Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2010, 05:31 PM   #76
ksalt
Registered Member

Wow. Thank you

ksalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 05:50 PM   #77
barnabus's gimp
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahham View Post
If I can find one I will surely do. I'm not sure what will be in the tank at this moment. I will be concentrating on fish from the local environment; maybe a couple of barracudas? I've been catching a lot lately while fishing.
sweet that would be so awesome. this tank is so sweet.

barnabus's gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 06:25 PM   #78
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

All I can say is wow,Waiting to see that thing full.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 07:00 PM   #79
Mcubed
Registered Member

Can't wait to see this up and running! Seems average compared to the scale of other construction projects in the U.A.E. .

Mcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 08:21 PM   #80
JimmyK
Registered Member

What a great build, glad you are posting so we can follow along.

JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 08:30 PM   #81
Saltwaternooby
SPS junkie

This is a daunting task, way more than i could undertake...( well what the wife would let me undertake)

Saltwaternooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 08:38 PM   #82
bigreefer1978
Moved On

can i say WOW will be following this one

bigreefer1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 08:41 PM   #83
Octoshark
Marine Biology Student

I would like to go swimming

Unread 01/28/2010, 08:59 PM   #84
harper
Premium Member

Very interesting setup. Really interested seeing it evolve.

harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 08:59 PM   #85
firereef
Moved On

Pics pics pics!!! Lol

firereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 09:04 PM   #86
DThompson
Registered Member

WOW. This may be worth a trip to see. I have always wanted to visit.

Subscribed.

DThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 11:17 PM   #87
amore169
Registered Member

Great build!!!

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallon Starphire Rimless. 8 A360WE Kessils with controller. Sfiligoi Infinity DDE 6X250 light fixture. Bubble King Internal 300 Deluxe. 215 Gallon Oceanic Starphire Ultimate FOWRL. 34 Gallon Solana.
amore169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 01:34 AM   #88
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoshark View Post
I would like to go swimming
That's what my kids keep saying

nahham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 01:40 AM   #89
RufRidn
Premium Hustler

Cant wait to see the completed pics.

Do yo have any pics of the fish farm when it was running? What kind of fish did you have?

Current Tank Info: 100g Corner Tank, mag 18 return, Bubble Magus Nac6, Vortech MP40W, Retro T5 and 250w 14k de Lumenmax Elite
RufRidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 11:03 AM   #90
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRidn View Post
Cant wait to see the completed pics.

Do yo have any pics of the fish farm when it was running? What kind of fish did you have?
I'm sorry but I don't have any pics of the fish farm while it was running. The fish I kept is called Subaiti in the area and sadly I don't know what it's called in English, here is a photo though:

We also threw in a lot of the fish we caught, most became dinner for the Subaiti though .

Unread 01/29/2010, 12:18 PM   #91
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

sooner or later RC is going to need a new sub forum called CRAZY Large Reef Tanks.

You mentioned you are going to be using local livestock, what's the coral availability where you are? Are you thinking at all about bringing in other "exotic" fish or coral or is everything going to be sourced locally?
I love the idea of using water from the ocean, obviously it can't get any better than that provided you have no weird density of pollution by the shoreline.

Just outstanding that you have an opportunity to build what is in essence a commercial display outside your home. Add me to the growing list of jealous viewers of your progress.

Current Tank Info: round and shallow japanese spot light absurdity
dmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 12:38 PM   #92
starustech
Registered Member

WOW!! Looking forward to seeing this up and running…

Have you considered consulting with an environmentalist and a marine biologist to check the sea water and bio diversity in the area you plan to pull water from the ocean? This might help with some of the water quality questions and aid in sourcing local sea life that is accustomed to that area/water.

starustech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 12:59 PM   #93
Financial Panth
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm sorry but I don't have any pics of the fish farm while it was running. The fish I kept is called Subaiti in the area and sadly I don't know what it's called in English, here is a photo though:

We also threw in a lot of the fish we caught, most became dinner for the Subaiti though .
I think theyre called spotted groupers. I could be wrong though.

Please keep us updated. We are all anxious to see how it turns out.

Financial Panth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 02:03 PM   #94
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorel View Post
sooner or later RC is going to need a new sub forum called CRAZY Large Reef Tanks.

You mentioned you are going to be using local livestock, what's the coral availability where you are?
Thank you for the encouraging words. Here are some of the corals found in the locally (courtesy of the ministry of environment and water):
  1. Cauliflower Coral (Pocillopora)
  2. Finger coral & Hump Coral (Porites)
  3. Table Coral (Acropora)
  4. Cabbage Coral (Montipora)
  5. Lesser Brain Coral (Platygyra)

Those are ones they mentioned as being some of the more important types of corals in the UAE sea environment.

Quote:
Are you thinking at all about bringing in other "exotic" fish or coral or is everything going to be sourced locally?
I am planning to start with things that are locally sourced, and keep my eye on the quality of the water and the tank overall. If everything goes as planned, I'll be expanding to include fish and coral that aren't local. I just don't want to spend money on this expensive fish that will dry straight after introducing it to the tank because of me failing to provide a good environment.

Quote:
I love the idea of using water from the ocean, obviously it can't get any better than that provided you have no weird density of pollution by the shoreline.
I've been asking about this for quite a bit, and I come from a fishermen family so "we" know a thing or two about the sea. The majority of the pollution here is concentrated in the surface of the water; one of the reasons I am getting the water 2 - 3 meters belows the surface. Furthermore, even if something happens with the sea, the fuge is there for me to be able to close the system completely for a period of time until the issue is resolved, or at least this is what I hope.

Quote:
Just outstanding that you have an opportunity to build what is in essence a commercial display outside your home. Add me to the growing list of jealous viewers of your progress.
For me, it's a dream come true. I've been traveling for so long (and still am to a certain extent) and having something like this will help make my house a home

Unread 01/29/2010, 02:07 PM   #95
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starustech View Post
WOW!! Looking forward to seeing this up and running…

Have you considered consulting with an environmentalist and a marine biologist to check the sea water and bio diversity in the area you plan to pull water from the ocean? This might help with some of the water quality questions and aid in sourcing local sea life that is accustomed to that area/water.
I did actually. When I started the fish farm, the ministry of environment and water was good enough to help with the setup, check the quality of the water, provide the fish for the farm, and came by every once a while to check on the progress. I was very glad when the water quality in the fish farm was exactly the same as the quality outside and very good in general. I got this without even circulating the water 24/7; it was close to 12hrs/day. But then again, we are talking about a fish farm and not a for-people-to-look-at aquarium

Unread 01/29/2010, 03:40 PM   #96
MMERITT28
Registered Member

This is very impressive. Very interested in seeing this progress. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

MMERITT28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 04:18 PM   #97
Bernie21
Registered Member

"We did have an incident where guy wandered into the our 'backyard' and decided he might have better luck fishing in the fish farm than in the sea, but thankfully the fish didn't bite, I did"

Get a dog!!! Get a few of them!!

On a serious note, the plans seem awesome!! I plan on following your build!!! GL!!

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to a 0 Gal non Mixed Reef - Direct sun watts & 1x moon Actinics. RIO 00 return, no skimmer Skimmer.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 11:25 PM   #98
EriksReptiles
Registered Member

Following along. Seems like a good build!

Thanks Erik

Current Tank Info: all kinds of sizes, fish only and reefs
EriksReptiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 11:47 PM   #99
seashark
Registered Member

for sure tagging along this one,

seashark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2010, 04:08 AM   #100
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
... the ministry of environment and water was good enough to help with the setup, check the quality of the water, provide the fish for the farm, and came by every once a while to check on the progress. I was very glad when the water quality in the fish farm was exactly the same as the quality outside and very good in general...
-Hi nahham ,

I`m just curious , what where the results of the tested waterparameters ?
Because i saw some kind of a harbor on the other side of the bay ,and there a lot of building activity `s as well , hopefully they don`t pollute the sea to much.

greetingzz tntneon

Current Tank Info: 154 G SPS dominated + 25 G sump ; lighting : 210 W LED XPG/XRE (sunrise) + 150 W T5 (bl+ , 15°K , fiji , bl+) ; skimmer : Royal Exclusive supermarine 200 ; BM 3-Ch dosing pump (CA/ ALk and top-off) ; tunze 6085 circulation
tntneon is offline   Reply With Quote