Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/11/2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Iconics
Registered Member

BTA sick or stressed ......

Hi got a BTA 3 days ago seems to be not doing good 40 gallon wide water spot on temp @ around 79 posting pictures its still hold on to rocks and it close and opens plus look like a hole all the way though the center ....

Iconics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 04:28 AM   #2
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Perhaps import was too hard for it to handle, is it still alive now?

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 11:11 AM   #3
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

How old is your tank, also for nano tank i think it needs to be mature before introducing an anemone, 6 months of longer. Also gbta to me are harder to get them to acclimate to new tanks from my experience n takes longer. Rainbow or rose btas seem to do better, though they cost more at stores, but you can find reasonable price from fellow reefers.

Last edited by aznflyfisherman; 11/20/2017 at 01:09 PM.
aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Shia
Registered Member

Doesn't look great, but not horrible either. Couple things to keep in mind with BTA. Is the foot attached well to rock? Verify the lights you have it under are not significantly brighter then where it came from. Make sure your salinity is up to par. Those tests vials you posted don't show a key, so no idea what those colors relate to. If you can post your parameters that would be easier. API is a so-so test kit.

Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 04:39 AM   #5
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconics View Post
Hi got a BTA 3 days ago seems to be not doing good 40 gallon wide water spot on temp @ around 79 posting pictures its still hold on to rocks and it close and opens plus look like a hole all the way though the center ....
It is severely stressed and is showing its internals.

If its foot is secured then it has a chance, its foot looks it good condition no obvious tears etc, so good sign. If it is only 3 days old then it could just be acclimating to its new environment.

How did you acclimate to your tank? Generally, a slow drip over a couple of hours will help with a smooth transition from shipping to tank.

I have used some of the API test Kits and can tell there is no Ammonia and nitrites present and the PH is good, but what about Nitrate & SG.

The general rule of thumb is if you tank is stable enough to keep SPS corals in terms of stable parameters and lighting then you are ready to keep Anenomes.

You will do better with a tank split Anemone as it has already adapted to tank "life". If this is a wild Anemone then there is a possibility it is trying to adapt to its tank environment and it doesn't always happen. Also, wild ones tend to carry pathogens which could spread to other Anemones in the tank. I will always treat with Cipro as you would with a Mag or carpet Anemone as BTA's can deteriorate just as quick.

The only luck I've had with a BTA is a tank split one. The two wild ones I had just didn't do so well.

I would give it a little more time and do not feed at this point, as this will stress it out more as it takes a lot of energy for it to digest food, it will get its food from your light source (if sufficient). If it is still inflating and deflating then it may be worth starting treatment.

Last edited by fishkeeprian; 11/21/2017 at 04:57 AM.
fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote