Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/12/2017, 06:14 PM   #126
Isayso
Registered Member

Never tried,
Might work

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Isayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2017, 10:21 AM   #127
pisanoal
Registered Member

Bayer will not work. I restarted my tank a year ago, and dipped everything that was transferred over that had some of these guys on it in a strong bayer solution with a powerhead. I manually removed all I could find, and dipped everything. Started with all new equipment, all new dry rock and sand. I kept my coral on egg crate stands in the new tank for months, and monitored them for vermetids popping back up, which they did. I steadily removed all I found, and eventually one rock got a bunch on it seemingly overnight ( not really, but didnt take long). I took that rock out, dipped in muriatic, and replaced. Fine for a few months, no other issues. Kept inspecting pieces that had a few pop up every now and then. Eventually I thought I got them all and quit monitoring. A month or so later, I noticed one on my main rock structure, then another... Etc. On every rock and a couple on my overflow.

Summary, bayer dips aren't the answer.

Good news, though! I posted this in another thread, but it appears the dewormer fenbendazole kills them, and even better news, it can be used as an in tank treatment if done properly, and with certain precautions.

Fenbendazole has been used for long time to kill hydroids in seahorse tanks. I stumbled on a relatively new thread on another forum that mentioned it being used as an in tank (reef) treatment foe hydroids and had a great side effect of killing vermetids. Reportedly killed all he had.

Caveats: kills other snails and starfish, some corals like xenia, gsp, gorgs,bristle worms. Zoas are said to be fine, fish are unaffected, sps, lps are fine. It takes several months to purge the system and be safe for snails and starfish again, but if it rids the tank of vermetids, that's a pretty decent trade off.

Google fenbendazole kills vermetids

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2017, 11:27 AM   #128
Isayso
Registered Member

Wow ,thank you very much
I might have a look tonight
Sometimes the lost of a few corals is
The price to pay

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Unread 06/23/2017, 01:26 PM   #129
biecacka
Registered Member

I'll follow along anyone trying this method..

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2017, 03:16 PM   #130
Isayso
Registered Member

Where do you get that medicine?

Unread 06/27/2017, 09:36 AM   #131
pisanoal
Registered Member

https://www.amazon.com/Bendazole-250...fish+bendazole

This is what I ordered. Have not done the treatment yet, will post an update and details when I do. Planning on doing it this weekend over 4th of July holiday. If you check out that other forum, there is lots of information on dosage and sources of fenbendazole.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2017, 12:38 PM   #132
ahmedsaleh
Registered Member

Any update

ahmedsaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 08:38 PM   #133
Isayso
Registered Member

I was wondering the same

Unread 09/03/2017, 08:27 AM   #134
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
Bayer will not work. I restarted my tank a year ago, and dipped everything that was transferred over that had some of these guys on it in a strong bayer solution with a powerhead. I manually removed all I could find, and dipped everything. Started with all new equipment, all new dry rock and sand. I kept my coral on egg crate stands in the new tank for months, and monitored them for vermetids popping back up, which they did. I steadily removed all I found, and eventually one rock got a bunch on it seemingly overnight ( not really, but didnt take long). I took that rock out, dipped in muriatic, and replaced. Fine for a few months, no other issues. Kept inspecting pieces that had a few pop up every now and then. Eventually I thought I got them all and quit monitoring. A month or so later, I noticed one on my main rock structure, then another... Etc. On every rock and a couple on my overflow.

Summary, bayer dips aren't the answer.

I'm sorry Bayer didn't work for you.

I was able to use Bayer successfully. Here's how I did it.

I sterilized everything including rock with bleach and let it dry, vinegar washed and dried out the rock again, fragged the corals making sure to cut out any snails that had been surrounded or grown over by coral (I only kept live coral, no skeleton), thoroughly Bayer dipped all coral and placed them in a holding tank with completely new water, being sure not to cross contaminate.

I started my tank up all over again and I am now vermited free.

Bayer most likely does not work on adult vermetids in their tubes. However, I do believe it works on the earlier stages of life. The stage that cannot be seen with the naked eye. I believe it is possible to transfer baby microscopic vermetids on anything wet. So it is very important to avoid cross contamination.

It was a ton of work starting over, but honestly if I had started over long ago, I would've saved myself even more work. I manually removed thousands over several years trying to eradicate them.

I wish you guys luck.

Last edited by Mr. Brooks; 09/03/2017 at 08:45 AM.
Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2017, 10:18 AM   #135
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
I'm sorry Bayer didn't work for you.

I was able to use Bayer successfully. Here's how I did it.

I sterilized everything including rock with bleach and let it dry, vinegar washed and dried out the rock again, fragged the corals making sure to cut out any snails that had been surrounded or grown over by coral (I only kept live coral, no skeleton), thoroughly Bayer dipped all coral and placed them in a holding tank with completely new water, being sure not to cross contaminate.

I started my tank up all over again and I am now vermited free.

Bayer most likely does not work on adult vermetids in their tubes. However, I do believe it works on the earlier stages of life. The stage that cannot be seen with the naked eye. I believe it is possible to transfer baby microscopic vermetids on anything wet. So it is very important to avoid cross contamination.

It was a ton of work starting over, but honestly if I had started over long ago, I would've saved myself even more work. I manually removed thousands over several years trying to eradicate them.

I wish you guys luck.
That is exactly what I did. The vermetids grew back on frags that were vermetid free. It does not work on any life stage. You got lucky and did not transfer any. I scrutinized those pieces several times and did not find any adults before dipping and transferring.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Unread 09/11/2017, 09:48 AM   #136
Shia
Registered Member

This may not be helpful for all, but a predator makes short work of them. I added a clown trigger and he does not touch the corals but makes short work of ALL inverts. The only inverts I had were a sand sifting start fish that has been in one of my systems for over a year, and vermetid snails. He ate 4 of the 5 legs of the star and then never proceeded to bother him again. He is slowly healing and regrowing his legs. The snails were mostly gone in a week. I still have one or two pop up, but they do not last long.

Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 10:19 AM   #137
Isayso
Registered Member

How long have you had the clown?
Sometimes is too early to see it nipping at corals

Unread 09/14/2017, 01:55 PM   #138
Shia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isayso View Post
How long have you had the clown?
Sometimes is too early to see it nipping at corals
I have had this guy for only a couple of months. The tank he came from also had corals and he didn't touch any of them. I keep him well fed, and in between the feedings he hunts for the vermetids. Haha he also loves nori, go figure.

Unread 09/14/2017, 05:50 PM   #139
Isayso
Registered Member

Tempted... but I will pass on this,
My Toby puffer was good until corals tasted better than vermetid snails

Unread 09/15/2017, 10:42 AM   #140
Shia
Registered Member

I have always loved puffers, with the exception of the dwarf ones, I always see them go after corals and nems. I read a few accounts of people keeping CT long term (5+ years) with no issues with corals. Inverts and their tank mates were another story.

Unread 10/22/2017, 11:38 PM   #141
ahmedsaleh
Registered Member

I restarted my tank, all new dry rock, sterilized everything checked all the corals in quarantine tank
Now I'm afraid to transfer it again with the corals rock
Any suggestions

Unread 10/23/2017, 05:07 AM   #142
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedsaleh View Post
I restarted my tank, all new dry rock, sterilized everything checked all the corals in quarantine tank
Now I'm afraid to transfer it again with the corals rock
Any suggestions
Quarantine them, inspect regularly. Cut away as much dead skeleton or rock base as you can. If on a frag plug, cut it off, put it on a new frag plug. I would inspect everything very thoroughly twice a week. When you havent seen any for 2 or 3 months, I'd say you are good.

If you still have snails, be careful. They can carry them back in too

What kind of coral?
Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Unread 10/23/2017, 02:21 PM   #143
ahmedsaleh
Registered Member

Thanks for your answer
I haver lps hammers frog brains polyps and montipora I removed all what I can see with
Dremel even the Snails shell all cleaned also super glue the corals branches

Unread 10/23/2017, 02:54 PM   #144
Isayso
Registered Member

Good. Luck buddy
Let us know

Unread 10/31/2017, 09:11 AM   #145
MurphyLong
HMFIC

This may be purely anecdotal, but I picked up a rock that had nearly a dozen vermetid snails, and didn't realize it until I saw the mucous webs flying out after stirring up the sand bed. I decided to bury the rock in the sand and left it there for 2 weeks, and when I flipped it back over, the tubes were hollow, and haven't done any mucous strings since then. Maybe they can't traverse in the sand?

I know burying all your rocks in sand isn't a "viable" answer, but I only had 1 rock which made it simple.

MurphyLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 09:39 AM   #146
Isayso
Registered Member

Maybe they starved and died
I've never seen snail leaving the tube

Unread 02/14/2018, 12:21 AM   #147
bmxman37
Registered Member

anyone find any better cures for these.... i didn't know what they were at first when there was 2 under one of my montis and thought it was kind of cool how they cast out like a fishing line... fast forward a few months..... and i have little fishing lines all over my tank

bmxman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 06:48 AM   #148
Isayso
Registered Member

Sorry buddy. Nothing worked for me.
I keep breaking. The ones that I can reach

Unread 03/05/2018, 10:11 PM   #149
fishguy597
Registered Member

Update, still screwed...
Nuked 3/4 of my rock, inspected /removed snails from the lr and corals( multiple times). Came back with a vengeance, I have little ones all over my tank.

fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 07:45 AM   #150
Isayso
Registered Member

I feel your concerns, but that 1/4 of rocks that wasn't nuked probably contained enough Snail to cover all the clean rocks,