Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/02/2015, 02:19 PM   #2001
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
apologies, just get caught up in discussion sometimes.
starting culture from
https://algaebarn.com/product/oceanm...phytoplankton/
Not a problem, thanks

BigJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2015, 02:44 PM   #2002
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
Cool thanks. Do you use it to culture seperately or just dose your tank. Do you have dino?
how would he start a culture from dead phytoplankton?

PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2015, 03:00 PM   #2003
Dfee
Registered Member

I just use it to dose my tank. Last time I saw Dino was in August.

Dfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2015, 04:20 PM   #2004
karimwassef
Registered Member

results from the clean method:

before:

photo C64EE2BF-AD68-4075-B149-3DF317D5E5B1_zpsn8ov3ei5.jpg

photo 72193F9F-E103-4DEE-B241-8D30BB7F7E99_zpse3ev5q2v.jpg

and after:

photo DF4A880F-2F6C-4719-BAF9-A0375E50F6A0_zpsq6aig0fj.jpg

photo 6083FA1C-BF78-4EE2-9DBF-381FAFA79C4D_zpsvclkzhfu.jpg

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2015, 06:08 PM   #2005
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post

before:

and after:

Did you do water changes?

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2015, 06:44 PM   #2006
karimwassef
Registered Member

Not for a month

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 10/02/2015, 09:12 PM   #2007
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
how would he start a culture from dead phytoplankton?
There not dead, the live version is just fresher. Also I'm not using phytoplankton to culture phytoplankton, I'm using it to culture pods. Phytoplankton doesn't need to be "alive" to be used by organisms. Also it's micro algae, so its not all alive in the traditional sense anyway.

Unread 10/02/2015, 09:14 PM   #2008
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:

before:

and after:

Awesome, what were all the steps you took?

Unread 10/03/2015, 12:23 AM   #2009
karimwassef
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...t=dino&page=52

Slow flow High Power UV
Lights out
Constant skimming
I also had a macro algae refugium with pods.

Unread 10/03/2015, 04:28 AM   #2010
DNA
Registered Member

What is producing all that Oxygen?

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2015, 07:47 AM   #2011
DNA
Registered Member

When I say plankton I'm thinking of a vast mix of bio diverse small creatures, but not just a single strain of a random species.
Many of them just need to be introduced in small numbers to got get a foothold and hopefully stay for good while others will perish.
It's all about the right conditions and finding ways to keep them alive.

I was thinking more like we should aim for ways for plankton to thrive instead of just keep buying them online.
Diverse plankton in reef tanks is the holy grail of reefkeeping and not having it is the reason why much of our livestock is not self sustainable.

Unread 10/03/2015, 08:05 AM   #2012
karimwassef
Registered Member

I had some bubbles caused by my overflow siphon not being able to keep up with my surge. The emergency overflow runs making bubbles.

Unread 10/04/2015, 05:28 PM   #2013
ZandEDad
Registered Member

Thank You

I just spent most of my precious, precious Sunday reading through this thread. For the past few years, ever since I started my 65 gallon tank, I've had corals and snails die off and seen little to no growth in my corals. I figured it was something I was doing wrong - too much/too little light, phosphates too high, bad quality salt, wild param swings, etc. So I chased a fix. Upped/reduced lighting; dosed; skimmed; added a calcium reactor; added a phosphate-removing reactor. But still nothing...

All this time I've also seen no coralline growth, except in shaded areas, and a nice "film" of brown "algae" on my rocks, back wall and sometimes on the sand bed. I would scrape it off and blow it off only to see it return. And the stink from the water changes led me to believe my sand bed was bad...

So I tore it down a month ago, cleaned it with fresh water, replaced the sand but reused the live rock. Lo and behold, the "algae" is back and I had a nice goopy explosion on my sand bed just yesterday. Only this time, there were bubbles. Dinoflagellates! What I didn't realize was that I've had them for years - it explains the alk swings with few corals; the lack of coralline growth; the lack of coral growth.

After reading these 81 pages, I've now realized something else - my microfauna are gone. And my snails (mainly Astrea) died off. No spaghetti worms, no feather dusters in the sand bed (I do have them on the rock), all bristle-worms and micro brittle stars are gone and there are zero pods. I figure at some point the Dino's released toxins that killed everything, or maybe I starved them out even though I feed decently...

So until today and after reading all of your posts, I had no clue. Now I have one and at least some plans of attack. I'm thankful my situation isn't as bad as some of yours, but I'm envious of some of the gorgeous tanks out there. I want what they have. With all of your posts these past few years, I may finally be on my way to that level of success. Keeping fingers crossed!

As an aside, before my upgrade, I ran a 40 breeder with a 250 watt halogen, no sump, no skimmer and just a modified Aquaclear with chaeto. Had amazing life in that tank (corals didn't really grow but that's probably because I should have dosed to get my parameters up).

ZandEDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2015, 06:20 PM   #2014
DNA
Registered Member

I wonder how many reefers like you are still in the dark not knowing why success seems to be for everyone else.
They spend countless hours and do all they can to take care of their tiny part of the ocean only to have it wrecked by a microscopic organism that likes to dominate it and call it home.

Unread 10/05/2015, 02:29 AM   #2015
karimwassef
Registered Member

Should we start a campaign to educate the masses on the dangers of dino? Recognize the symptoms and take action! Don't be another faceless victim of the scourge...

Unread 10/05/2015, 08:23 AM   #2016
natas
Registered Member

Quote:
Should we start a campaign to educate the masses on the dangers of dino? Recognize the symptoms and take action! Don't be another faceless victim of the scourge...
I really think Dino ID is important. I can't tell you how many local reefers I have visited to buy frags and have it. 90% of the time they think it is cyano that they cannot get rid of and just live with it.

BTW, just wanted to give an update on mine. My dino is starting to die off. I reached out to Dr. Tim and asked for advice. He recommended Re-fresh and Waste away treatment. I don't want to jump the gun here but this appears to be working. It's basically dosing a high amount of Bacteria into the tank. Whats odd is I tried doing something similar in my last tank with other bacteria products and had no luck. Maybe these strains are stronger and compete better. Only time will tell if this works

natas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 11:01 AM   #2017
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
That is a very good idea, but doing it properly takes some effort.
Do you have a plan?

I've tried this with the locals, but they are in denial and most don't even have SPS so it's not a big concern.

Unread 10/05/2015, 01:01 PM   #2018
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandEDad View Post
. Dinoflagellates! What I didn't realize was that I've had them for years - it explains the alk swings with few corals; the lack of coralline growth; the lack of coral growth.
Dinoflagellates can cause alk swings? I'm confused

Unread 10/05/2015, 02:48 PM   #2019
natas
Registered Member

Quote:
If you had a mass bloom of Dino it could cause the alk consumption to go down which would could cause you to have a large swing upwards in alk if you dose ALK/CA or have a calcium reactor at a set interval. Large blooms can stress your corals and other consumers of Alk/calcium

Unread 10/05/2015, 02:49 PM   #2020
natas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
What is producing all that Oxygen?

Funny thing is that the bubbles on the bottom of the rock cause that image to have a very nice 3d effect

Unread 10/05/2015, 03:02 PM   #2021
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natas View Post
If you had a mass bloom of Dino it could cause the alk consumption to go down which would could cause you to have a large swing upwards in alk if you dose ALK/CA or have a calcium reactor at a set interval. Large blooms can stress your corals and other consumers of Alk/calcium
Gotcha, makes sense

Unread 10/05/2015, 04:45 PM   #2022
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Some species of dino can use alkalinity (bicarbonates) directly as a carbon source. They have way too many biochemical tricks up their sleeves.

Re education: Did you guys all see Lucidog's posts? He had what sure looked like dinos, it killed off his CuC, but turns out it's Calothrix, a cyanobacteria! Impossible to confuse the two under a microscope. Perhaps we should start suggesting a trial of chemiclean to people who may have dinos.

I'm back home! Tank looks awful, rescued clownfish has a suspicious patch of white scales. I see a couple of dead ceriths too, not a great sign. Nitrates zero, phos maaaaybe .03.

New word: Oikotaxy- tropism exhibited by elderly men with bad hips and repairs involving ladders.

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15

Last edited by Quiet_Ivy; 10/05/2015 at 05:02 PM.
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 07:06 PM   #2023
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
Some species of dino can use alkalinity (bicarbonates) directly as a carbon source. They have way too many biochemical tricks up their sleeves.

Re education: Did you guys all see Lucidog's posts? He had what sure looked like dinos, it killed off his CuC, but turns out it's Calothrix, a cyanobacteria! Impossible to confuse the two under a microscope. Perhaps we should start suggesting a trial of chemiclean to people who may have dinos.

I'm back home! Tank looks awful, rescued clownfish has a suspicious patch of white scales. I see a couple of dead ceriths too, not a great sign. Nitrates zero, phos maaaaybe .03.

New word: Oikotaxy- tropism exhibited by elderly men with bad hips and repairs involving ladders.
I'm not sure if I have dinos or some brown cyano or calothrix so I was actually going to try chemiclean first. Can't hurt right? I've got a little red cyano anyway

Unread 10/05/2015, 08:00 PM   #2024
LuciDog
Registered Member

Did I hear my name?

So I got my sample under a scope and it's not Dino's (or at least the 3 spots I checked weren't). It's most definitely a strain of cyano, likely calothrix (resembles Dino's almost exactly, although may have some hair like features along with the snot)

FWIW - I ran 2 doses of chemiclean and it didn't touch this stuff. In fact, it's worse now after the frequent large water changes (30% x2 over 5 days).

I'm still battling seriously high phosphates, and I know that doesn't help, but they shouldn't impact a bacterial strain like this. I can already feel the knot forming... This is going to be just as bad.

Definitely encourage those who come here to get an ID. Calothrix is just the same. Same snot like texture, same classic nitrogen bubbles, same mass die off of snails. I did send photos to Pants, and he even agreed Dino's (prior to microscope). They look the same.

LuciDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2015, 01:04 AM   #2025
DNA
Registered Member

Can you link your pictures please.