Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2017, 08:25 PM   #1
ReefTank327
Registered Member

Exclamation Reef Safe Beginner Fish

I have a fully cycled 66 gallon reef tank with an 18 gallon sump. I currently have my clean up crew, 2 ocellaris clownfish, and 3 skunk cleaner shrimp. I also have some green star polyps, a kenya tree, and another small green coral (I have no clue what it is). I want some suggestions for fish. I do not have a lid as it is rimless, so wrasses and other jumpers are out of the question (sad because the melanurus wrasse is my favorite fish). Please leave a list of fish that you think would be suit for my tank.

ReefTank327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 09:00 PM   #2
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Bangaii cardinal
Royal grama
Clown goby
Chromis
Dwarf Angel

Any of those would work...with the angel being on a bit more on the cautious end due to potential nipping at corals.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Pericyte
Registered Member

Green mandarin if you have enough rock work

Bartlett anthia
Six line wrasse
Starry blenny
Maybe a Kole eye tang or white tail bristletooth if you want something unique.

Any fish can jump, but I had these fish when i has a rimless.

You could also make a screen for day to day function. Bulk reef supply has some cheap kits to make screens.

Pericyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 06:16 AM   #4
Cliving1
Registered Member

I would go with a midas blenny or flame/longnose hawkfish. Royal gramma. Flasher wrasse. Perhaps a dwarf angel. I would go with reefpucks over pericytes. Tank is too young for a mandarin. Six line are the devil. Starrys are great. Tank is too small for a tang.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 04:11 PM   #5
ReefTank327
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
I would go with a midas blenny or flame/longnose hawkfish. Royal gramma. Flasher wrasse. Perhaps a dwarf angel. I would go with reefpucks over pericytes. Tank is too young for a mandarin. Six line are the devil. Starrys are great. Tank is too small for a tang.
I don't have a lid, so do you think I could get away with a fairy wrasse? I have heard that all wrasses are jumpers.

Unread 12/15/2017, 04:35 PM   #6
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefTank327 View Post
I don't have a lid, so do you think I could get away with a fairy wrasse? I have heard that all wrasses are jumpers.
No. Don't risk it. Either get a lid so that it can't jump out or don't get a wrasse.

At the end of the day, the wrasse has a life. If it jumps out because there's no cover, it's a waste.

Unread 12/15/2017, 05:16 PM   #7
Cliving1
Registered Member

All fish can jump. Make the choice and invest in some form of lid. Opens your options as well.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 06:06 PM   #8
ReefTank327
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
All fish can jump. Make the choice and invest in some form of lid. Opens your options as well.
I want a melanurus wrasse so bad but I do not want a lid. I have a rimless tank and I feel like lids ruin the aesthetic. I think I will maybe add a pair of bangaii cardinals, a royal gramma, and a green mandarin once my copepod population is enough (I'll give it another 6 months).

Unread 12/16/2017, 05:17 PM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

I recomend Orchid Dottyback pair tank raise. LA have them on sale. Flame back angel pair also wonderful and very reef safe. One of the smallest tang species like flame fin tang. Two or three of the above recommendations would do great in your tank

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2017, 11:06 AM   #10
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I recomend Orchid Dottyback pair tank raise. LA have them on sale. Flame back angel pair also wonderful and very reef safe. One of the smallest tang species like flame fin tang. Two or three of the above recommendations would do great in your tank
You can do those in pairs? I didn't know. Very striking fish and my wife has always loved those. I had one years ago and it was always the fish everyone noticed first regardless of the other larger fish.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2017, 01:08 PM   #11
ReefTank327
Registered Member

Quote:
Could I do just one orchid dottyback? And would an orchid dottyback and a royal gramma get along?

Unread 12/17/2017, 01:17 PM   #12
OrionN
Moved on

Orchid dottyback will be fine with Royal gramma, at least in larger tanks. I got harem of RG (7) with Orichid Dottyback pair in my larger tank (420 gal) with no problem. Both were breeding.

saf1
I recommend you read thia thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243359

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 12/17/2017, 01:20 PM   #13
ReefTank327
Registered Member

Quote:
Orchid dottyback will be fine with Royal gramma, at least in larger tanks. I got harem of RG (7) with Orichid Dottyback pair in my larger tank (420 gal) with no problem. Both were breeding.

saf1
I recommend you read thia thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243359
I have also read that dottybacks are aggressive. I don't want aggressive fish, so how have orchid dottybacks been in your experience?

Unread 12/17/2017, 01:29 PM   #14
OrionN
Moved on

Orchid Dottyback are very mellow fish. Never agressive to any fish. Just mind his own business. The are brilliant purple, but only stay porple if you feed them a well round diet. Otherwise they get a washout purple color. I never have them bother any of my other fish, like never ever.
Same with Royal Gramma. Both of these species are very easy to keep, good community fishesColoration of Royal Gramma also stay brilliant if have a good diet. These two species not get easy bully but are not bullies.

Tags
beginner fish, reef safe fish, reef tank