz71 - having seen your set up first-hand, I was very impressed with what you put together. Well worth the money in my IT guy opinion. The components to make a worthwhile and accurate controller are not cheap (well, they are in some cases, but there are a lot of parts!)

I'm interested in the not so distant future. Can you make one with a clear case, and perhaps blue LCD displays of current pH, temp and salinity? I plan to display the controller so I can see it while I work, not hide it.

Also, thinking this can be a fun family project if you could sell the bits and let me assemble with my own choice of power outlets, switches, etc. (I want ones with USB ports and square face, for example, maybe wire in a DJ strip too). Just don't make me solder anything and we're good. Is that a future option?

Cheers!

Spar_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2016, 12:53 PM   #65
Jscwerve
Registered Member

I'm interested as well. Not pre-built though. I'd be willing to buy your software and throw some more in for schematics and bill of materials.

Jscwerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2016, 06:54 PM   #66
metzz71
Registered Member

I like the way you think!!! I will be working on the dodo's etc for you.

Unread 06/24/2016, 12:56 PM   #67
metzz71
Registered Member

Update: my latest build supports the new Atlas Scientific Eniac Raspberry Pi image! If you have not seen this yet, it is a really nice data logger tool. Thus far I have support for there pH probe. Any of their probes can be plugged in and their Eniac software will automatically recognize the module. This adds great data logger to my control software!

Unread 07/12/2016, 12:59 PM   #68
metzz71
Registered Member

I have created a website www.mact.tech with additional info and to purchase.

Unread 07/12/2016, 05:23 PM   #69
Fuel1976
Registered Member

I have been working with metzz71 for months now and this has been a eye opening experience.**For years I have been using multiple programable power strips to control my lights, pumps, and wave makers.**metzz71 software has saved me!**I love the interface and ease of configuration.**I do not know how I lived without the ability to turn my skimmer off from my phone! I now also have fail safe for my heaters in the event a heater is stuck on, the Pi will shut down the outlet it is plugged into if the tank gets too warm.**This project is an A+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 01:17 PM   #70
Salsaa
Registered Member

Hi Metzz71 & Fuel1976,

I was wondering if either of you would share some information about the DIY custom controller you created? I went to the site but it seems to be down. I am interested in building my own and would love to get your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Salsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 03:46 PM   #71
metzz71
Registered Member

https://www.facebook.com/MACT2016/

I removed the original site after very little interest.

Unread 02/22/2018, 05:07 PM   #72
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Do you have the code available on github or similar?

Tags
affordable, controller, diy, raspberry pi