Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/12/2012, 04:50 PM   #1
septicdeath
Registered Member

Flame angel questions

So, I went against most people's recommendations about flame angels (had a lot to do with the kid and the wife both wanting him, but I still allowed it). Anyways, I was wondering what exactly to be worried about. Let me first mention that the f.angel has been in the tank for about 2 months, and I have been trying to pay attention to him and see if he is eating my corals. I've watched him nip at the acan's once, and maybe each of my sps (slimmer, blue tort, neons bird nest) but all three of those sps corals are growing. It's really like it's always on the prowl for food, it's not like he hits it and hits it again, and again. For what it's worth, he nips more at the plugs that the frags are connected too (coralline and green algae forming on the plugs), he occasionally hits the frag plugs of the stuff on the frag rack, mostly only the acan's really react to it, and the heads close up after being touched. I bought a trap, but I notice that while trying to not feed the tank to create the situation where the fish will be willing to go in the trap, that not feeding him has him cruising around nipping at the rock, the sand, the pods on the walls, and occasionally one of the sps's. I'm almost starting to think that he's not a threat to the corals, he's not munching on them repetitively like I assume is what happens when they "eat" corals.

Would someone confirm to me, because like my slimmer has three new branches growing, and the birds nest is still growing, yeah, occasionally the acan's closes up after the angel swims by and touches it once.

It seems like if I continue to slow down on the feeding while acclimating them to the trap, that I am creating the environment that will foster him eating my corals, and that maybe just keeping him fed, is another answer. As like I said, he's nipping at snails, rocks, sand, frag rack, frag plugs, and everything else, not just the corals. I think he's just looking for food rather than trying to eat the corals?

Hope that rant makes sense, and someone can tell me more.

Like when a angel eats a sps, it hovers and picks at it repetitively and looks deliberate at getting too the corals flesh?

Thanks

-John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

septicdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 02:03 AM   #2
larac
Registered Member

Dwarf angels are hit or miss. It is their nature to cruise continually for algae all day, whether it be on your glass, rock or corals. The best way to check for damage is polyp extension. If they are nipping polyps, your SPS will stop extending. Just continue to watch your tank closely for coral health.

I would keep the flame well fed. If you are determined to keep him primed for the fish trap- then you will have to still feed him several times a day from it. If he is hungry he will absolutely go after your coral.

Also, make sure to feed Nori several times a week on a clip or rock that he can munch on part of the day. Feeding well is the best defense against nipping, but not a cure for a fish prone to it.

larac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 07:17 AM   #3
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larac View Post
Dwarf angels are hit or miss. It is their nature to cruise continually for algae all day, whether it be on your glass, rock or corals. The best way to check for damage is polyp extension. If they are nipping polyps, your SPS will stop extending. Just continue to watch your tank closely for coral health.

I would keep the flame well fed. If you are determined to keep him primed for the fish trap- then you will have to still feed him several times a day from it. If he is hungry he will absolutely go after your coral.

Also, make sure to feed Nori several times a week on a clip or rock that he can munch on part of the day. Feeding well is the best defense against nipping, but not a cure for a fish prone to it.
Excellent advice!

Unread 05/13/2012, 07:37 AM   #4
bullitr
broke but happy

i agree!! great advice

no more hyposalinity...

Current Tank Info: 96x36x29 inwall
bullitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 07:50 AM   #5
flfireman1
Wrasse aficionado

In my opinion your correct in thinking that the nipping that your flame is doing is not much to worry about. I once had a small regal in my display and when I added a colony of blastomosas that angel went after it like nothing I had ever seen before. It wasnt your typical nip here and there that you describe. It was a full on charge to eat the colony.

I say keep your angel, flames are one of the most beautiful pygmy's around. Not many fish have that kind of a striking coloration. Good luck.

flfireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 12:45 PM   #6
KRAZE
Moved On

Here at the LFS i work at we have a flame angle in our 200g main display tank, doesn't touch anything and that tank has about 25 different corals.

I would say that you have a "well behaved" fish lol, just like the one here. We put a butterfly (forget which one) in there and he non stop nipped the chalice and pagoda until we caught him, but the flame angel never touched a thing.

KRAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 03:01 PM   #7
SKurj
Registered Member

One thing I have heard, and hopefully someone with actual experience can speak up... is that the fish are more likely to go after an unhappy coral (They give off some excretion or something the fish might take a liking too when unhappy?)

ANy truth to that?

So a tank with happy corals (perhaps established corals) is less likely to have nipping issues?

Current Tank Info: 40g Long sumpless
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Joshporksandwic
Moved On

I've had 2 flame angels in different tanks in 1 they pecked at the acans and on another one at my Scolys. I took them out sadly because they are beautiful. I like angels so much I purchased a 150 tall for a fish only tank.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Joshporksandwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 03:10 PM   #9
sedor
Registered Member

With angels is not always evident right away if they are going to be coral nippers either. Sometimes it takes a long time and then one day they decide they want to eat all of your sps. Its hit or miss, but it will be obvious because as a previous poster mentioned, the coral will not extend its polyps if its being harassed.