Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2018, 07:47 AM   #1
RobZilla04
Registered Member

LPS Stalks Turning White

Got a couple of bright green trumpet/candy cane corals and two hammer corals where the branch/stalks are turning white. Definitely seeing some tissue receding (usually dark brown like trees). All parameters are in check although I just started dosing Vibrant (two doses in for dirty tank fighting bryopsis and some turf algae). I noticed the start of the deterioration before starting the Vibrant.

Last night I turned off skimmer & UV sterilizer in hope to bring up some NO3 and PO4.

About two weeks ago a T5HO retro fit kit with two bulbs (Coral + and a white). Only been running these for 3 hours a day. Didn't adjust the intensity or duration of existing LED's.

All other coral appear to be doing fine including other trumpets, torches, softies, and LPS.

Any ideas?

Pix can come later today.

Unread 01/09/2018, 07:59 AM   #2
Timfish
Registered Member

Could be differences between the system they grew in and your system. With the trumpets and torches you've had for a while does teh tissue extend down the stalk as much as new candy canes had when you first got them?

Unread 01/09/2018, 08:19 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Not sure why you think thats a problem..
Its just likely that there is less algae growth,etc... on them so for them to be turning more white is usually a good thing..

Unread 01/09/2018, 08:39 AM   #4
RobZilla04
Registered Member

The ones deteriorating/discoloring I've had for a while. Hammers started with just a couple heads and have grown three times the size. Same for the trumpets.

Trumpet heads haven't been looking full or showing signs of tentacle extension. I can see the branch tissue getting very white and the color tissue on the heads slowly retracting.

Hammer branches are getting white also but no sign of tissue loss or head discoloration.

It appears to be much more than just less/no algae covering the branches/stalks. Especially on the trumpet.

Unread 01/09/2018, 05:13 PM   #5
RobZilla04
Registered Member

The pix. Under LED blue channel & T5. Sorry just cell pix. White LED channel is only on for 1 hour.

Unread 01/10/2018, 12:40 AM   #6
dnguyen1
Will work for fish

Do you have any fish nipping st it? Mine are getting that way after being healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 50g cube
dnguyen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 05:15 AM   #7
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Been trying to keep an eye on that. Still have one damsel left (had two) that used to pick at birdsnest. I try to enter the room slowly when I come home each day just to observe for this, but haven't seen it yet.