Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2003, 09:56 PM   #1
schmunkel98
Registered Member

Converting freshwater tank to an octo tank?

Hey guys,

Until the cuttlefish dilemma is solved, I think I'm going to convert my 55 gallon freshwater tank to an Octo only tank. Are there any problems with doing this? I have a ton of limestone rock in there(like 90 pounds) that would be great for an octo to hide in. I have an Emperor 500 for filtration, but I could rig up a 10 gallon sump if needed. Let me knowwhat you think.

Mike

schmunkel98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2003, 10:06 AM   #2
OctoMonkey
Registered Member

Hi Mike, how are you getting on? Hows the house?

Has there ever been any copper based treatments used in the tank?

Unread 03/13/2003, 10:24 AM   #3
schmunkel98
Registered Member

Hey Colin,

Everything has been cool around here. My big tank has some dwarf lionfish, a harlequin tusk, and a snowflake eel in it right now. If I can ever figure out an inexpensive way to get some cuttlefish, then I will sell these guys and upgrade to some sepia officinalis. Anyway, I do miss having an octo around, and I think that my 55 gallon freshwater would be perfect. I have never treated it with any medicines at all. I have one huge 65 pound limestone rock and another 25 pound one that would be great for an octo cave. Can I use the limestone rocks or will they mess up my water PH? I'm also a little worried about the filtration, but I can always add on a skimmer and convert that 10 gallon into a sump. The only downside of this is cost, but I think it will be worth it to have an octo in the house again. I have thought about getting a few of them for the big tank and selling the fish in there now, but I'm pretty sure they would fight. Let me know what you think.

Mike

schmunkel98 is offline   Reply With Quote