Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2010, 11:17 PM   #1
breakdanc3
Registered Member

Smile My Duncan Coral Recovery

hi this is breakdanc3, i'd like to share with you my Duncan coral recovery. This makes me very happy to see my duncan coral doing great now. From the beginning i had some poor reef keeping practices ( tap water, lights not on a set timer, not feeding the tank, really crappy petsmart skimmer.. ).Each tap-water water change brought in more phosphate and nitrates. Red cyanobacteria was my main display as it covered the entire sandbed in a blanket. My torchcoral almost died as well, it was beginning to peel off of its skeleton. I decided not to give up and i invested my money in a awesome warner marine protein skimmer, an RO water filter unit, and smaller more easy to manage tank; a 28g jbj nano cube with compact fluorescents.
Photobucket

so i threw all my corals in there. the green star polyps thrived. and the torch coral took root to its shell again. see if u can find the duncan coral lol. . its in there.
Photobucket

heres a few months down the line... i moved the duncan coral .. see if u can find it again
Photobucket

This tank did amazingly well for a period of time.. it went through a coral bleaching period just recently and hair algae. i wasn't to sure for what reason but i began to fight back. I started vodka dosing as well as cleaning my skimmer more often. I also started feeding it once a day again and bi-weekly 1/3rd water changes. I was slacking on both of those areas. Just feeding more often and cleaning more often brought the color back very slowly. i also noticed that i hadn't changed my lightbulb in a year, and that could also be part of the problem. i wanted to move on to metal halide but i was convinced to try LED's after seeing soundwave's article. So i have a new setup now LED powered, designed to mimic the 20k halide look. Its a 29gallon with 10g sump. I built the hood and stand and light fixture. just need some hinges now lol . .
Photobucket

See if u can find the Duncan Coral. .. green star polyps are recovering really slowly, everything else really well, the mushrooms and softies may not like the new intensity. but ill just have to wait and see. .its been up for about 3 weeks now., My hitch hiker Acro is turning fluorescent green again under the new lights, so im digging it.
Photobucket

This is about a 1 year time frame. .. and it was slow very slow recoverying .. then it just boomed. at this rate ill have frags in no time.
Photobucket
Photobucket
side view and The Torch Coral

Photobucket
Photobucket

anyways, ill try and keep ppl up to date on how the LED tank is doing. Im still skeptical myself it just needs more time but looks great right now..

breakdanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2010, 11:29 PM   #2
T Diddy
Slayer of Mice

love the progress...keep it up!

Current Tank Info: 140 Gallon DSA in-wall, foam/rock wall, DIY LED, 40g sump, Precision Marine Skimmer, 100 gallon refugium, NO3, PO4,NH3/4 undetectable, Mg, Ca, KH...eeehhhhhh?
T Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2010, 10:01 AM   #3
rogersb
Registered Member

nice save and the torch looks great

rogersb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29g, biocube, duncan, led, lighting.