Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/03/2013, 07:09 PM   #951
Copperhead1
Registered Member

I don't think you can do automatic dosing due to the fact that VC loses it potency very fast when exposed to air in dry or liquid form.

Copperhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2013, 02:02 PM   #952
twistedfinn967
Registered Member

Being new to reef keeping and zoa's, I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the various subjects. I found the vitamin c debate interesting and found the following posted at www.planetzoa.com, it is just over one month old.

Vitamin C and Zoas October 01 2013

Our customers often ask us where we stand on this issue, and we have always responded with an overwhelming word of caution. To briefly summarize for those unfamiliar with the concept, vitamin C (ascorbic acid) bound to a buffering agent (calcium or sodium) is added to the reef aquarium as a supplement for the purpose of promoting zoa health. Proponents have claimed reduced oxidative stress, resulting in enhanced immunity and overall vitality in polyps. The claims, though anecdotal, are not entirely without merit. Buffered ascorbate is a relatively benign substance to reef inhabitants, and further still can become a carbon food source for denitrifying bacteria. Which raises the question and first major criticism, that these anecdotal success stories are simply a result of the polyps reacting to improved water quality. Furthermore, ascorbate as a carbon source is inferior to other proven substances and presents unique challenges in dose calculation. A challenge that I can verify in my own experimentation. However, there is still the purported benefit of antioxidant capacity. Thus far my research has turned up not one study to prove integration of free form vitamin c into the reef organism. I've also yet to find any study regarding endogenous antioxidant levels, and whether zoanthids seek supplementation exogenously. Until a study is unearthed or a new study performed, we advise to err on the side of caution, and rely on scientifically justified means of achieving total polyp nirvana.
Interesting side note, humans, guinea pigs, and a few primates lack L-gulonolactone oxidase, rendering them incapable of producing vitamin C endogenously (internally). The entire rest of the animal kingdom possess this important genetic capability. The USDA recommends an adult 2 lb guinea pig be supplemented with 25 mg per day of vitamin C. The US RDA of the vitamin for adult humans to be 75-90 mg. That's about 1-2 percent of what's recommended for a guinea pig (adjusted for weight). Fortunately, humans have the ability to convert the oxidized form, DHAA, out of the cells and back into vitamin C in times of deficiency. A debate still rages on about how much dietary vitamin C is actually necessary. Curiously, DHAA crosses the blood brain barrier where it converts to vitamin C and performs its restorative magic as it easily crosses cell membranes. Maybe coral would more readily accept DHAA!! Hmm...I wonder if any reef supplements compliment this? Many land vegetables contain ascorbic acid oxidase, and enzyme which rapidly converts AA into DHAA. And though I havent found evidence for it, I suspect nori and spirulina sport this enzyme as well.

twistedfinn967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 03:17 PM   #953
manny532
Moved On

every time i try to click on iherb links i get a 404 not found page. what is the name of the vitamin c product you guys are using/recommend? i mainly want this as a supplement for my fish for good health /color.

manny532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2015, 03:05 PM   #954
manny532
Moved On

anyone...?

Unread 04/01/2015, 07:48 PM   #955
garygonzales
Registered Member

this is what i use

http://www.iherb.com/NutriBiotic-Sod...4-g/10178?at=0

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2015, 09:58 PM   #956
manny532
Moved On

awesome, thank you so much!

Unread 04/03/2015, 11:58 PM   #957
manny532
Moved On

I actually ordered it earlier however I have a few questions for you if you don't mind. How long have you been using it and has it messed with your ph? I read there's a buffered version of the vitamin c you can use that will not mess with your ph and this one doesn't seem to be buffered.

Unread 04/04/2015, 09:47 AM   #958
garygonzales
Registered Member

i believe that it is buffered...and hasn't changed my ph

Unread 04/07/2015, 11:11 AM   #959
manny532
Moved On

well, i received it today so lets see what happens. thanks again

Unread 08/23/2016, 07:31 PM   #960
Nickmcc
Registered Member

What's the name of the vitamin c you dose with? The link isn't working

Nickmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2016, 05:16 PM   #961
garygonzales
Registered Member

the link works for me ...hmmm try again

Unread 05/24/2017, 08:58 PM   #962
masterbeat
Registered Member

Corals Freaked Out After Vitamin C Dose

Hey all,

I know this thread is a bit old but wondering if anyone following before or new might notice and comment on my fresh experience with dosing Vitamin C in a 20 gal Nano. After reading up on all the forums including the clay-boa 20 page split threads about it, I decided to take the plunge and dose to help with a rapidly melting Zoa colony. I started yesterday with the Brightwell Vitamarin C then switched today to buffered Sodium Ascorbate from iHerb as recommended by everyone in those threads.

What I'm concerned about and wondering if anyone else dosing experienced this is that, within 5 - 10 minutes of dosing, all my corals went nuts! I have two bubble corals that rapidly expanded in crazy shapes (really inflated), then after that they rapidly closed up and pulled everything super tight into their skeletons. I have a branching hammer and a torch coral that retracted and pulled all the polyps inside really fast, and all the zoa colonies glossed over. Even the mushrooms inflated then pulled themselves in.

Here are some pics so you can see the bubbles (lower left) in their skeletons, the hammer and torch (top center) all retracted, etc.

The Vitamin C is all I dosed. They did this just a bit with the Brightwell and now major craziness after the powder. I dosed for 30ppm for a 20 gal tank (putting in about 1500 mg total).

I find it crazy that I experienced this immediately yet no one seems to mention anything like this happening in all the threads and pages and pages of people talking about doing this.

Most say over-dosing is near impossible, and I don't think the dose I described was anywhere near an overdose.

What would cause this and should I be alarmed that everything went crazy and retracted, like REALLY retracted, into itself? We're about 3 hours later and everything is still in hiding.

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5843.jpg (82.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5844.jpg (85.8 KB, 35 views)
masterbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 03:26 PM   #963
Majority_Rules
Registered Member

Might want to check your pH just in case.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Majority_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 06:45 AM   #964
Reefer40b
Registered Member

How about a bump for the new year... Anybody still doing this with good results?

Owner Hidden Treasure Corals LLC
Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 10:40 AM   #965
rogersb
Registered Member

Nobody doses vitamin c any more? I was hoping to see some pics. I am just getting back into reefing and have been thinking of doing this but am on the fence.

rogersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2019, 09:57 AM   #966
The Big Chill
Registered Member

I have a mixed tank (SPS, LPS and softies). I started dosing Brightwells Vitamarin-C for about 2 months now and I am seeing fantastic results with my Zoas that hadn't grown since I had them. Now I see 2 new heads. I could never get those zoas to multiply for like a year. My euphyllia corals are doing excellent and my fish seem healthier also. The cherry on top is that my chaeto is disappearing meaning this stuff is lowering my nitrates and phosphates to practically nothing. I had very little small patches of hair algae on the glass and some cyano....now all completely gone. My protein skimmer is skimming really really well since dosing this. Only positive results with me.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote