Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/15/2016, 09:53 PM   #51
Blink2824
Registered Member

No, just the top. I've seen some rimless w/ no eurobrace 150 gallon custom tanks from SCAquariums being made that look really nice too! Higher price tag though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blink2824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2016, 07:55 AM   #52
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink2824 View Post
No, just the top. I've seen some rimless w/ no eurobrace 150 gallon custom tanks from SCAquariums being made that look really nice too! Higher price tag though

higher price due to thicker glass needed.

I like the eurobrace since it allows screen top to be recessed into the tank but I might skip it on next tank and go with thicker glass and custom drilled...

I just need to win the lottery so I can have my ultimate fish basement with a mix of FW planted, Reef, and aggressive FOWLR with stingrays and such.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2016, 10:21 AM   #53
Blink2824
Registered Member

Dude, Soulpatch- now you're talking! In regard to the SCA tank...for anyone considering custom, the pricing seems very favorable over other tank manufacturers. I personally like the eurobrace and also the option to go with or without a canopy. Similar to back when I had my Evolution VIII rally car... One year I liked the spoiler and the other year I didn't so I would take it off until I wanted to see it again. in other news my 1 1/2" flame angel arrived in rough shape from the DD but it's day two and I just saw him eat for the first time so... Time will tell. Step 1) eat and live through QT 2) eat only fish food and not coral testing 3) introduction to the display. The only other fish I would entertain putting in this new tank would be a copperband butterfly down the road... Just because I'm challenge driven.

Unread 06/16/2016, 10:24 AM   #54
Blink2824
Registered Member

I'm thinking about putting some of this mineral mud in a tray and in the refugium... Any opposition? I'm starting some chaeto and red mangrove propagules.

Unread 06/16/2016, 10:31 AM   #55
soulpatch
Registered Member

not needed IMHO. The mangroves will be suspended and not touching the mud and the chateo should be floating. If you were doing other macro perhaps but its not worth the hassle and mess it makes for what you are planning.

Unread 06/16/2016, 10:40 AM   #56
Blink2824
Registered Member

Indeed, they will be suspended for quite a while... I guess I always want to give things what would otherwise be in their natural environment so I was drawn to paying the $15 for it. I'll probably test it out at some point with a few other macro algae. I also like the idea of keeping things simple = less maintenance or things to clean. Which is why I will put it in a 2" deep acrylic tray so I can just pull it out if it's crap in a can.

Unread 06/16/2016, 10:41 AM   #57
soulpatch
Registered Member

tray is a good idea as it has to be replaced over time as it exhausts.

Unread 07/10/2016, 02:12 PM   #58
Reef908
Registered Member

How are you liking the SCA 150? I am planning an upgrade to my 75 gallon Mainland and SCA seems to be the best bang for the buck based on my research so far. I'd like to do a ghost style overflow and possibly a peninsula, but the standard tank is still the main option for me.

Unread 07/10/2016, 02:30 PM   #59
soulpatch
Registered Member

Reef sca will do custom as well. If you look in the sca thread there are some pictures

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Unread 07/10/2016, 08:00 PM   #60
Reef908
Registered Member

Thanks! Forgot that was here. I saw that a while ago before I was thinking of upgrading.

Unread 07/10/2016, 08:08 PM   #61
Blink2824
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef908 View Post
How are you liking the SCA 150? I am planning an upgrade to my 75 gallon Mainland and SCA seems to be the best bang for the buck based on my research so far. I'd like to do a ghost style overflow and possibly a peninsula, but the standard tank is still the main option for me.

I love my SCA tank thus far. The seams are very easy to keep clean which is a big plus for me. As Soulpatch mentioned there are a few folks taking the custom tank/ overflow path with SCA, which looks like a great affordable option considering custom rimless pricing.

Unread 07/11/2016, 01:25 PM   #62
Reef908
Registered Member

Quote:
I love my SCA tank thus far. The seams are very easy to keep clean which is a big plus for me. As Soulpatch mentioned there are a few folks taking the custom tank/ overflow path with SCA, which looks like a great affordable option considering custom rimless pricing.

Great feedback. Thanks! They are the number one on my short list as of now. Probably will post a thread once I get it going

Unread 07/11/2016, 03:25 PM   #63
Blink2824
Registered Member

Awesome Reef908, best of luck! Always feel free to ask if you come across any questions along the way.

Unread 07/19/2016, 11:24 AM   #64
Blink2824
Registered Member

Just snagged a used 150PS Panworld pump to use as a back-up and a 100 gallon RODI tank for $75!

Unread 07/19/2016, 04:24 PM   #65
Blink2824
Registered Member

My 150 Gallon Build

Cool!

Unread 07/20/2016, 02:34 PM   #66
Blink2824
Registered Member

Pretty exciting week, my Clown pair are spawning... my rose BTA seemed to have spawned a baby... and I just purchased a Mark Poletti Lineage Jawbreaker momma shroom and baby. Can't wait for it to go into the display next week, then I'll update with some pictures. For now, here is a teaser of the 2" JB...

Unread 08/05/2016, 08:54 PM   #67
texdoc77
Registered Member

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but what did you end up doing about lighting?

Current Tank Info: Currently Rebuilding
texdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2016, 07:38 AM   #68
Blink2824
Registered Member

Hey Tex, when I had all my equipment purchases laid out and I was prioritizing most important down to least... the lighting was something that I put toward the bottom of the list. Others on here might argue me on that statement but I felt if I was going to spend the money, it was going to be on the equipment that would guarantee me a thriving mixed reef with good husbandry.

A bad a** protein skimmer and sump was first and foremost, then came the actual tank itself, then power heads, then Apex controller (which i'm still setting up...), then the lighting...

My thinking was not to fall victim of purchasing an average lighting solution just to turn around a year or two later and have to re-purchase something better. So I went the cheapest route I could and mounted three ebay chinese 165w full spectrum LED's. I already had two of them from my previous 75 gallon so spending $130 bucks on a light was an easy decision. I do plan to implement some sort of enhanced LED lighting solution but probably not for at least another year... there is so much information still pouring in around the LED vs. T5 topic vs. hybrid topic.

Here are a quick shot of how the lights are mounted in the canopy. I'll post some coral growth shots later this wknd.

A couple zoa shots just cause I can't help myself.

Unread 08/07/2016, 05:39 PM   #69
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Tex, when I had all my equipment purchases laid out and I was prioritizing most important down to least... the lighting was something that I put toward the bottom of the list. Others on here might argue me on that statement but I felt if I was going to spend the money, it was going to be on the equipment that would guarantee me a thriving mixed reef with good husbandry.

A bad a** protein skimmer and sump was first and foremost, then came the actual tank itself, then power heads, then Apex controller (which i'm still setting up...), then the lighting...

My thinking was not to fall victim of purchasing an average lighting solution just to turn around a year or two later and have to re-purchase something better. So I went the cheapest route I could and mounted three ebay chinese 165w full spectrum LED's. I already had two of them from my previous 75 gallon so spending $130 bucks on a light was an easy decision. I do plan to implement some sort of enhanced LED lighting solution but probably not for at least another year... there is so much information still pouring in around the LED vs. T5 topic vs. hybrid topic.
Understood, I myself am trying to decide on what to do over my 150, I posted another thread, but am considering kessil, AI, RapidLed, ecotech and then plan to add t5's later. I will be watching your build... Which way are you leaning?

Current Tank Info: Currently Rebuilding
texdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2016, 05:58 PM   #70
soulpatch
Registered Member

Your going to have horrible shadowing unless you go heavy with leds. I have 3 Kessils on my tank and still using a 6 bulb ati s well since the 3 Kessils wouldn't cut it.

Honestly if o were to do it again I would get 8 bulb t5 with a bml led light strip to attach to them or spend the money on the power module

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Unread 08/09/2016, 06:16 AM   #71
Blink2824
Registered Member

These all started off as 1" frags approx 12 months ago. Happy Tuesday iPhone pics!

Unread 08/11/2016, 08:23 PM   #72
Blink2824
Registered Member

Having some fun with my iPhone and gel filter...

Unread 08/19/2016, 03:58 PM   #73
Blink2824
Registered Member

Just added some Chaeto, Hypnea Pannosa, Botryocladia Sp., and Red Gracilaria to the fuge... As the majority of the first batch of chaeto died off on me about a month ago for some reason.

Unread 08/20/2016, 02:28 AM   #74
ironman31
Registered Member

Very nice

ironman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2016, 07:27 PM   #75
Blink2824
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman31 View Post