Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2017, 11:01 AM   #1126
codydemmel4
Registered Member

very nice growth and colors! The last milli looks insane!

What are you keeping your alk and calc at now? How often are you doing water changes?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 01:31 PM   #1127
kainic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
I just bought some reef actif because of you Bulent.
Me too! 1st dose today, 1/4 spoon for 90g

Enviado desde mi SM-G900F mediante Tapatalk

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 01:51 PM   #1128
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
I just bought some reef actif because of you Bulent.
Good for you Brandon. When are you starting to dose? I already posted my dosing regimen in my thread, which is perhaps over cautious, but seems to be working up to now. You can also find it on my Facebook page with a diary. I think K+ and A- elements nicest compliment this product. Please provide regular updates. I will be following them. I am curious to find out how your corals will react to dosing.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
very nice growth and colors! The last milli looks insane!

What are you keeping your alk and calc at now? How often are you doing water changes?
Thanks.

KH: 6.85 dKH
Ca: 405 ppm

I endeavour to change water once a week, but I end up changing it less frequently than that (perhaps once every 10 days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainic View Post
Me too! 1st dose today, 1/4 spoon for 90g

Sergi,

You have been quiet lately. I did not realise you were following my experiment sneakily. Did you put the powder in a bottle with a little aquarium water and then shake it like you are making a cocktail before pouring it to your tank?

Can you please share your experience? Please feel free to comment under my Note on Reef Actif on my Facebook page.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 02:06 PM   #1129
Pife
Registered Member

I just ordered it yesterday so I don't believe it'll before Monday. I'll write a little note when I dose on your Facebook account. I do need to read back through your dosing regimen here as it appears to have worked great.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 02:18 PM   #1130
kainic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Sergi,

You have been quiet lately. I did not realise you were following my experiment sneakily. Did you put the powder in a bottle with a little aquarium water and then shake it like you are making a cocktail before pouring it to your tank?

Can you please share your experience? Please feel free to comment under my Note on Reef Actif on my Facebook page.
I consider myself a forum lurker.

I've been battling AEFW and a temp swing so there's not much to show from my tank.

My daily dosing routine is as follows:

3ml Flatworm Stop
2ml TM Bacto Balance
2ml TM A- Elements

As I said I started Reef Actif today and the first impression is that my water is clearer than before. I'll keep this dose for 4 weeks and then move to 1/2 spoon for 4 more weeks and finally recommended dose. What I do expect from Reef Actif is to lower my nitrate levels and increase my corals health.
I'll try to document the changes as much as I can. In my case there's a lot to improve (not like you, you see subtle changes because there's a limit on coral beauty and you are really close) so I will push Reef Actif to its limit.

Bülent, keep up your passion, reefers like you (and Biggles, Ed, Matt x 2, Mark) are guiding us to a better reefing experience. My thanks.

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 02:28 PM   #1131
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
I just ordered it yesterday so I don't believe it'll before Monday. I'll write a little note when I dose on your Facebook account. I do need to read back through your dosing regimen here as it appears to have worked great.

Here it is (Tick means 'experimented'):

If you notice lighting of colours and do not like it, then go back to your previous dose and maintain that.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
Unread 08/10/2017, 03:40 PM   #1132
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainic View Post
I consider myself a forum lurker.

I've been battling AEFW and a temp swing so there's not much to show from my tank.

My daily dosing routine is as follows:

3ml Flatworm Stop
2ml TM Bacto Balance
2ml TM A- Elements

As I said I started Reef Actif today and the first impression is that my water is clearer than before. I'll keep this dose for 4 weeks and then move to 1/2 spoon for 4 more weeks and finally recommended dose. What I do expect from Reef Actif is to lower my nitrate levels and increase my corals health.
I'll try to document the changes as much as I can. In my case there's a lot to improve (not like you, you see subtle changes because there's a limit on coral beauty and you are really close) so I will push Reef Actif to its limit.

Bülent, keep up your passion, reefers like you (and Biggles, Ed, Matt x 2, Mark) are guiding us to a better reefing experience. My thanks.

Thanks for your kind words Sergi.

Bad luck on AEFW. I hope you get rid of those pets soon before they cause any damage to acros.

Your intended dose is exactly what Hans-Werner Balling would recommend. However, due bad experiences with organic carbon dosing in the past, I am proceeding cautiously. I am looking forward to learning from your experience as I still have many weeks to reach to the maximum dose. Once you dose, you will get increased skimmate production. I would skim wet to remove excess bacteria. Keep an eye on your alkalinity especially if you notice any chance in coral growth. Polyp extension should increase. If you notice any increase in coral growth, increase your water flow if it is feasible to do so.

Unread 08/11/2017, 12:21 AM   #1133
illumnae
Registered Member

I've used Reef Activ for 2 weeks.

My tank is about 800 litres, so recommended dosage is about 1.5 scoops per week. I'm experimenting in a slightly different manner from Bulent. I am dosing 1/4 scoop 3 times a week, which totals up to 3/4 scoops per week, or 1/2 the recommended dosage.

Since Reef Activ is supposed to adsorb nutrients/elements and make them available to corals over time, I figured more frequent small dosages would be more beneficial to the corals than just once a week.

My intention over time is to increase it to 1/2 scoop 3x a week, which would make it the recommended dosage then after a couple of months experiment with 1 scoop 3x a week, which would make it double the recommended dosage, but 2/3 of the maximum dosage.

So far after 2 weeks of my initial dosing, what I observe is that coral polyp extension is very noticeably better. I noticed better polyp extension after starting K+ and A- dosing, but it's gotten even better since starting Reef Activ. Aquarium glass cleaning frequency is also decreased, similar to what Bulent has observed. I don't think I've dosed long enough to notice a different in colour and growth yet, but I do note that my consumption has not decreased despite removing 3 large colonies from my system, so it looks like consumption might have gone up slightly.

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 03:07 AM   #1134
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Xiang Lye,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Please provide more updates.

Because I am using Bacto-Balance at a quite established dose, I decided to start Reef Actif with a much more conservative dose. I agree that 3 times a week gives a better coverage for a seven day period. Once I know how much Reef Actif powder my system can handle, I will spread that amount to three times. That will be the last leg of my experiment, twice a week vs three times a week.

Unread 08/11/2017, 03:44 AM   #1135
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Inspired by Matt, I produced a short test video clip without sound using my son's GoPro last night. I deliberately got closer to corals to test GoPro's focus. As Matt said in his thread, colour rendition is a lot more realistic than iPhone. I even recorded myself while watching my tank to see what fish see inside their glass box. They must be fed up with the untidiness in my room.

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 08/11/2017 at 04:29 AM.
Unread 08/11/2017, 05:37 AM   #1136
reefmutt
Registered Member

That is so post modern of you to film yourself through the glass!
I would like to have seen that view.
The go pro takes a nice video and is better at colour rendition, for sure.
The pe is crazy in that Millie!
I think it's main limitation is depth of focus. It's not designed to focus up close like the iPhone is capable of doing..
More, more!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 06:04 AM   #1137
Pife
Registered Member

Now I need a go pro! Great video.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 06:07 AM   #1138
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
That is so post modern of you to film yourself through the glass!
I would like to have seen that view.
The go pro takes a nice video and is better at colour rendition, for sure.
The pe is crazy in that Millie!
I think it's main limitation is depth of focus. It's not designed to focus up close like the iPhone is capable of doing..
More, more!
Thanks for your feedback Matt. There are apparently some accessories that can be attached to GoPros to focus close up object (http://www.divephotoguide.com/underw...r-photo-video/). I am not sure how feasible it is to use them in a confined space like my reef tank. I will look at GoPro forums.

Unread 08/11/2017, 06:09 AM   #1139
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Now I need a go pro! Great video.

Thanks. My son is going back to his university at the end of next month. I am worried that he will take his camera with him. I may have to bribe him to leave the camera at home.

Unread 08/11/2017, 07:34 AM   #1140
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Thanks for your feedback Matt. There are apparently some accessories that can be attached to GoPros to focus close up object (http://www.divephotoguide.com/underw...r-photo-video/). I am not sure how feasible it is to use them in a confined space like my reef tank. I will look at GoPro forums.
It looks like the macro mate mini is the lens to get. It gets you up to 3 inches away from your subject. That's pretty good. The close up lens only gets you a couple inches closer that no lens at all..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 08:30 AM   #1141
Big E
Registered Member

Hi Bulent,

That polyp extension looks great.............makes sense as you have dropped your nutrient levels lower.

Were you at nutrient levels where you couldn't drop them lower with just the Bacto balance?

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 02:03 PM   #1142
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
Hi Bulent,

That polyp extension looks great.............makes sense as you have dropped your nutrient levels lower.

Were you at nutrient levels where you couldn't drop them lower with just the Bacto balance?
Thanks Ed.

Can you please re-phrase your question as I did not quite follow the highlighted bit?

I can lower nutrients to really low levels if I want to by simply increasing the dose slowly without worrying because of the way Bacto-balance is designed means that some nutrients remain in the water column. That said, instead of lowering nutrients by increasing bacto-balance dose I decided to experiment with a Reef Actif instead. I did it simply because of my curiosity. I have insatiable appetite for experimentation.

Hopefully, I will give you a better answer once I understand your question.

Cheers

Unread 08/12/2017, 05:10 AM   #1143
Big E
Registered Member

Sorry for the quirky wording in my post.......I was bacically asking what you were tyring to accomplish with the Reef actif? I did see your nutrients have settled to new lower levels.

You did answer the question in that you are experimenting with Reef Actif........I'm not sure I see what it offers that Bacto balance doesn't? Bacto balance contains a carbon source, correct?

Ed
Unread 08/12/2017, 07:30 AM   #1144
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Sorry for the quirky wording in my post.......I was bacically asking what you were tyring to accomplish with the Reef actif? I did see your nutrients have settled to new lower levels.

You did answer the question in that you are experimenting with Reef Actif........I'm not sure I see what it offers that Bacto balance doesn't? Bacto balance contains a carbon source, correct?
Thanks Ed.

I am working on an intellectually acceptable answer to your perceptive question. I will come back to you once I have an answer.

Unread 08/12/2017, 10:10 AM   #1145
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Here are some NO3 and PO4 data. Below is some relevant information, which is worth noting. I will update these charts as I go along and will try to analyse them at some point in the future.
  • TM Reef Actif dosing began on 25th May 2017.
  • The peaks in NO3 and PO4 readings in the middle of July 2017 are due to the fact that I stopped dosing TM NP-Bacto-Balance between 5th July and 15th July as I was away.
  • Both NO3 and PO4 tests were carried out in the same day at the same time, NO3 followed by PO4.
  • TM NP-Bacto-Balance dose remains constant.
  • Feeding amount remained constant (more or less, but cannot be guaranteed) until 28th July 2017 after which it was increased to ~4 cubes per day from ~ 3 cubes per day.
  • I have included NO3 and PO4 data prior to the commencement of Reef Actif to see nutrient trends without it. The starting date was chosen randomly.

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 08/26/2017 at 03:56 PM.
Unread 08/14/2017, 05:46 AM   #1146
Big E
Registered Member

I read the comments from Hans you amassed on your facebook page from the German forum and some of it seems nonsensical..........that's not unusual as some of his posts can tend to contain psychobabble

The quotes on copper seem confusing. It expels zoo but not like other products?

From what I gather it's a "pastel color enhancer" that may not be as damaging as straight dosing of copper and/or other metals that expel zoo.

I did notice from your comparison (facebook) pics the gomezi does have some expelled zoo on the branch skin (lighter-whitish) in the after photo.

Ed
Unread 08/14/2017, 05:55 AM   #1147
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
I read the comments from Hans you amassed on your facebook page from the German forum and some of it seems nonsensical..........that's not unusual as some of his posts can tend to contain psychobabble

The quotes on copper seem confusing. It expels zoo but not like other products?

From what I gather it's a "pastel color enhancer" that may not be as damaging as straight dosing of copper and/or other metals that expel zoo.

I did notice from your comparison (facebook) pics the gomezi does have some expelled zoo on the branch skin (lighter-whitish) in the after photo.

All these coral product companies should do themselves a favor and just give us straight info on the results we should expect......that's all people care about.
What you read on my Facebook page is a translation submitted by someone to Google. This translation may or may not be faithful to Hans' original words. I do not know. I can also send you the original link in German. I will approach Hans-Werner and ask him to clarify a few points.He is good at responding to queries.

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 08/14/2017 at 06:13 AM.
Unread 08/14/2017, 06:07 AM   #1148
Big E
Registered Member

That would be great if he could give us more straight forward information. He used to occasionally post on RC, but I'm not sure he still does.

I've seen him posting at the "other" reef site.

Ed
Unread 08/16/2017, 08:24 AM   #1149
codydemmel4
Registered Member

What do you think of using Reef Activ by itself?

Or do you think you need to add in the other Tropic Marine products, such A-, K+ and Bacto Balance?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 08:33 AM   #1150
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
What do you think of using Reef Activ by itself?

Or do you think you need to add in the other Tropic Marine products, such A-, K+ and Bacto Balance?
I have not used Reef Actif one its own. So I cannot comment on it. I do not think there is any prerequisite that it should be used in conjunction with Bacto-Balance. However, information I read suggests that it is a good idea to use trace elements with it. In the context of TM, I refer to A- and K+ elements. Reading between the lines Reef Actif (or biopolymers contained in the products) binds not only nutrients, but also trace elements. Biopolymers are then broken down (i.e. decomposed) by symbiotic bacteria living on corals and filter feeders. I am getting the feeling that Reef Actif is like a transport mechanism.

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 08/16/2017 at 08:51 AM.