Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2018, 09:30 PM   #1
ozorowsky
Registered Member

How to get that next level of water clarity

Hi all,

I have a 340 gallon reef tank, with a 150 gallon sump. I have both overflows go down to my sump where I have chaeto. From there it flows into a chamber with a bio pellet reactor and then into a chamber where I have a large protein skimmer. After that it flows to a return pump which pushes the water back up.

I'm debating making another chamber for carbon but keep hearing pros/cons to carbon media.

My water is clear but its not that "high def" look like I see in some coral stores. Would carbon be the answer? Do I need another reactor for carbon or just put carbon in bags and let the water flow through it before it enters the return pump?

Thanks in advance

ozorowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 09:37 PM   #2
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member

Following because I’d like to know the “secrets” myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishy_mcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 10:14 PM   #3
Joke
Registered Member

You should read up on running Ozone, but for most hobbyist carbon dose the trick.

Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 10:16 PM   #4
ozorowsky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke View Post
You should read up on running Ozone, but for most hobbyist carbon dose the trick.
Thanks! Will carbon in a media bag be fine or do I need another reactor for the carbon?

Unread 01/14/2018, 11:17 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

How long has your tank been running (I recall your prior threads, so I think perhaps not that long)? I have found that it can take a 2-3 months after setup to really get to that ultra-clarity - particularly if you used a lot of new water and/or new sand. Set my 450 up in late-October (200 gallons of new water and mostly new sand), and it's really only been over the last few weeks that the water has looked really clear.

Although I don't bother with ozone anymore (haven't for almost 20 years) I do use carbon and a UV clarifier. Both do help to maintain that final level of water clarity).

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 11:29 PM   #6
ozorowsky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
How long has your tank been running (I recall your prior threads, so I think perhaps not that long)? I have found that it can take a 2-3 months after setup to really get to that ultra-clarity - particularly if you used a lot of new water and/or new sand. Set my 450 up in late-October (200 gallons of new water and mostly new sand), and it's really only been over the last few weeks that the water has looked really clear.

Although I don't bother with ozone anymore (haven't for almost 20 years) I do use carbon and a UV clarifier. Both do help to maintain that final level of water clarity).
I believe main tank has been setup about 5 to 6 months by now.

Unread 01/14/2018, 11:36 PM   #7
Lsufan
Registered Member

If u are going to use carbon I would get a reactor. U get more out of the media that way. With a reactor the water will flow through the media & in a bag it pretty much flows over the media. With a reactor u wouldn’t have to mess with the sump eighther. Most reactors can be placed anywhere & I usually hang mine somewhere in the stand so it doesn’t take up room in the sump

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 11:38 PM   #8
ozorowsky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
If u are going to use carbon I would get a reactor. U get more out of the media that way. With a reactor the water will flow through the media & in a bag it pretty much flows over the media. With a reactor u wouldn’t have to mess with the sump eighther. Most reactors can be placed anywhere & I usually hang mine somewhere in the stand so it doesn’t take up room in the sump
I do have a bio pellet reactor running

Unread 01/16/2018, 12:38 AM   #9
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Get a reactor and carbon from BRS. Start lite on the carbon and slowly increase. I perfer BRS ROX or Chemipure Elite in a reactor. Adding Ozone to your skimmer will also help with water clearity and has other benefits but must be setup and monitored correctly or it can be deadly. A proper sized UV sterilizer also improves water clearity and can reduce algae as well.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.

Last edited by DesertReefT4r; 01/16/2018 at 08:17 AM.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 12:54 AM   #10
HidingReefer
Registered Member

Alternatively, you could use CaCO3, KZ makes a product called Coral Snow (it's basically CaCO3, and dosing this stuff will get you clear water, you can dose it as many times as you'd like but generally twice a week should be good. You can buy 97% purity CaCO3 at Amazon for 12 bucks for 5 pounds, while KZ Coral Snow is 50 bucks for a 500 mL bottle. Getting a 5-pound bag of this stuff will last you a lifetime, and it's pretty easy to mix up. Go to google and search "DIY Kz Coral Snow" and click the first link you see, that will give you all the information you need for this.

HidingReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 10:13 PM   #11
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HidingReefer View Post
Alternatively, you could use CaCO3, KZ makes a product called Coral Snow (it's basically CaCO3, and dosing this stuff will get you clear water, you can dose it as many times as you'd like but generally twice a week should be good. You can buy 97% purity CaCO3 at Amazon for 12 bucks for 5 pounds, while KZ Coral Snow is 50 bucks for a 500 mL bottle. Getting a 5-pound bag of this stuff will last you a lifetime, and it's pretty easy to mix up. Go to google and search "DIY Kz Coral Snow" and click the first link you see, that will give you all the information you need for this.
Thanks for the information. will give it a try

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 11:07 PM   #12
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I use a bit of carbon to polish the water, but only want I want to take photos or something.

For the ultimate in water clarity, diatomaceous earth polishes significantly better than GAC in both fresh and saltwater. Unless your tank is posing for a magazine article, there is probably no reason to do this far.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 02:06 PM   #13
whitewater1
Registered Member

Definitely carbon in a reactor to help the media tumble appropriately. I use BRS small lignite carbon. Works well and is affordable so it can be changed out every month. Using a 100 micron filter sock every so often will also help polish the water.

whitewater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 02:26 PM   #14
HBtank
Premium Member

A filter sock and carbon reactor are the easiest (and routine) way to clear water IME. Other methods can be expensive and potentially problematic (although a diatom filter is good, if you really want it clear and don't mind the maintenance/cost). Can also evaluate your system on what you think the cause is (i.e. carbon dosing causing constant levels of residual "bloom" in the water).

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA

Last edited by HBtank; 01/18/2018 at 02:31 PM.
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote