Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/26/2016, 06:08 AM   #1
kwstudz
Registered Member

Skimmer Help, Overflowing and fluctuating

Hey Guys,
Just trying to start my first big reef tank. 150 gl. I previously had a 30 gallon but with the new one, trying to put the sump in the basement. The issue(s) I am having currently is my skimmer water level changes or fluctuates and when I turn on the system or after a power outage my skimmer overflows...
I am using a xp-2000 ext cone and pumping it with a hydor 740. the hydor is pumping into the skimmer and that goes into a tank below. there is a return pump off to the side that pumps the water back into the tank with the hydor. I can get the water level with the hydor constant, but it doesn't help the skimmer too much. It still fluctuates after it stops overflowing. I attached a picture of the setup (I think) and any help/advice would be appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160825_224351.jpg (55.3 KB, 36 views)
kwstudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2016, 08:27 AM   #2
mjw357
Registered Member

Not familiar with that skimmer, but it looks to me like it could be 'flushing'.
Water comes from pump, over tank edge and down thru union into skimmer? then out, up and thru valve, then down into tank below?
You may need to vent the output pipe right after the valve. When the output pipe gets full, it creates a siphon and pulls all the water out of the skimmer till it gets a little air. The siphon breaks, skimmer fills up, repeat.
Just a theory. Good luck!

Current Tank Info: 29 gal QT/29 gal FW tank << all for sale
mjw357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2016, 12:01 PM   #3
kwstudz
Registered Member

You have the flow right, sorry for the bad picture.
Just to clarify, the output pipe siphons until enough air causes the siphon to break? So putting in a vent will allow the air to escape never causing the break?
I will try venting the output pipe. When I do this, does the vent need to be above the water level of the skimmer?

Unread 08/26/2016, 12:14 PM   #4
mjw357
Registered Member

Yes, not being familiar with how that skimmer works, that's all I can think of.
Put a tee right after the valve on the outlet. Run pipe vertically at least above the water level in the skimmer. You might even want to go over the top of the sump so water could dump back in there if need be.
You might also just try upsizing your outlet pipe after that valve. Go from 3/4 to 1-1/2 or whatever. PVC pipe is pretty cheap.

Current Tank Info: 29 gal QT/29 gal FW tank << all for sale
mjw357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2016, 08:48 PM   #5
kwstudz
Registered Member

Yep that was it. I appreciate the help with that.
My pipe in was 1" going out is 1.5"
Thanks again though

Tags
fluctuating, overflow, plumbing, protein skimmer