Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2008, 10:45 PM   #1
kewwlkat123
Premium Member

Clownfish HOLE in stomach??

I have a male and a female clown and I have been thinking the female has been pregnant for a week or two as her stomach is larger than normal. When the lights came on today I noticed she has a hole on the side of her stomach. Anyone recognize what this could be?

kewwlkat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2008, 08:46 AM   #2
wicked_NaCl_h2o
Registered Member

I haven't got a clue, but I'm giving you a bump so some one that knows what is going on will help you. poor girl..Is she still eating?

Current Tank Info: 120g Chrysopterus Anemone tank 24g mimic blenny tank
wicked_NaCl_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2008, 10:20 AM   #3
kewwlkat123
Premium Member

I'll try feeding after work and see if she takes any. She used to be a BIG eater and she still swims away from the frogspawn. So, I'm assuming she will eat but we'll see. Thanks.

Unread 12/01/2008, 11:44 AM   #4
MarinaP
Registered Member

Looks like a parasite. I would FW dip and see this thing will detach.

Unread 12/02/2008, 01:36 AM   #5
kewwlkat123
Premium Member

I fed the tank only a little bit so she didn't eat a lot and tear it more if that's possible. She did eat some pellets. I also did a FW bath and it didn't attach but figured the FW bath would still be beneficial.

Any other suggestions other than asking in other forums?

Thanks for your help thus far.

Unread 12/02/2008, 09:52 PM   #6
sdietz2469
stickhead n chalice freak

it looks swollen... not a clue... but it does look like a hole...

Current Tank Info: 300DD sps dominant, ATB Med ext w/airstar 4-6105s, apex, geo 618 CaRx, PM 620 kalk, 500 gal total water. Check out my build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2116897
sdietz2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Slakker
Premium Member

Kind of reminds me of a bot fly larva...

While you were handling her during the FW bath did you happen to get a better look at the wound that would give you a better idea of what it actually is/most closely resembles? Is it really a hole?

Oceanic 58RR display/20H sump/fuge thread...follow the red house.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2008, 11:41 PM   #8
kewwlkat123
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slakker
Kind of reminds me of a bot fly larva...

While you were handling her during the FW bath did you happen to get a better look at the wound that would give you a better idea of what it actually is/most closely resembles? Is it really a hole?
Not sure about the bot fly larva...I've never heard of it and looked it up. Some pretty pictures I tell ya but it can't be that.

I did get a better look while doing a FW bath but I still have no idea what it is or resembles. Yes it is a hole showing her stomach or has bacteria growth. I'm not sure what the stomach would look like in this case. So it could be either or. Also if you follow her stomach from her tail side to her head you'll notice that this infection has swelled or grown a bulb like a tumor?

Do a google search for these words: aeromonas hole fish

I'm not sure if it could be this as the hole is white rather than red like the pictures show. This bacterial infection also occurs mainly in koi and goldfish but one artical I read said it can occur in saltwater species as well. Majority of the other symptoms she is not showing though.

Couple more pictures (best I could do without using the tripod):

Unread 12/07/2008, 03:34 PM   #9
kewwlkat123
Premium Member

The problem is getting worse as it's going to the other side of her stomach. Take a look and let me know if you have any ideas or recommendations for treatment and if it's contagious so I know whether the other fish are able to get it or not. I have a QT but I have a damsel in it that has been overly aggressive to tank mates in the display. I'm also checking to see whether anyone from the disease section rather than the clownfish section has ideas.

Thanks!

Unread 12/07/2008, 05:31 PM   #10
wesly2006
Registered Member

its unfortunate but it is some sort of infection. I noticed it on one of my percs and two days later it was dead Im not sure how to treat it but it wont last long if you dont

wesly2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2008, 05:55 PM   #11
kewwlkat123
Premium Member

Thanks for the reply. It's going on about 9-10 days now and is gradually getting worse.

Thanks again.

Unread 12/07/2008, 10:57 PM   #12
chrisstie
Premium Member

You could try running the clown in either pimafix or melafix, or possibly both at the same time. I'm not 100% sure on that but you'd have to check them out and follow their instructions.

PimaFix
Treats cotton-like fungal infections, and both internal and external bacterial infections. PimaFix harnesses the unique antifungal and antibacterial properties of the West Indian Bay Tree (Pimenta racemosa) for a safe and natural remedy; prevents the development of resistant strains of disease-causing organisms. Will not discolor water, affect biological filter, or pH during treatment. Will not harm aquatic plants. For extreme cases, PimaFix can safely be used with MelaFix to provide the added benefit of quick tissue regeneration and wound healing. 8 oz doses 400 gallons.

MelaFix
Contains the natural botanical extract from the Tea Tree (Melaleuca), an excellent alternative to resistant strains of bacteria that are unaffected by traditional medications. Treats bacterial infections such as red ulcers, fin and tail rot, cloudy eyes, mouth fungus, and others in as little as 4 days. Also heals open wounds, ulcers, and damaged fins. Doesn't affect pH; safe for invertebrates. NEW MelaFix Marine can also be used with corals to control bacterial infections, reverse coral degradation and remove parasitic flatworms. 8 oz MelaFix treats 480 gallons of marine or freshwater. 64 oz MelaFix is a concentrated formula and treats 19,000 gallons. 8 oz MelaFix Marine treats 474 gallons marine water.

From that it seems you can run them together. If you follow the directions you can run this in your reef tank without harm to corals or anemones. Just make sure you follow the water change schedule and keep your skimmer off for a bit.

Current Tank Info: I find it odd that there are children starving in this country and yet we euthanize millions of stray dogs and cats every year and then incinerate the bodies. Not only that, but we make it illegal to butcher the meat. -MarkS
chrisstie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2008, 08:12 AM   #13
chrisstie
Premium Member

Any word on how this guy is doing yet?

Current Tank Info: I find it odd that there are children starving in this country and yet we euthanize millions of stray dogs and cats every year and then incinerate the bodies. Not only that, but we make it illegal to butcher the meat. -MarkS
Unread 12/09/2008, 05:22 PM   #14
TROYREEFER
Registered Member

From the way the picture looks she's hosting in the frogspown. It might have burned the skin. I have seen that happen before. IMO

TROYREEFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2008, 10:54 PM   #15
kewwlkat123
Premium Member

No luck so far. It's getting worse as it now takes up about 65-75% of her stomach area. I am waiting on some Melafix and Pimafix but I doubt she'll make it by the time it arrives. She is still eating and swimming but stays close to the frogspawn on the back side of it and swims to the side but that's about it unless I'm feeding. She is swimming awkward because of it though. Likes she's waited down and waddles because of it.

I had previously thought about a sting but they've been hosting in this frogspawn for years without problems.

Updated pics:

Unread 12/09/2008, 11:39 PM   #16
Slakker
Premium Member

This is bizarre and truly gruesome...I hope she holds out long enough for the meds to arrive, and hope even more that they actually do something.

Oceanic 58RR display/20H sump/fuge thread...follow the red house.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2008, 11:48 PM   #17
kewwlkat123
Premium Member

Yeah it's bad. I'm taking her out of the display tank atm. I'll post some pictures in a little while....

Unread 12/10/2008, 04:40 PM   #18
jreeceaspen
Thirsty

Try Fresh Water Maracyn. A Cycle of that has cleared up some strange things with my clowns. Pop eye twice, I think the dummy runs into things. They are 8 and I have seen some strange things, but nothing like this? Good luck!

jreeceaspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2008, 04:36 AM   #19
kewwlkat123
Premium Member

Here's an update of some pictures. I took her out and have her in a small clear container with oxygen for now so I can observe her better.

The flake junk came off upon removing her from the display tank.

In addition, it seems to have been a tumor? Upon netting her this pea brain thing came out. I'm guessing it's a tumor as I have no idea lol. It was a tan/brown pebble the size of a pea. It was gooey or slimy on the outside but felt stiff like a frozen pea that has a slimy coating around it.

The last picture shows the best shot (a reflection) of the hole in her stomach.

Unread 12/11/2008, 08:21 AM   #20
chrisstie
Premium Member

That is utterly horrifying. I think its an alien I am sorry I don't mean to be funny but never even heard of anything like this let alone see it. Holy cow. There is one person I know who might know, let me send this thread to her and see what she thinks.

Unread 12/11/2008, 08:30 AM   #21
wicked_NaCl_h2o
Registered Member

That is so gross..Is she still eating and swimming around like nothing happened?

Current Tank Info: 120g Chrysopterus Anemone tank 24g mimic blenny tank
wicked_NaCl_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2008, 08:34 AM   #22
kimsie
Registered Member

Wow - I'm so sorry for what your poor fish must be going through.

If I had to guess - I would also guess that it was some kind of tumor.

How is she doing now?

Unread 12/11/2008, 10:17 AM   #23
skippy2
Registered Member

I have been following this thread since the beginning. I wish I had some definitive answer for you. I feel so bad for your poor fish.

Current Tank Info: no tank
skippy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2008, 10:24 AM   #24
kewwlkat123
Premium Member

She seems to be doing okay...swimming as if nothing happened. I haven't tried feeding yet and will do so tonight. I'm hoping it will heal but I'm assuming this is too large of a wound to recuperate from. Time will tell though.

At first I didn't think it was that gross until I had to touch it and it was slimy yet with a hard core. And then I don't know why, but I smelt it. I was thinking maybe it would have a distinct smell that may indicate what it could be. I didn't smell anything out of the ordinary though. I did feel sick to my stomach and was not longer hungry though.

It's not an alien but who knows what it could be for sure. It kind of looks like a walnut or brain.

Thanks for the help and comments everyone. I'll keep you posted on her status and let me know if anyone has anymore info.

Last edited by kewwlkat123; 12/11/2008 at 10:30 AM.
Unread 12/11/2008, 11:21 AM   #25
tufacody
Registered Member

This is just a waaay out there hunch, but I wonder if the fish has a problem with its ovipositor, and that lump is congealed eggs that died and could not be released.

tufacody is offline   Reply With Quote