Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01/23/2018, 09:43 PM   #1
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

Bacterial Bloom?

Hi all,
I've had my 40b up for a few months now and for about two weeks now my water has been cloudy to a point where I cant see my wavemaker looking from the opposite side. I think this could be a bacterial bloom from a few snails that I added a few weeks ago. None have really moved around so far. I made sure the were all still alive so I didn't have any excess organic matter in the tank. This produced one dead one out of 8. I removed it about three days ago and the water is still cloudy. I can get parameters up tomorrow. I only have a colony of zoas, and meter shower cyphastrea coral wise. The cyphastrea has one polyp thats pretty much black right now. I don't know if thats related. Anyways, is there anyway I can clean this up fast. Everything I find on the internet says that it should end on its own but I am getting worried due to the degree of cloudiness.

JenkinsThePole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2018, 05:31 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Water changes can/will help.. Do a 50% one or so..

You sure its not sand being stirred up by the wavemaker?

Old 01/24/2018, 08:37 AM   #3
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

Yes, I got a glass of tank water and set it aside for a few days to see if anything would settle. Nothing did which is what leads me to believe its a bacterial bloom. I'll post parameters when I get back from class this evening.

Old 01/24/2018, 10:59 AM   #4
ReefKeeperNYC
Registered Member

What is your filtration setup? Skimmer? Overflow?

Do you have aqequate flow via poweheads?

ReefKeeperNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2018, 11:00 AM   #5
ReefKeeperNYC
Registered Member

Could be calcium carbonate buildup. Did it happen after a waterchange?

ReefKeeperNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2018, 11:09 AM   #6
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Water changes and if you have one a UV sterilizer is good for this.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s, MP40, and a Tunze 6305. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2018, 11:35 AM   #7
AlSimmons
Registered Member

or you could just let nature takes it's course and let it go away on it's own. As long as the parameters were within reason this is what I would do. Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing at all. GL.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2018, 12:29 PM   #8
Uncle99
Registered Member

Above, now that's sound advice!

Uncle99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2018, 07:07 PM   #9
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

Thanks for the help so far! To answer all of your questions. My parameters are:
Nitrate-0
Phosphate-0
Calcium-470
Alk-7.7
Temp-78
Salinity-1.025
Ammonia-0? (looks to be zero but could be .25 I only have one of those cheap api test kits for it)
I have no sump or skimmer. Im running an aquaclear 70 with a sponge, Clear FxPro, and poly-filter that is attached to a surface skimmer. Im running a Koralia Nano 240gph on the side with the aquaclear (its hanging on the side not the back) and a Jebao pp-4 on the other side. I change about 10% every week. It did not happen after a water change. I use reef crystals if thats if any help.

Old 01/25/2018, 06:41 AM   #10
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
or you could just let nature takes it's course and let it go away on it's own. As long as the parameters were within reason this is what I would do. Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing at all. GL.
It could takes weeks, possibly months to go away depending on what it was caused by. No one wants to not be able to see thru their tank for weeks on end.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s, MP40, and a Tunze 6305. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2018, 11:34 AM   #11
AlSimmons
Registered Member

or it could go away in a matter of days...

If the tank's due for a water change you might want to go ahead and do that, but I wouldn't do anything drastic just yet. (especially shell out the money for a UV sterilizer) Cloudy water in a tank that's only 3 months old is definitely not unheard of or cause for alarm either IMO.

Last edited by AlSimmons; 01/27/2018 at 12:03 PM.
AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2018, 05:10 PM   #12
TokiHacker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenkinsThePole View Post
Thanks for the help so far! To answer all of your questions. My parameters are:

Nitrate-0

Phosphate-0

Calcium-470

Alk-7.7

Temp-78

Salinity-1.025

Ammonia-0? (looks to be zero but could be .25 I only have one of those cheap api test kits for it)

I have no sump or skimmer. Im running an aquaclear 70 with a sponge, Clear FxPro, and poly-filter that is attached to a surface skimmer. Im running a Koralia Nano 240gph on the side with the aquaclear (its hanging on the side not the back) and a Jebao pp-4 on the other side. I change about 10% every week. It did not happen after a water change. I use reef crystals if thats if any help.

Those API tests are notorious for throwing false positive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02/02/2018, 10:41 PM   #13
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

Alright, The bloom has yet to get better on its own. On top of that i just pulled two new dead snails that were bright green under their shells ( which I assume is just some type of algae feasting). The rest are not moving really but they're still alive. The new ones I got about a month ago still have barely moved since I got them. They all seem to keep flipping themselves over where ever I put them. They don't smell and respond to touch. I figure the bacterial bloom is from the snails dying off but I have no idea why they are dying. The only other thing I have in there besides that is my tuxedo urchin (which I really don't want to die). I guess what I am trying to ask is there any type of disease that can run through snails or anything with the water chemistry that can cause this? My cyphastrea has a few more black polyps on the side of the disk but the top ones still look healthy. The zoanthids are just fine. I still have algae pretty bad due to it being a new tank but I don't think that would cause everything to start dying off. Im just a bit confused and if anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated.

Tags
bacterial, bloom, cloudy, new tank