Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2014, 08:14 PM   #1
Aqualund
Registered Member

My Lumia 5.2 / Jarduino Build

Well today is day one...the lights finally arrived. still waiting on some arduino parts.

I am trying out these lights at my coral farm to see if they will be a viable option for a larger operation. Figured I'd make a thread to help others...and maybe others can help me along the way

Aqualund is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2014, 08:34 PM   #2
pwreef
Registered Member

Wow you brave. I would be a little concerned with cooling so many 3W emitters packed so densely. What heatsink are you going to use?

Unread 01/23/2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Aqualund
Registered Member

Yeah that is a concern of mine. I'm starting with the 4.5" x 4.5" heatsink from heatsink usa with a 80mm fan for each puck. we shall see how cool they can stay!

Unread 01/23/2014, 10:33 PM   #4
coseal
Registered Member

I just ordered a couple of these 5.2 for a build I'm doing, could you give me a rough measurement of the light chip?

coseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2014, 10:50 PM   #5
djmx2002
Premium Member

tagging along... I need 5-10 multichip for my build (84x30x24 tank). I just got my first Lumia 5.2 today, seems pretty solid., I was actually planning to put 2 chips on the 12" Maker heat sink

djmx2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2014, 11:14 PM   #6
Fredfish
Registered Member

Yeah baby!!

Can you give us the specs on the tanks these are going over? I'm particularly interested in what area you expect each one to cover and at what water depth the frags will be.

Unread 01/23/2014, 11:17 PM   #7
Aqualund
Registered Member

Quote:
I just ordered a couple of these 5.2 for a build I'm doing, could you give me a rough measurement of the light chip?
1.5" x 3"

The tanks I will start these on are 4 500 gallon tanks that are 4'x8'. And a 120...The corals are 6 inches under the surface on the big tank...Im hoping for a 24x24 area coverage...but we'll see if that's possible or not

Unread 01/24/2014, 10:57 AM   #8
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Following along...Is this your first time using the Lumias?

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2014, 11:03 AM   #9
pwreef
Registered Member

What's your strategy for fan failure? I would think that heatsink that small would not be able to handle this chip with no fan.

Unread 01/24/2014, 11:04 AM   #10
Fredfish
Registered Member

With corals just 6" under the water, I wonder if you will get more than 24" x 24" coverage while still meeting your intensity requirements.

Unread 01/24/2014, 11:46 AM   #11
djmx2002
Premium Member

I think they recommend 2 chips per 24"

djmx2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2014, 02:11 PM   #12
Aqualund
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmx2002 View Post
I think they recommend 2 chips per 24"
From the website: "Expect to use only 1-2 of these high performance LEDs per 24x24x24 area in most scenarios"

So i'm starting with one...like I said though this is to test them out...if I need more, I can always get more.

Quote:
What's your strategy for fan failure? I would think that heatsink that small would not be able to handle this chip with no fan.
I was thinking of putting a heat-sensing circuit on the heat-sink...so that if it got too hot it would cut power to the leds. What do you think? Do you have any suggestions or wire diagrams for something similar?

Quote:
Following along...Is this your first time using the Lumias?
Yeah I didnt use the previous version...and I wouldn't have gotten this one until I saw the array of the same leds Im already using...so it's easily justified for me

Unread 01/24/2014, 03:44 PM   #13
Giga
Registered Member

pretty sweet

Current Tank Info: cool
Giga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2014, 04:27 PM   #14
pwreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualund View Post
I was thinking of putting a heat-sensing circuit on the heat-sink...so that if it got too hot it would cut power to the leds. What do you think? Do you have any suggestions or wire diagrams for something similar?
Well Jarduino does have the ability to dim LEDs in case heatsink temperature goes to some value. Are you going with individual heatsinks for each puck? Then you will need individual temperature sensors and you will certainly run out of channels on Arduino. Personally I have a fixture using 5 pucks similar to these lumia things. I have 1 temp sensor for the 36" makers heatsink. I am running modified Jarduino code re-written by the guy who designed the shield I am using. The shield controls fan speed using PWM depending on heatsink temperature. A lot of the times my fans are off completely since the temperature is pretty low. Below 82F, but I also don't have the density of LEDs like these Lumia boards. My pucks are only 12 LEDs and they are spread out over a larger area I think.

Unread 01/24/2014, 05:57 PM   #15
Aqualund
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwreef View Post
Well Jarduino does have the ability to dim LEDs in case heatsink temperature goes to some value. Are you going with individual heatsinks for each puck? Then you will need individual temperature sensors and you will certainly run out of channels on Arduino. Personally I have a fixture using 5 pucks similar to these lumia things. I have 1 temp sensor for the 36" makers heatsink. I am running modified Jarduino code re-written by the guy who designed the shield I am using. The shield controls fan speed using PWM depending on heatsink temperature. A lot of the times my fans are off completely since the temperature is pretty low. Below 82F, but I also don't have the density of LEDs like these Lumia boards. My pucks are only 12 LEDs and they are spread out over a larger area I think.
Yeah the pucks are going to be individuals...so I'm thinking that will get very complex to try and utilize the jarduino for this. I imagine just a basic transistor that only closes at say 180 could be fine...and then when it closes it goes to ground through a resistor? I guess a temperature based pull down jumper? Is that possible?

Unread 01/25/2014, 12:51 PM   #16
Aqualund
Registered Member

Got a basic ghetto test system going to see what works and what doesn't. So far a lot of little odds and ends proving to be a pita. But in running on max power for 6 hours now, the temp of the chip is 97 degrees...which is a little high for me...but not crazy, and still well below what could be allowed, especially since this chip doesnt have the deep red leds like the last one.

Unread 01/25/2014, 01:35 PM   #17
one clownfish
Registered Member

Great job so far, I'll be following along. What are you using for drivers?

one clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2014, 01:44 PM   #18
Aqualund
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one clownfish View Post
Great job so far, I'll be following along. What are you using for drivers?
Thanks! The meanwell ldd's

Unread 01/25/2014, 04:04 PM   #19
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

Hey Aqualund! Thanks for your advice via the Pm's! Wanting to follow this build to see how your corals react.

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2014, 11:35 AM   #20
bdevillier
Registered Member

How do you like the jarduino? I'm tossed between it and the coralux storm. How many channels of control does the jarduino have for lighting? Is it a lighting only controller or can it do more like control heaters and such?

bdevillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2014, 12:48 PM   #21
Aqualund
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdevillier View Post
How do you like the jarduino? I'm tossed between it and the coralux storm. How many channels of control does the jarduino have for lighting? Is it a lighting only controller or can it do more like control heaters and such?
I like it a lot. I've never used the storm so I don't know what the comparison is. The Jarduino starts with 7 channels for LEDS...and yeah it can do all of the rest of the controller functions with relay circuits...plus you can customize it if you need something in particular.

I imagine with the addition of IC chips you could have infinite led channels...but ive never done something like that. I dunno...I like how cheap it is, I like being able to customize it, and I like being able to fix anything that goes wrong

Unread 01/29/2014, 07:21 PM   #22
sparky45
Registered Member

I'm tagging along. Just about finished my order and I was wondering if the 180w power supply would be enough for 3 700H ldd's and 2 1000H ldd's. I'm going to be running 2 5.2's?

sparky45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2014, 08:09 PM   #23
Aqualund
Registered Member

you should be fine...at max power you will need 3.2A...and that one is a 3.75A PSU.

Unread 01/29/2014, 08:48 PM   #24
sparky45
Registered Member

Awesome. Going to finish my order now. Thank you for the fast response

sparky45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2014, 09:17 AM   #25
TriNewbie24
Registered Member

Cant wait to see it over the tank, what LDD's did you go with? 1000 & 700's? What's your setup per Lumia and what size are the Power Supplies?

TriNewbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote