Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2008, 07:36 PM   #1
46FiatYamaha
Registered Member

Naso + Scopas ?

I know these two are different subspecies of tangs and they are both not too aggressive, just wondering if anybody has any experience housing these two together

46FiatYamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2008, 08:24 PM   #2
cl2ysta1
Registered Member

nasos dont bother anyone. buy a larger naso smaller scopas. you'll be fine

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon
cl2ysta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2008, 08:54 PM   #3
46FiatYamaha
Registered Member

that's what I was hoping to hear

Unread 02/22/2008, 06:58 AM   #4
t5Nitro
Registered Member

Is this for your new 120? I would go with another fish other than a naso. If you wanted two tangs, go with the scopas and some kind of bristletooth tang. Nasos get large quicker and I've read stories where they are in too small of a tank for what they need and they jump out being stressed (could happen with any fish, too).

Current Tank Info: Left the hobby, looking to re-enter in the future
t5Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 09:14 AM   #5
EvilMel
is a serious goby fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by t5Nitro
Is this for your new 120? I would go with another fish other than a naso. If you wanted two tangs, go with the scopas and some kind of bristletooth tang. Nasos get large quicker and I've read stories where they are in too small of a tank for what they need and they jump out being stressed (could happen with any fish, too).
I totally agree.

EvilMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 03:21 PM   #6
46FiatYamaha
Registered Member

The 120 is just for maybe two years at most, I'm planning on buying a house and getting a 265 or something similar. The Naso is going to be a juvenile, around 2-3" so hopefully it won't grow six times it's size in two years

Unread 02/22/2008, 08:20 PM   #7
BangkokMatt
Registered Member

A 120 is still too small for a naso, regardless of the size of the fish.

Current Tank Info: 150g sps Reef (now FOWLR after a devastating crash due to chiller) , 2x400w MH (Icecap ballast, Lumenmax 2, Reeflux 12k SE), Deltec AP701, Grotech Tec III, Chiller, 2 x Tunze 6101, 1 x 6205 (+ m/c), bla bla
BangkokMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 09:29 PM   #8
46FiatYamaha
Registered Member

I wonder why nobody ever told this guy with a tank of the month to not have a naso, or two other tangs, or two regal angels in a 90. He must not know what he is doing http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...totm/index.php

Last edited by 46FiatYamaha; 02/22/2008 at 09:35 PM.
Unread 02/23/2008, 12:28 AM   #9
BangkokMatt
Registered Member

The Naso will soon be way to big for his tank - TOTM or not.
The advice being given is sound. Clearly, you have already decided to add a fish which ultimately will be unhappy in your system. However, by stating your intentions in a thread you are going to receive advice contrary to what you want to hear.
People are just trying to advise on good husbandry for your new tank.

Current Tank Info: 150g sps Reef (now FOWLR after a devastating crash due to chiller) , 2x400w MH (Icecap ballast, Lumenmax 2, Reeflux 12k SE), Deltec AP701, Grotech Tec III, Chiller, 2 x Tunze 6101, 1 x 6205 (+ m/c), bla bla
Unread 02/23/2008, 01:44 AM   #10
waxy
Moved On

Fish grow according to size of your tank. Its what their body permits them to.

They should never outgrow your tank.

Had my fishes for a very long time and I dont see them getting any bigger.

No I dont keep a measuring tape in the tank.

waxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2008, 02:40 AM   #11
BangkokMatt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waxy

That info is in-correct.
Fish fail to grow due to poor nutrition,in-appropriate husbandry, poor water qualty etc. Stunted growth in a fish is causing undue stress to the fish and can / will cause major development problems in their skeleton.
If fish aren't developing properly in a tank then there is something wrong.

If your statement were correct we could keep any fish in any size tank providing the fish was added as a small juvi. It's simply not the case.

Last edited by BangkokMatt; 02/23/2008 at 03:01 AM.
Unread 02/23/2008, 03:24 AM   #12
swsmr
Registered Member

actually there is a truth to this theory, based on my own experience, I kept a yellow tang in a 20 gallon tank for over a year and it didn't grow much bigger than 3", after upgrading to the 120 tank that I have now the fish grow quiet large quickly,

so I think all fish adapts to there environment, that's why there is 12" tangs in the ocean but they only get up to 8" in captivity

swsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2008, 04:24 AM   #13
BangkokMatt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by swsmr
I kept a yellow tang in a 20 gallon tank for over a year and it didn't grow much bigger than 3"
I am not surprised in a 20g. Which leads me back to poor husbandry.

Unread 02/23/2008, 11:17 AM   #14
t5Nitro
Registered Member

I'm in agreement with Bang. You guys are the ones that will take advice from people who tell you what you want to hear, and isolate the advice from others with more correct information. In which case, go for the naso in the tank, you will anyways.

Unread 02/23/2008, 01:16 PM   #15
BangkokMatt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by t5Nitro
I'm in agreement with Bang. You guys are the ones that will take advice from people who tell you what you want to hear, and isolate the advice from others with more correct information. In which case, go for the naso in the tank, you will anyways.
t5Nitro is so correct. If your going to do it - just do it. Don't thread for people to give you advice which is sound but you don't wanna hear

Unread 02/24/2008, 07:44 AM   #16
JCR's Reef
Registered Member

I just bought a 110 tank (granted it dont have the whole 10 extra gallons of water a 120 does) off of somebody and it came with a 8" Naso. He eats all the Macroalges I grow in my refugium right out of my hand and also eats everything else I put in the tank. He seems happy and is very healthy. He is an awsome fish that gets along with everyone else in the tank, but with how much they swim back and forth I know he would be happier in a bigger tank. I'm going to try to find someone local that wants to trade. The owner was going to take him to the pet store but the thought of someone else buying him and putting him in a 75 gallon is what made me take him to try finding him a good home. I would say Naso's need at least 180g. or bigger.
I dont think fish really have a choice but to adapt to there environment given they dont have anywhere else to go. In therory they wont grow as fast in a small tank because of the food sources and water quality. In a bigger tank with alot of rock and stuff, its adds more diversity of all areas. Im not trying to single anyone out so dont take it the wrong way. People have different successes.

Current Tank Info: Starphire Rimless Tank, ATB Elegance 200. Click on my name and visit my build thread. Lots of pics
JCR's Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2008, 04:43 PM   #17
sean48183
Registered Member

I don't care what size tank people have them in fish will always grow slower in captivity than the ocean. Food is always available in the ocean where as in your tank it is fed to them. It will always be hard to duplicate the ocean enviroment in any tank. If you get a small naso you will probably be alright for a few years but will have to eventually upgrade.

sean48183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2008, 08:03 PM   #18
JamesJR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sean48183
I don't care what size tank people have them in fish will always grow slower in captivity than the ocean. Food is always available in the ocean where as in your tank it is fed to them. It will always be hard to duplicate the ocean enviroment in any tank.
I disagree. I think in a large enough tank it should be totally possible for fish to grow at comparable rates to that seen in the ocean.

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon
JamesJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2008, 08:05 PM   #19
xxseawolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waxy

Had my fishes for a very long time and I dont see them getting any bigger.

No I dont keep a measuring tape in the tank.
excellent advise!!!! so your telling me if i have a hard-on for a naso-achilles-sohal-unicorn-not to mention have of the tang species that it would be ok to put them in a nano tank!!!! you said and i quote"fish grow to the size of their tank. its what their body permits them to do. they should NEVER OUTGROW your tank." that is retarded advice and you are ignorant for giving that advice.

todd

xxseawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2008, 08:08 PM   #20
xxseawolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxseawolf
have

todd
sorry for misspelling "half"

Unread 02/24/2008, 08:42 PM   #21
xxseawolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by swsmr
actually there is a truth to this theory, based on my own experience, I kept a yellow tang in a 20 gallon tank for over a year and it didn't grow much bigger than 3", after upgrading to the 120 tank that I have now the fish grow quiet large quickly,

so I think all fish adapts to there environment, that's why there is 12" tangs in the ocean but they only get up to 8" in captivity
you may be right but it doesnt meen its healthy. good luck.

todd

Unread 02/24/2008, 10:26 PM   #22
t5Nitro
Registered Member

Only get up to 8" in captivity is wrong too to the above quote. I've found 12" tangs in captivity and larger already.