Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2016, 05:52 PM   #4376
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkie View Post
here's one I got. Got a cool little miss bar. collected from Marshalls. Arrives tomorrow morning! My first angel fish.

I'll be putting it in a 150gal SPS tank. I have a Moorish Idol in there that requires constant feeding. So hopefully the Regal will continue eating. It's currently eating mysis at Colin's.

https://youtu.be/1xbM6bv55hs

you get him from Collin?

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2016, 06:28 PM   #4377
m0nkie
Registered Member

yessir that's the one

Unread 05/09/2016, 06:30 PM   #4378
ThRoewer
Registered Member

From what I've seen, that gap in the bar may actually close with time so he becomes normal colored.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2016, 06:45 PM   #4379
m0nkie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
From what I've seen, that gap in the bar may actually close with time so he becomes normal colored.

Still.. my first angelfish. so she'll always be special! haha

Unread 05/09/2016, 06:53 PM   #4380
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
What is the submission look like? My smaller blue chest compressed his fins and swim sideways a little (body horizontal, actually about 45 degree, to sand instead of vertical). Is that submission?
That's roughly how it looks like, though the compressed fins for itself can also be the precursor to aggression or an attack.
For the submission pose they get their body in somewhat of an "S" shape while tilted sidewise and in front of the dominant, usually exposing their side.
From above it looks like they try to form an italic "T".
When it gets further towards bonding and spawning the female may also do something similar to the sidewise shaking you see with clownfish.
I've seen that all with dwarf angels (C. argi, C. bicolor, C. bispinosa).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty150 View Post
How can you tell which is a male and which is a female? lol
The little ones are all still females, but the larger one will eventually become the male.
I would say everything that comes in below 5 to 6 inch is still female.

Mature males have massive gill thorns, usually twice as long as those of females of equal size. This is usually the easiest way to tell male and female apart.

Under aquarium conditions they may mature at a smaller size, but the gill thorn difference between male and female should always develop.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 05/09/2016, 07:04 PM   #4381
carrots
Registered Member

small Regals

What's up with the flood of small yellow belly regals suddenly available. I picked up one that is under 2" and though it is eating and doing well in QT I'm still worried if it was captured with cyanide. When trying to get him to start eating, I used every live food I could find and wouldn't you know it he prefers small pellets, but only while they are sinking. Once any food hits the bottom he will not touch it. He started eating Mysis but I have to chop it up first due to his size.

IMG_1586[1].jpg

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2016, 07:18 PM   #4382
scuzy
Registered Member

Do you guys feed fresh manila clams from the Asian market once in awhile?

Unread 05/09/2016, 07:25 PM   #4383
m0nkie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
Do you guys feed fresh manila clams from the Asian market once in awhile?
yes and all the fish love it! you can buy the large ones and just toss half shell in.

I've been feeding all my fish wild caught frozen from Asian market. grind them to small pieces and freeze into thin sheets. Then just clip a piece onto a nori holder and watch the fish go nuts!

Unread 05/09/2016, 07:34 PM   #4384
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Wish I could find one of these by me to buy

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2016, 07:35 PM   #4385
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
Wish I could find one of these by me to buy
YBR are popping up everywhere.. Shouldn't be very hard to find one from ordering one from a LFS or online...

Unread 05/09/2016, 07:56 PM   #4386
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrots View Post
What's up with the flood of small yellow belly regals suddenly available. I picked up one that is under 2" and though it is eating and doing well in QT I'm still worried if it was captured with cyanide. When trying to get him to start eating, I used every live food I could find and wouldn't you know it he prefers small pellets, but only while they are sinking. Once any food hits the bottom he will not touch it. He started eating Mysis but I have to chop it up first due to his size.

Attachment 349947
That's why I can't wait till 30 days is up

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2016, 08:02 PM   #4387
AD87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
That's why I can't wait till 30 days is up
My small one was doing great, eating and all. After the 2 week caught him breathing fast then, bam dead. Is that a sign that he was caught with cynaid?

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2016, 10:32 PM   #4388
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:

Attachment 349947

You know where he is from?

I think at that size they are still opportunist feeders that take whatever they find.

Unread 05/10/2016, 05:23 AM   #4389
alton
Registered Member

Quote:

Attachment 349947
There was a year around the turn of the century that tiny clown triggers flooded the market. Every LFS in my area had 20 of them at $10 each. Maybe where ever these guys are coming from they had an extremely good hatch? As brave as mine is I am hoping he just swam out to the diver and was snagged with a net.

Last edited by Dino; 03/30/2018 at 05:33 AM.
Unread 05/10/2016, 06:14 AM   #4390
OrionN
Moved on

Is he in your office tank already? Did you pick up the new on at LFS also?

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 06:35 AM   #4391
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

If these guys start popping up like the clowns did for lower prices, I will be snagging a few!

Most of My Money I Spent On Whiskey, Women and Reefing, The Rest I Just Waisted!

Current Tank Info: 180 Mixed Reef
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 07:00 AM   #4392
splix
Registered Member

I've seen a lot on DD lately. My LFS got a yellow belly in, 5+", sold it to me for 1/2 of what they're on divers den for, which means he got it very cheap also.

splix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 07:41 AM   #4393
carrots
Registered Member

My little guy was listed as Orange Belly Regal Africa. My LFS got four in and sold all in a week. They were all thin but were tasting everything offered. Mine started swallowing food on day 3 but only small amounts at a time. It likes "Zoo Pro" pellets which I'm feeding about six times a day.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 11:50 AM   #4394
alton
Registered Member

Minh I broke all my rules and the Golden rule of QT with this regal. With me being 0 for 2 with tiny regals I decided to do something different, right or wrong. I bathed her in everything from formalin to methane blue to prazi pro for over 3 hours before placing her in my office tank. I didn’t have to worry about aggressive fish since all the fish are social with a pair of golden angels that never some out of the rocks other than to eat, blue spot jawfish and a very small CBB. Since it is my office tank she gets fed 8 times a day on average. Plus has plenty of liverock to graze on since the golden do not graze in the open. This one came from LA and the second one was delivered today, currently in Prazi Pro bath

Last edited by alton; 05/10/2016 at 11:55 AM.
Unread 05/10/2016, 12:41 PM   #4395
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Minh I broke all my rules and the Golden rule of QT with this regal. With me being 0 for 2 with tiny regals I decided to do something different, right or wrong. I bathed her in everything from formalin to methane blue to prazi pro for over 3 hours before placing her in my office tank. I didn’t have to worry about aggressive fish since all the fish are social with a pair of golden angels that never some out of the rocks other than to eat, blue spot jawfish and a very small CBB. Since it is my office tank she gets fed 8 times a day on average. Plus has plenty of liverock to graze on since the golden do not graze in the open. This one came from LA and the second one was delivered today, currently in Prazi Pro bath
What is your formaline, meth blue, and prazipro procedure?

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 01:49 PM   #4396
alton
Registered Member

Acclimate to my water then 1 gallon of my tank water mixed with 1/2ml of ich x for 1 hr. Then the exact same in another bucket with 1/2ml methane blue, and then a new bucket with 1/2ml prazi pro. After I place in another bucket with just tank water, after 1/2 hr I move it into my tank. I move the fish from bucket to bucket using a styrofoam cup. Like I said not the way I normally have done it right or wrong, I just wasn't going to place a fish in my tank without some sort of bath. Todays process took 4 1/2 hours. Minh the new fish is even smaller than the first, and I am not sure if the CBB is not happy seeing another regal but he is being a little bit of a bully.

Unread 05/10/2016, 01:56 PM   #4397
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
I am not sure if the CBB is not happy seeing another regal but he is being a little bit of a bully.
Give him a mirror, lol

Unread 05/10/2016, 02:02 PM   #4398
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Acclimate to my water then 1 gallon of my tank water mixed with 1/2ml of ich x for 1 hr. Then the exact same in another bucket with 1/2ml methane blue, and then a new bucket with 1/2ml prazi pro. After I place in another bucket with just tank water, after 1/2 hr I move it into my tank. I move the fish from bucket to bucket using a styrofoam cup. Like I said not the way I normally have done it right or wrong, I just wasn't going to place a fish in my tank without some sort of bath. Todays process took 4 1/2 hours. Minh the new fish is even smaller than the first, and I am not sure if the CBB is not happy seeing another regal but he is being a little bit of a bully.
Just wondering/an idea... (and if you weren't in a hurry to get the fish into your display...)

Couldn't all that be done in the QT?

Put the fish in the QT - add the Formalin - then after (an hour?, or?) run carbon to get rid of the Formalin.

Then the next day - add the Meth Blue for (an hour?, or?) - run carbon to get rid of the Meth Blue.

Then the next day add the Prazi for (an hour?, or?) - run the carbon to get rid of the Prazi.

And then just let the fish stay in QT for awhile?

Unread 05/10/2016, 02:13 PM   #4399
scuzy
Registered Member

i would formalin bath, then ttm, prazi during ttm and then in to cycle QT tank for observation for velvet. and if all goes well after 2 weeks place in display.

Unread 05/10/2016, 02:18 PM   #4400
scuzy
Registered Member

My regal actually went through a second formalin bath before going to its third transfer.