Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2014, 02:52 AM   #1
ml708
Registered Member

Manual stripping of gametes from fish

Has anyone done this? Might be quicker than waiting for them to mate naturally.

ml708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2014, 07:34 PM   #2
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Yes, I've strip spawned fish. There are a couple of things to consider. One, the fish need to be in breeding condition (as in ready to spawn) in order for the gametes to be viable. Two, small fish (such as clowns) do not deal very well with the handling involved in strip spawning...so it's really only a viable option for large fish such as the large Angelfish that are more likely to survive the process.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2014, 10:36 PM   #3
coralfriend
Registered Member

Dear billsreef(moderator),

My red bar anthias spawn regularly. I am not satisfied with the fertilization rate! For example, only one out of ten eggs can get fertilized. In grouper situation, I think that manual stripping can archive a high fertilization rate. Anthias is absolutely not suitable for manual stripping. Now my problem came. My pair of clarion angels is going to have natural spawning. Do you think that is it worth while to do manual stripping on clarion or wait to see the fertilization rate of natural spawning first?
My breeding trial on anthias:
http://coralfriend.blogspot.hk/
My pair of nearly spawning Clarion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeIDGT-HGeA

coralfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2014, 09:59 AM   #4
billsreef
10 & Over Club

That low fertilization rate is just one of several reasons such broadcast spawners produce such huge quantities of eggs. Your quite right that strip spawning would produce higher fertilization rates (probably 80% or better) and that the anthias aren't good candidates due their size.

I'd probably wait and see if the Clarions will cooperate naturally. While their size makes them a good candidate for strip spawning, and surviving the process, there is still some risk...especially with someone that doesn't have hands on practice already.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2014, 12:38 PM   #5
paka
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfriend View Post
Dear billsreef(moderator),

My red bar anthias spawn regularly. I am not satisfied with the fertilization rate! For example, only one out of ten eggs can get fertilized. In grouper situation, I think that manual stripping can archive a high fertilization rate. Anthias is absolutely not suitable for manual stripping. Now my problem came. My pair of clarion angels is going to have natural spawning. Do you think that is it worth while to do manual stripping on clarion or wait to see the fertilization rate of natural spawning first?
My breeding trial on anthias:
http://coralfriend.blogspot.hk/
My pair of nearly spawning Clarion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeIDGT-HGeA
Hi Coralfriend,

Thanks for posting your blog link. I had heard that you have an amazing collection of fish and now I'm really looking forward to following along on your breeding efforts!

paka is offline   Reply With Quote