Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/02/2017, 11:04 AM   #1
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

Kerdi membrane for plywood tanks

Anyone ever try to embed kerdi membrane into the epoxy of thier plywood builds?

I would still use chop mat and epoxy like usual... but on the last layer embed the kerdi..

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 12:30 PM   #2
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I have no idea if it's compatible but I have to ask, why? Epoxy is more than sufficient for waterproofing, and if you're already putting glass in it, it'll be incredibly durable, too.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 07:10 PM   #3
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

epoxy/ fiberglass resin is brittle at thickness without continuous layers of mat or cloth embedded in it...pretty sure if it cracks for any reason that water will quickly penetrate to the wood... kerdi would prevent it from ever touching the wood

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 06:46 AM   #4
salty joe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoReefWanabe View Post
epoxy/ fiberglass resin is brittle at thickness without continuous layers of mat or cloth embedded in it...
Compared to what, glass? If the epoxy on an epoxy coated tank cracked, it would indicate movement and twist. That wouldn't happen with a properly built plywood tank and stand.

If you had that kind of movement, a glass tank would fail far sooner than a heavy duty plywood box coated with epoxy, IMO.

Unread 11/07/2017, 03:10 PM   #5
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I agree. Brittleness of epoxy is relative. It's actually pretty soft, in terms of reefkeeping standards. Less brittle than glass. It holds up to impacts very well. When applied to wood, it tends to stay bonded, since wood is flexible, too. I made test panels when I did my big tank and hit them with a 20 ounce demolition hammer as hard as I could, and I couldn't chip, crack, or otherwise damage the epoxy. It's plenty tough.

And at the only interface with a significantly different material in terms of stiffness (the glass), you have a heavy flexible buffer (silicone).

Wood tanks are incredibly durable!

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote