Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 11/19/2011, 04:21 PM   #1
RC Blogs
RSS Poster Robot

Lightbulb RockIn'

Read in RC Blogs.

Having power-washed the rock, and found about 6 metric tons of stuff-I-didn't-want-in-my-tank deposited on the floor, I started to play around with how the rocks ought to be positioned. The goal is to keep some open swim-space for the fish, to provide some tunnels and allow for line-of-sight to be broken, and to provide plenty of places to put corals.

I also wanted to keep to the minimalist style, although I'm not sure I actually managed that. For 100 lbs of rock, it sure takes up a lot of space in a 240-gallon tank...

I'll probably get a couple more smaller pieces of tonga-branch or similar live-rock to seed the dead rock with, and I'll be adding dead-sand to the bottom, followed by a live-sand layer on top. I'm shooting for 4-5" of sand-bed, and I may end up raising the rocks up a bit so they're not half-buried in sand.

Anyway, this is the design so far. Thoughts and comments welcomed :)

Closed Thread