Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2017, 09:35 AM   #1
allendehl
Registered Member

ON Formula One - Small pellets questions

Hello guys,

I recently ordered some Ocean Nutrition food (pellets and flakes) based on good reviews from people around the forum.

I ordered the small pellet size but as soon as I put them in the tank they sink like rocks to the bottom. Whatever the fish (2 clowns and 2 chromis) can't catch before it touches the sand stays there wasted. They would not go for it.

I also have some New Life Spectrum pellets that are smaller and do stay in the surface.

is this normal from ON pellets?...if so...how do you do it so they dont go to waste at the bottom of the tank?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 10:09 AM   #2
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Most of the time, it floats. Try turning pumps off or on and see if it makes any difference. I manually feed one pinch at a time and pellets get eaten before reaching the bottom. I tried one of those feeding ring thingy and the pellets go straight down, so I stopped using it.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 10:47 AM   #3
rvareef
In Memoriam

both are great and if you dont like turning off your pumps to feed use the on pellets, if you turn off your pumps the floating pellets are a good option since they dont get sucked down the overflow. You should feed the on slowly and they will learn to go after them quick and should get the ones on the sandbed.

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 10:50 AM   #4
allendehl
Registered Member

I do turn off pumps and powerheads. I'll try feeding them smaller portions and see if they catch them but before hitting the bottom.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 11:34 AM   #5
scooter31707
Registered Member

I have used them and mines did the same thing. Needless to say, I went back to NLS.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote