Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2006, 06:15 PM   #176
Jordan55
Premium Member

Just from glacing at the ingredients, Ocean Plankton seems to be more healthier than mysis.

Current Tank Info: None
Jordan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2006, 06:47 PM   #177
Swanwillow
goby girl

due to the content? or the stuff printed: whats the package say, ingredient wise? and content wise?

Current Tank Info: starting over! 125 gallon. Soon to be home to Blackfoot clowns, A. nigripes
Swanwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2006, 07:10 PM   #178
Jordan55
Premium Member

Okay.

Ocean Plankton contains a lot of ingredients.

Here are the Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein- 12% min.
Crude Fat- 1.5% min
Crude Fiber- 3.5% max
H2O- 79%max

Mysis Shrimp's ingredients is only mysis.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein- 3.7% min
Crude Fat- .44% min
Crude Fiber- .3% max
H2O- 92% max

Doesn't the Analysis prove OP to be more nutrious... or am I wrong?

Unread 03/19/2006, 07:41 PM   #179
ReefNutPA
Registered Member

Jordan... which mysis is that? Most keepers use PE Mysis (69% protein) and/or Hikari mysis (10.5%min protein).

Plankton isn't a "standard" seahorse food. I'm not sure what effects it may have long-term if that is their diet.

Tom

ReefNutPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2006, 07:49 PM   #180
Jordan55
Premium Member

I'm using San Fransico Bay Brand.

Anyone have a picture of what PE or Hikari Mysis looks like (package picture) so I can look for it in the LFS next time.

Thanks

Unread 03/19/2006, 08:27 PM   #181
jmicky41
Registered Member

I noticed on the PE mysis bag the protein is 69% protein "dry weight". Aren't most things mostly protein if you dry them? Aren't most mysis brands the same species of shrimp? I wonder if the other brands rate their protein content with water (as packaged) not "dry weight". At any rate it is a fine product in my book and the fish love it.

Current Tank Info: 125 fowlr: 280watts VHO, 75LBS of mixed rock, Deltec AP600 skimmer, wet dry, GRi 518 return pump, 15 watt Aqua UV,(2) tunze 6000 on a 7095, goldflake angel(RIP), flame angel(8 years old), mitratus butterfly, yellow tang, majestic rabbitfsih
jmicky41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2006, 09:13 PM   #182
Swanwillow
goby girl

yes, most things are protein dry weight... its kinda confusing, really. brine shrimp is 8% not water when hydrated, I don't know how much mysis is when hydrated: probably around 20% or so.

PE uses a different type of bigger mysis than normal. Otherwise, its about the same... the packaging process is different also, with PE being bigger and intact, vs other brands.

Current Tank Info: starting over! 125 gallon. Soon to be home to Blackfoot clowns, A. nigripes
Unread 03/21/2006, 05:53 AM   #183
Jordan55
Premium Member

Okay, now that the horses are eating fine, I am ready to try my feeding station. But.... I just do not understand how it works! I mean, how will the horses know that the food is in there? My horses seem to always be low in the tank at feeding time, and my male always seems to be in the rocks when it comes time

So tell me some good pointers to get them into a feeding station. Here are a few things I do for feeding, and a few questions.

I thaw my mysis within like 5 minutues. Turn of the filter. Use my syringe to suck up the mysis then squirt a little bit at a time to the horses. I usually suck up anything that gets away (or atleast try) and squirt it back down to them.

Questions:

Should the feeding station be in the tank 24/7 so they get use to it? Or should it be enetered in the tank at feeding times, so they know whats comming.

Should I try and feed certain times on the days? I usually feed whenever I get a chance, two times a day. But with high school, tennis, youth group, work, and friends..... my feeding times get alll screwed up.

Thanks!

Unread 03/21/2006, 06:59 AM   #184
Swanwillow
goby girl

mine is left in the tank... its actually attached to the side of the tank.

if they are used to the syringe, do they react to it? mine come a swimming right away when they see mine... then, instead of squirting into the water column, squirt it down into the feeding dish. they'll stare at it, snick at it maybe: if you have to, gently blow it around so it moves a bit...

they'll catch on.

Unread 03/21/2006, 02:50 PM   #185
alien9168
Registered Member

I like the new tank layout.

-alien

Current Tank Info: I used to have a 30g custom acrylic cube sps, lps, zoos, mushrooms, leathers, 3" gigas+ anthias. 30Xg Sea Horse Tank...starting fresh...
alien9168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2006, 08:00 PM   #186
Jordan55
Premium Member

Thanks Alien.

I just got some new caulerpa macro today. Looks real good.

I have a couple questions real quick.

A- I know when it comes to feeding horses, it can be tricky with how much to feed and how often. I heard that you shouldn't feed too much at one time because it can pass right through their bodies. But you also shouldn't feed too little because they may not be able to pull enough nutrients out of the mysis.

But I was really wondering about the time lapse in between feedings. What is the minimal and maxium? I feed my horses 2 times a day, but sometimes can't feed the first time untill 3 PM. So I was just wondering how long is too long and too short in between feedings.

B- What exactly is a "pygmy" sea horse? Are they dwarfs? Do they have a scientific name? One of my LFS got two in. They are already on hold, but was wondering if they had a more scientific name than pygmy, or if their are different types. They were only probably an inch in length.

Thanks, and I will post a picture this weekend

Unread 03/30/2006, 11:51 PM   #187
pledosophy
Registered Member

The feeding to much is usually not a concern with adult seahorses. With fry it is possible. there have been reports of fry pooping out live bbs.

Zoastrea is the scientific name for pygmy's. They are probably from OR, they like to use those cute little names.

Unread 03/31/2006, 04:28 PM   #188
alien9168
Registered Member

I feed my horses mysis once a day, after i eat dinner. They are doing well.

-alien

Current Tank Info: I used to have a 30g custom acrylic cube sps, lps, zoos, mushrooms, leathers, 3" gigas+ anthias. 30Xg Sea Horse Tank...starting fresh...
alien9168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2006, 04:57 PM   #189
jojon60
Registered Member

Jordon,
I use a deep shell that I glued to a piece of coral. The coral is stuck in the sand so the shell sits about 2 inches off the bottom. This keeps the snails from getting in to quick. I have a couple of hitches close to the edge of the shell so they can be comfortable when they eat.
I cut a piece of clear plastic tubing thats used for the uplift on a underground filter, The larger tube not the hard airline (any fish store should have it) so I can stick it into the shell and have about 6 inches above the water.
After I inrich the mysis I rinse it in a net and sling it dry then put in a small cup. At the tank I use my baster to put a little salt water from the tank in to the cup so I can suck up the mysis into the baster. Holding the tube steady with my left hand I use my right hand and gently tap on the tube with the baster as I slowly squirt the mysis into it. The noise makes them look towards the tube, because the mysis sinks slowly the seahorses see it and come running.
I leave it in the dish for about 30 mins. If they haven't finished it and have left the feeding station I suck up the left overs from the dish.
Hope that makes since.

jojon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2006, 04:37 PM   #190
Jordan55
Premium Member

Hey.

I made a feeding dish out of a clam shell. Seems to hold, but the female (more active at feeding time) didn't seem to enjoy it. I don't know if she cant see the food in it, but when I squirt it in, she looks around and ignores it. Then I suck it up and swirt it in front of her and she eats. I am still trying at each feed.... so I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

Anyways, today I came home to babies. I saw about 10 or so floating near the top. It's so sad. I have not had the time and money to set up a tank for them let alone the food they need.

I figure within the next month or so I will do a bit more research and whatnot and hopefully be ready to raise them by June or so.