Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2019, 11:49 AM   #1
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Anyone ever fix a vortech cord detatchment from wetside?

Wetside cost WAY too much to replace just because the cord has separated. If this was a pump that was in the tank, yeah I'd get rid of it but since this is external I'm a tad less worried. However since those little sticker tabs do occasionally detach from the glass and the cord falls I really would like to address this sooner rather than later.

So things I have tried, I have tried IC Gel, that didn't work very well, I tried gooping the crap out of it with E6000 and as you can see, nada. I think I have some thin liquid super glue that might work better.

Unread 08/21/2019, 12:56 PM   #2
monks600
Registered Member

Use heat shrink tube on it, it grips and and seals really well. I use this all the time for electrical connections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

monks600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2019, 02:46 PM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

Heat shrink tubing might work well enough, but I would rotate it so that there is no stress on the joint - let the cord hang straight down. That will also help prevent any splashes from getting to the inside.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2019, 04:35 PM   #4
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

How would I even get heat shrink tubing on it? Granted I haven't removed the cable from the driver on this one, but I assume it's like the older MP40s in that there is a plug that is way wider than the cable.

Billdogg: Good point, not sure why that got by me. I think I used to have it upside down, but the last time I cleaned the wetside and took off the dryside I just didn't think to align it that way.

Unread 08/21/2019, 08:58 PM   #5
Goober06
Registered Member

Pretty easy if you're willing to take it apart then just put a zip tie on the inside. I believe theres a total of 3 screws you have to remove to get to the cord

Goober06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2019, 10:13 PM   #6
tkeracer619
Registered Member

You always want the cord in the up direction and secured. If the dryside disconnects and falls and the cord is down it will slap the tank or damage the dry side.

Those types of adhesives aren't really good with plastic and rubberized materials. At this point you likely have shot any attempt at gluing it. I'd likely try to get heat shrink wrap tight around that junction and a small zip tie around that nub.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote