Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2016, 05:50 AM   #1
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

Apex stops responding after a power interuption.

Been having some brown outs and short power surges recently and Ive noticed my APEX stops responding when this happens.

I notice it when random lights start shutting off, then I try to log into fusion and it cant connect. I try the display and nada. The only way to reset it is to unplug the base units USB so it has no power and force a restart.

Is there any way to fix this?

EnderG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2016, 07:13 AM   #2
reefrf
reefrf

Perhaps restarting will work? I've had that happen as well & a restart corrects it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RIP 150g....
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1651699&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Current Tank Info: 250g 72x30x27 (Starphire) Lighting-Giesemann Infiniti 3x250w HQI Phoenix 4T-5's. 75g sump/Reef Octopus SRO5000 Skimmer/ GEO 624 Calcium Reactor. Circulation 3 x MP40QD 1/4 hp Artica
reefrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2016, 10:56 AM   #3
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

Yes, as I said in above, restarting it does correct the problem.

The issue I have is what if this happens when Im out of town. I need a better solution than unplug it and plug it back in every time.

Unread 07/26/2016, 03:33 PM   #4
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

If anyone is wondering I was asking to avoid things like THIS from happening

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2591576

Unread 07/27/2016, 10:07 PM   #5
kurt_n
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderG60 View Post
Yes, as I said in above, restarting it does correct the problem.

The issue I have is what if this happens when Im out of town. I need a better solution than unplug it and plug it back in every time.
How about putting it on a small UPS? The Apex is pretty much like a computer but without the nice big power supply to smooth out the voltage fluctuations. Computers don't like brown outs and quick on/off cycles.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2016, 12:02 AM   #6
ieatchinese
Premium Member

I have had my new Apex for two weeks now and I am continually plagued with no comms. The comms even stop on my local network! I installed a UPS (a fairly large APC that can run my entire tank and lights....and Apex), and the first night I saw no disconnects. The second night.....two disconnects. These disconnects appear to lock up the entire apex and it requires either pulling the main plug from the UPS/wall or resetting the head unit with a single press of the reset switch (requires a small pin to press the switch). This is unacceptable for an aquarium controller as everyone knows that this sort of thing could cause you to lose the entire contents of your system. I have been working with Neptune on this, but they are not offering anything that I have not tried already. I have requested that they fix this issue and send me a new head unit or whatever will resolve this situation. The fella that I am speaking with seems to ignore my request in his responses and simply blames everything else other than the Apex. I have pointed out that I have Dropcams, NEST thermostats and many other items on my network and NONE of them exhibit this sort of problem. They all work!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 750 XXL
ieatchinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2016, 05:56 AM   #7
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

I just ordered a power supply for the base unit and a UPS to power that. I think it being powered through the Apex lines off the EB8 is whats causing the communication issues. I was planning to get a UPS for the cable modem and router anyway so adding the APEX power supply was only $12.

We'll see if it works.

Unread 08/10/2016, 10:21 AM   #8
ieatchinese
Premium Member

EnderG60, The power supply that you are referring to connects to the base unit as a power backup (for the base unit only). This powers the base unit only if the power from the 832 or EB8 power bars fails. The base unit cannot communicate to the power bars without the AquaBus connection, which provides primary power to the base unit and communications to the EB8/832. I do not believe that what you are doing will have any effect. If you have some success, let us know though.

Unread 08/11/2016, 05:46 AM   #9
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

The problem I am having is that in the event of a brown out the base unit stops responding, as in it has crashed, and needs to be rebooted which can only be done by disconnecting the power to the base unit.

By giving the base unit its own power source(which is on a battery backup) it doesnt have to rely on the EB8. So since the router and cable modem are also on the battery backup it will be able to text/email me there has been a power outage.

Also since the base unit is getting even uninterrupted power there should be no reason for it to crash when there is a brown out.

I had been meaning to do this for the router and stuff for a while, figured I would just get it done and add the apex to the plan as well and see if it works. Ill have it installed this weekend.

Unread 08/13/2016, 11:50 PM   #10
ieatchinese
Premium Member

UPDATE: Now Working! I disconnected the Apex (wired internet) from my personal router and connected it into the landlord supplied router. This fixed all connectivity issues, both local and via fusion.....now for two days running. Stacking routers generates a double NAT situation. This has not been a problem for all of my other Internet connected appliances. At this point, I will simply leave the Apex connected to the other router. I haven't tried to connect via WiFi again....don't really care for WiFi for the Apex, but may do it later.