Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2017, 07:37 AM   #1
drtrash
Registered Member

Mixed reef skimmer size?

The tank is 60 gal (not inluding sump) mixed reef, 8 anemones, 1/2 dox lps... 5 fish ( 13"), going off your 1/2" per gal for high load i will need to add 10-12 more inches of fish, that seems to be overcrowded for tank (36x22). Looking at bk 160. Will performance be dissapointing if doc load is low?

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 07:54 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
The tank is 60 gal (not inluding sump) mixed reef, 8 anemones, 1/2 dox lps... 5 fish ( 13"), going off your 1/2" per gal for high load i will need to add 10-12 more inches of fish, that seems to be overcrowded for tank (36x22). Looking at bk 160. Will performance be dissapointing if doc load is low?
The Mini Bubble King 160 should work OK. You're not going to have a lot of skimmate to pull out with only 5 fish so you would need to keep that in mind. You could also do the Double Cone 150 or even the Double Cone 130. They would be a bit more consistent but again, they will only pull out the dissolved organics that are there to remove. At the end of the week, the results should be about the same.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 09:22 AM   #3
drtrash
Registered Member

The size in sump is limited 8x10 so don't think cone will fit, footprint is confusing have more room on floor of sump but have a 2" rim to deal with. May add a few more fish but 15 fish is unrealistic. If you have low doc do you increase depth of skimmer to help?

Unread 07/14/2017, 09:55 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

If you have low DOC's, you can run the skimmer wetter by closing the wedge pipe. That will help though you don't want to go too high. One unique feature about the Mini is that the collection cup doesn't screw on. It's VERY heavy and sits on the top of the skimmer body. There is an o-ring machined into the surface between the body and the cup that forms the seal. If you run the skimmer too wet by raising the line where bubbles turn to foam too close to that seal, you run the risk of having a bit of seepage there. Normally the line where bubbles turn to foam is about 2" below that connection. You could increase it to about 1" below that connection if you chose too. Adding a handful more fish will certainly help. This is a very efficient skimmer though so I think you will be just fine. I have one on a 90 gallon tank and ran it without any fish in it for a while and it still managed to pull stuff out of the water.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 10:50 AM   #5
drtrash
Registered Member

Great thank you