Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2016, 02:10 PM   #1
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

ECO Dreambox ECO feeder

Hi guys

I have tried to search several forums and also been in contact with Torsten at RE about their Dosing feeder. My interest in this Product is to use it for limewater.

Last summer I bought this ECO Dreambox: http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes/...-2d::1369.html

Included was among other features a RO tank, 2 mediafilters and the Deluxe 200 BK skimmer.

As I through many years have good experience with managing Ca/Mg/KH balance by a combination of calciumreactor and kalkmixer, I have the goal of continue using this in combination with the Dreambox.

At the moment the system is up and running with a Deltec KM500 mixer placed outside the Dreambox from my former tank. However due to spacelimitations and risk of leaks I evaluate the dosing feeder as a possible replacement, as this can fit inside the skimmerchamber, and I hope with the possibility to keep the nice lids on top.

I am searching for advice and if any has experiences with the Dosing feeder for limewater, and if so:

1. Does the Dosing feeder fit with the Dreambox lids in use?
2. Does the Dosing feeder include any mixing features similar to the KM500 or TLFs KM Reactor 300 by Julian Sprung?
3. Where are the actual inlet feed and outlet of the dosing feeder placed and what type of connectors/tubing?
4. Does it function with a saturated calciumhydroxid solution aka with a level of unsolved powder in the bottom?

Anyone that can support me With some experiences or answer?

Current Tank Info: 165 gallon mixed reef tank with RoyalExclusiv 45 gallon ECO Dreambox sump, BubbleKing DoubleCone 200 internal skimmer and Philips CoralCare Gen2 ligthing, Tunze Stream 3 circulation and KH controlled with an Alkatronic KH Controller and Dosetronic

Last edited by NorwayEagle; 01/14/2016 at 02:19 PM.
NorwayEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2016, 03:29 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

I assume you are talking about their new dosing containers? If so, they are about 46cm high and are not designed to fit in the dream box. They are meant to sit outside the dreambox and even have optional LED lighting to make them look attractive outside the sump. Aside from them being too tall, if the dosing container was low on fluid, the container would become buoyant and would float.

They do not presently include any mixing mechanisms.

The inlet is on the top of the container. There is a red 10mm tube that extends from a hole in the lid down to the bottom of the container. You slip your dosing tube down through the hole where it goes down into the tube to the bottom of the container. The 10 red tube insures that the dosing tube that is connected to your pump extends straight down to the bottom of the container while also serving as a vent.

These containers will support any kind of fluid you want but as I said, there is no mixing or stirring mechanism in them so you would need to mix the solution from time to time if you are using a solution that requires mixing.

Here are some photos.

In this photo you can see the 10mm hole. You drop the tube from your dosing pump through this hole down to the bottom of the container. The hole is larger than typical dosing pump tubing and serve as both a conduit to get the tube down to the bottom as well as a vent.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2016, 05:18 PM   #3
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

Thank you, I have focused on this version which is lower:
http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes/...ume::1436.html

I assume based on your description that if the feeder is filled with a saturated limewatersolution including unsaturated CaOH at bottom and with no mixing possibility the actual adding of RO water will cause the unsaturated CaOH to be pumped into the sump. Which obviously is not good for the system.

Anyway the outlet is still somewhat unclear to me?

And how does RE think this feeder can be used for limewater as mentioned in the link?

Current Tank Info: 165 gallon mixed reef tank with RoyalExclusiv 45 gallon ECO Dreambox sump, BubbleKing DoubleCone 200 internal skimmer and Philips CoralCare Gen2 ligthing, Tunze Stream 3 circulation and KH controlled with an Alkatronic KH Controller and Dosetronic
Unread 01/14/2016, 08:38 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwayEagle View Post
Thank you, I have focused on this version which is lower:
http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes/...ume::1436.html

I assume based on your description that if the feeder is filled with a saturated limewatersolution including unsaturated CaOH at bottom and with no mixing possibility the actual adding of RO water will cause the unsaturated CaOH to be pumped into the sump. Which obviously is not good for the system.

Anyway the outlet is still somewhat unclear to me?

And how does RE think this feeder can be used for limewater as mentioned in the link?
For the type of solution you are talking about such as kalk, you would need to mix it with regularity such as swirling the container. Personally, I wouldn't use it for Kalk as I would instead opt for a kalk container with a built in mixer/stirrer or I would add a kalk stirrer to the lid. Those that do use it for that kind of solution swirl their container daily which is a pain if you ask me.

Going back to the internal/in sump installation, the container will float as soon as the level is lower in the container than it is in the sump. As such, I wouldn't recommend it for internal use regardless of if it fits unless you weigh it down somehow or keep it full 24/7 which kind of defeats the purpose.

As for the outlet. The hole shown in the top below is 10mm and there is that red pipe shown in the photos above that is inside that hole. You drop your 1/4" or 6mm dosing tubing down into that hole all the way to the bottom of the container. The red pipe that extends down to the bottom of the container acts as a conduit or channel for the dosing tube to slide through. The dosing tubing is much smaller than the inside diameter of that red pipe so the pipe/hole in the lid also acts as a vent as there is space between the dosing tubing and the inside of the pipe. If there was a connection for the tubing on the top of the container, another hole would be needed to vent the container. Otherwise when fluid is removed from the container, a vacuum would be formed inside the container. As such, the single hole with the red pipe in it is dual purpose.

See the hole in the lid below.. You simply stick the tubing that's connected to your doser down that hole through the pipe until it hits the bottom. This makes it easy to fill or clean the container because the tubing slips in and out through the lid and you can use virtually any kind of dosing tubing.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 01/15/2016, 01:47 AM   #5
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

Thanks again, I drop further thoughts of using this Dosing feeder.
The reason for bringing up this topic was the claim at RE web:

"Suitable for trace elements (micronutrients, mirco elements), Balling system, lime water, etc."

My conclusion is that for lime water this is not true.

I attach a picture of my Dreambox, on the right side at the very back you may see the Deltec KM500 which is a perfect kalkstirrer.

What I wish is that I can place a kalkstirrer inside the sump in front and to the left of the skimmer. At the picture there is a zeoreactor at that spot, but this is only temporary.
I would like to use that free space at right for a Deltec PF501 calciumreactor, which so far is not in use.

As mentioned if a kalkstirrer not higher than the sump, the KM500 is 48 cm high, could be used I could also use the last Dreambox lid to keep everything nice and tidy.

IMG_0768.JPG

Unread 03/26/2019, 03:42 PM   #6
h3dgehog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
For the type of solution you are talking about such as kalk, you would need to mix it with regularity such as swirling the container. Personally, I wouldn't use it for Kalk as I would instead opt for a kalk container with a built in mixer/stirrer or I would add a kalk stirrer to the lid. Those that do use it for that kind of solution swirl their container daily which is a pain if you ask me.

Going back to the internal/in sump installation, the container will float as soon as the level is lower in the container than it is in the sump. As such, I wouldn't recommend it for internal use regardless of if it fits unless you weigh it down somehow or keep it full 24/7 which kind of defeats the purpose.

As for the outlet. The hole shown in the top below is 10mm and there is that red pipe shown in the photos above that is inside that hole. You drop your 1/4" or 6mm dosing tubing down into that hole all the way to the bottom of the container. The red pipe that extends down to the bottom of the container acts as a conduit or channel for the dosing tube to slide through. The dosing tubing is much smaller than the inside diameter of that red pipe so the pipe/hole in the lid also acts as a vent as there is space between the dosing tubing and the inside of the pipe. If there was a connection for the tubing on the top of the container, another hole would be needed to vent the container. Otherwise when fluid is removed from the container, a vacuum would be formed inside the container. As such, the single hole with the red pipe in it is dual purpose.

See the hole in the lid below.. You simply stick the tubing that's connected to your doser down that hole through the pipe until it hits the bottom. This makes it easy to fill or clean the container because the tubing slips in and out through the lid and you can use virtually any kind of dosing tubing.

Resurrecting this old thread... (:

So if I were to push my dosing line through the top hole, how does it connect with the red tube part? Is the red tube part connected to the top hole in any way via push connect?

Unread 03/26/2019, 05:37 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3dgehog View Post
Resurrecting this old thread... (:

So if I were to push my dosing line through the top hole, how does it connect with the red tube part? Is the red tube part connected to the top hole in any way via push connect?
You do not connect your tubing to the red pipe in there. You push the dosing tubing through the hole in the top all the way down through the red tube. The red tube acts as both a vent and a guide to keep the peristaltic tubing down in the bottom of the dosing container. So no push connect fitting used with this dosing container nor is it needed. A push connect would require an additional vent in the lid if the peristaltic tubing was plumbed directly to the lid. And yes, the red tube which is actually pvc pipe, is welded to the white PVC top on the dosing container so when you unscrew the top, the red tube comes out with the top.

Unread 03/26/2019, 09:28 PM   #8
h3dgehog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
You do not connect your tubing to the red pipe in there. You push the dosing tubing through the hole in the top all the way down through the red tube. The red tube acts as both a vent and a guide to keep the peristaltic tubing down in the bottom of the dosing container. So no push connect fitting used with this dosing container nor is it needed. A push connect would require an additional vent in the lid if the peristaltic tubing was plumbed directly to the lid. And yes, the red tube which is actually pvc pipe, is welded to the white PVC top on the dosing container so when you unscrew the top, the red tube comes out with the top.
Ahh, this makes more sense. So I'm guessing that the dosing line is just somewhat danggling inside the red tubing, making it easy to remove the tubing? If so, would it mean that I would have to ensure that the dosing line is fully submerged into the red tubing to make sure the entire bottle can be utilized?

Unread 03/26/2019, 09:32 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3dgehog View Post
Ahh, this makes more sense. So I'm guessing that the dosing line is just somewhat danggling inside the red tubing, making it easy to remove the tubing? If so, would it mean that I would have to ensure that the dosing line is fully submerged into the red tubing to make sure the entire bottle can be utilized?
That is correct. You just push the dosing line all the way down the tube until it hits the bottom (won’t go down any further. It’s really simple and you can use silicone tubing, RODI tubing or pretty much any other kind of tubing you want. The issue with push connect fittings aside from the venting issue is that these are sold all over the world and used with all kinds of dosers. Some dosers have thing tubing while others have larger diameter tubing so this design makes it totally universal and fool proof. Just drop your dosing line down the hole until it hits bottom and you are done. No worrying about fittings, tubing sizes vacuum leaks etc.