Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2019, 01:26 PM   #1
crobattt
Registered Member

Need a new tank - Help me decide

Hey guys,

I'm sure this will probably be the cliche post on here. I had several nano and large tanks when I was young. All throughout high school and early college.

I finally had to break them down due to only being home for a few days a month.

Fast forward a few years, and I have landed my dream job and have settled in my new home. I'm looking for a nano tank. I'm wanting 15-20 gallons. I prefer an all in one tank kind of like the biocube used to be. That being said I'm not sure what's the best kind of tank for this kind of setup. I'd like to have a place to mount a skimmer in the tank if possible.

I don't plan keeping high end corals - zoas and mushrooms the max. I want to keep it simple.

What I want livestock.

- One clown (possibly two if the tank size/filtration permits)
- Goby
- Peppermint shrimp

and possibly the corals I've mentioned above.

What do you guys suggest I look at?

Thank you for all the help!

Phil 4:13: I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
crobattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Yin_Yang247
Registered Member

Red Sea MAX NANO Complete Reef System - Black

https://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_...CKCKTT-vi.html

Fully featured 75 litre/20 gal, Plug & Play reef system
The MAX NANO combines a contemporary, rimless design with state of the art technology.
This fully-featured REEF-SPEC system provides everything necessary in order to enable you to enjoy the beauty and diversity of your own piece of thriving coral reef, rather than worrying about component selection, suitability and compatibility.

The all new MAX NANO features the very latest in reef-keeping technology including AI’s Prime HD LED lighting with integrated Wi-Fi control, REEF-SPEC filtration and circulation systems, an Automatic Top-Off unit and an easy access power center.

Red Sea MAX True REEF-SPEC® for a successful reef
The Red Sea MAX REEF-SPEC performance criteria is the result of Red Sea’s years of research into the sustainable growth of all corals, including the most delicate “SPS” corals, in an artificial reef environment. This knowledge, gained over 25 years, forms the basis for the specification of all Red Sea MAX Aquarium systems designs.

Advanced LED Lighting system with integrated Wi-Fi
The MAX NANO incorporate the all-new AI Prime HD LED lighting, providing the most up to date LED technology to give a superb performance and a remarkably user-friendly interface.

The Prime HD unit offers a full spectrum, 7 color LED configuration giving great color rendition and a multitude of lighting effects. The revolutionary control system dynamically adjusts the power available to each color by utilizing power not being used by other colors, effectively enabling selected channels to be ‘boosted’ to above 100% output. The lighting is fully controllable via a built-in Wi-Fi which is compatible with iOS and Android devices and with any Wi-Fi-enabled Mac or PC.

At only 55w power consumption the Prime HD can be set to provide true REEF-SPEC® lighting for the MAX® NANO. The LED unit is firmly bolted to the aquarium and can be rotated to give easy access to the rear sump for all of the regular maintenance requirements or for reefscaping.

MAX NANO ultra-clear glass
The front and two side panels of the MAX NANO are constructed from 8mm ultra-clear glass with smart bevelled edges top and bottom for the ultimate viewing experience.

MAX NANO Circulation
A European Eco pump provides 950 l/h(240gph) of water flow, circulating the entire water volume 12 times an hour through the filter system. Flow is returned to the aquarium via the discrete multidirectional “eye ball” nozzles that can be adjusted to ensure there are no dead she skimmer approximately 3 times per hour and with a 3 to 1 water to air ratio. The NANO skimmer is not affected by the regular fluctuation in the water level of the rear sump due to evaporation and has an adjustable outlet gate to maintain the optimal skimmate consistency which will vary according to actual water conditions. The NANO skimmer runs quietly with a built-in silencer on the air intake and a sponge on the outlet to eliminate the sound of cascading water.

MAX NANO Media Shelf
The rear sump includes a fixed shelf for media, positioned to guarantee 100% positive water flow. The MAX NANO is supplied with 100g of Red Sea’s REEF-SPEC carbon that will keep the aquarium water crystal clear for the first 2 months of operation.

Automatic Top-Off
The MAX NANO includes an Automatic Top-Off unit with a 1.5 litre/ .4 gal freshwater reservoir that is hidden behind the screen above the sump. The design of the rear sump together with the automatic top-off reservoir makes the MAX® NANO self-sufficient for about 3 days.
Control Unit for skimmer and circulation pumps
The MAX NANO features a power center with an individual on/off switches for the skimmer and circulation pumps enabling easy access for feeding and maintenance.
Rotatable Rear Sump Screen
A screen above the rear sump keeps all of the equipment out of sight but conveniently rotates out of the way for all regular maintenance and if necessary can be completely removed.

MARINE-SPEC Cabinet
The MAX NANO is available with an optional marine-spec laminate cabinet fronted with weatherproof epoxy painted doors with convenient push openers as well as soft close stainless steel hinges. The MAX NANO cabinets are offered with Black or White exteriors.

Red Sea MAX® NANO Features
Specification Description MAX® NANO
System water volume Combined aquarium and sump 75 L (20 gal)
Aquarium volume Display tank 62 L (16.5 gal)
Rear sump volume Rear sump 13 L (3.5 gal)
Aquarium glass thickness Ultra-clear front and side panels 8 mm (5/16")
Surface skimmer Removable surface skimmer v
LED lighting system AI Prime HD - 55 W 1 unit
Lighting control Wi-Fi based system compatible with iOS, Android and Wi-Fi enabled Mac or PC v
Total circulation lph (gph) Hidden circulation pump 1 x 950 lph (240 gph)
Protein skimmer ratio Water: Air 180 lph (46 gph) : 60 lph (15 gph)
Integrated power center Individual on/off switch for circulation and skimmer pumps v
Mechanical filtration Standard 225 micron filter bags; (optional 100 micron bags) 1
Filtration media Red Sea REEF-SPEC® Carbon 100g (3.5 oz)
Automatic Top-Off ATO with a 1.5L freshwater reservoir v
Cabinet (Optional) Marine Spec cabinet with weatherproof doors v
Length Display tank 45 cm (18")
Width Display tank 45 cm (18")
Height Display tank 45 cm (18")
Total system height Excluding LED light unit 132 cm (52")

Manufacturer Info
With a dedicated team of scientists and other professionals, Red Sea is widely recognized as a leading innovator and manufacturer of quality products for aquarium hobbyists. Red Sea constantly strives to provide hobbyists of all levels with highly effective solution-driven products designed to make your fish-keeping experience as enjoyable and successful as possible.

The embodiment of Red Sea’s dedication to providing solutions for today’s reef-keepers is its range of MAX-NANO, MAX-E & MAX-S aquariums- The only choice for true Plug & Play™ coral reef aquariums, now featuring the very latest in LED lighting technology.

For advanced reef-keepers the Red Sea REEFER provides a great platform into which you can add your own selection of hardware. With its ultra-clear glass, ATO built-in, silent flow valve and superb quality of finish the REEFER sets the standard for those wishing to customize. REEFER is also available as a Deluxe version with LED lighting included.

Red Sea’s unique Reef Care Program (RCP) provides a comprehensive, safe and easy to use program for testing and supplementing within reef aquaria, and is perfectly complemented by Red Sea’s Coral Pro & Red Sea Salt’s, which has become the salt of choice for those seeking the very highest quality water quality for their coral reef aquariums. Both salts are made using a unique natural process which delivers unrivalled homogeneity and is perfect for delicate corals. Check your individual bucket of salt’s composition using Red Sea’s innovative new “MyBatch” software.

Whatever your aquatic needs, Red Sea delivers high quality innovative, solution based products.

Yin_Yang247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2019, 05:04 PM   #3
twitchy
Registered Member

Depends on your budget, go with an all in one tank (AIO), little more upfront cost, but maintenance is a lot easier. I switched from a tank/sump set up to an AIO and will never go back. I have an innovative marine lagoon 25, innovative marine makes several different sizes of tanks depends on what you're doing for. It's a great tank, the red sea tanks mentioned above are also very nice.

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2019, 12:30 AM   #4
cojo8888
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
Depends on your budget, go with an all in one tank (AIO), little more upfront cost, but maintenance is a lot easier. I switched from a tank/sump set up to an AIO and will never go back. I have an innovative marine lagoon 25, innovative marine makes several different sizes of tanks depends on what you're doing for. It's a great tank, the red sea tanks mentioned above are also very nice.
Agree with you. Sump makes reef more stable cuz of additional space for filteration and water volume but not necessary easy. So many things to look up. Compared to aio when you can just see everything by glance.

Especially in nano size like he wants theres no other choice than aio cuz all you need is just water change once in a week. No fancy reactors or refugium needed lol

나의 SM-G950U 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

cojo8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2019, 12:37 AM   #5
cojo8888
Registered Member

Depend on your husbandary schedule.
I think sweet spot is 20g~25g

Because with that volume 3~5g wc is enough
And ro/di top off is breeze.

One thing makes me go away from larger tank is mainly cuz of water top off.

I like the innovatie marine lagoon but with innovative marine fusion 20 with only few corals and fishes you can have more visual impacts.

Also it will impact on your equipments and budget.

Choose wisely. You know once you start there no way other to go back and it's annoying to sell used stuffs

나의 SM-G950U 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

cojo8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2019, 01:56 PM   #6
crobattt
Registered Member

I actually realized I have a biocube 14 at my parents house. I'll need to replace the lighting/heater, but I think I'm going to go that direction and do some hardwork and some upgrades on it.

Phil 4:13: I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
crobattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2019, 11:10 AM   #7
houstonreefer
Registered Member

i agree sump give you flexibility but it requires space and investment up front.

houstonreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2019, 01:46 AM   #8
scattered
Registered Member

My Fluval EVO XII has been totally stable without a sump. I want to add a sump/refugium because I keep a mandarin dragonet (Biota aquaculture - eats prepared food) and a pair of saddle back misbar black clowns, and fresh food is a good treat. I plan on automating daily water change as well. I am coral free still. I feed sparingly but on a schedule. I will likely put the skimmer on a schedule when I finally start adding coral.

Unread 04/16/2019, 08:44 PM   #9
bigbpro916
Registered Member

I love my IM 30L. It’s an AIO. You do run out of room fast. Lol

bigbpro916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2019, 07:40 AM   #10
Krush
Registered Member

Wondering if OP made a decision yet? If so what did you decide??

I have the IM 25G Lagoon and I absolutely love it. The build quality is great and they make different sizes as others have mentioned. The RedSea tanks also look like they're very nice.

Krush is offline   Reply With Quote