Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2017, 09:59 AM   #1
justthewife
Registered Member

New anemone

Got a new anemone in my fish only tank (90 gallons). When at the LFS it was pretty bleached but had a tight mouth but no one could identify what kind it was but they said it was probably an GBT. Ok, so I have had anemones before and they thrived so well I had to rehome them. This one I have had for two weeks now and it won't attach to anything. It is now a neon green color with white tips and in a cave on the sand bed. It won't attach. It hates my flow which is only at 15% right now to try to get it to attach to something. It just floats around and acts like a jellyfish with a pulsing motion and it appears to be swimming. It also keeps getting face planted stuck on the powerhead (I have a foam guard on it) and it does not appear damaged at all. My other anemones in the past had all attached within hours. It has gotten bigger and eats well and the color is way better. We have caribsea liferock. Does it not like my rock?

Current Tank Info: 90 gal tank AquaMax skimmer LED EchoTech Gen 3 lights Gyre150 RO/DI water
justthewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 10:23 AM   #2
Cliving1
Registered Member

How did you acclimate? Any parameter concerns? I have never been very good at keeping bta's (if thats what it is) either. A picture to identify would help.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 10:28 AM   #3
justthewife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
How did you acclimate? Any parameter concerns? I have never been very good at keeping bta's (if thats what it is) either. A picture to identify would help.
Drip acclimated him for about an hour or so. Parameters are all normal except maybe nitrates are at 5. He seems pretty healthy to me. He looks a ton better than when we got him. I will get a picture when he comes out of the cave and swims around lol.

Current Tank Info: 90 gal tank AquaMax skimmer LED EchoTech Gen 3 lights Gyre150 RO/DI water
Unread 10/12/2017, 10:53 AM   #4
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

From my experience with GBTA, they are pretty finicky. They tend to move around more and takes longer to acclimate, also my took longer to recover from bleaching. But all my rbta was good from day one.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 11:20 AM   #5
dieselkeeper
Registered Member

I had a carpet anemone that would not attach anywhere. I put it in a ceramic coffee mug, where it stayed attached. The foot was not in light. They hate to have light shining on the foot. Then I could place it somewhere to my liking. Considering light and flow was to its liking. I stacked some rock around to to hide the mug. It stayed put for a year until I rehomed it.

Unread 10/12/2017, 02:02 PM   #6
justthewife
Registered Member

Picture

Hopefully this picture will work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171012_154023.jpg (34.2 KB, 123 views)

Unread 10/12/2017, 02:06 PM   #7
justthewife
Registered Member

another picture

20171012_153840.jpg

Unread 10/12/2017, 02:07 PM   #8
justthewife
Registered Member

any ideas as to what he is?

Unread 10/12/2017, 02:22 PM   #9
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

It is a Macrodactyla Doreensis (long tentacle anemone, or LTA).

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 02:26 PM   #10
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

They don't always seem able to dig/root, by themselves.

They want to be in a place where the flow brings them stuff, and they want sand for their foot. But if you bury a plastic cup (no sharp edges), and place it's foot in there, you can get it to settle.

Unread 10/12/2017, 02:30 PM   #11
justthewife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Heavens View Post
It is a Macrodactyla Doreensis (long tentacle anemone, or LTA).
Thank you. Will it attach to the glass under the sand eventually then? Or do I do something else for it? It was pretty colorless when I got it but now a lot greener. Is he still recovering then? I didn't think it was an LTA because the body or foot is white. Maybe more bleached than I thought.

Unread 10/12/2017, 02:33 PM   #12
justthewife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Heavens View Post
They don't always seem able to dig/root, by themselves.

They want to be in a place where the flow brings them stuff, and they want sand for their foot. But if you bury a plastic cup (no sharp edges), and place it's foot in there, you can get it to settle.
Thanks, I will try that. Otherwise, will he eventually get big enough to not be blown around?

Unread 10/12/2017, 02:38 PM   #13
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Since it is getting stronger, I guess it will dig in eventually.

I gave mine too much light and had to slow down, but it was only slightly bleached from the import itself, but it also had that pale base on it. I'm not sure if it just means that it has eaten all its reserves or something? I think their base will colour back up in time. I think that variant is nicknamed white tip but I don't recall where they are collected exactly. They do have a great green and I hope you'll love it

Unread 10/12/2017, 02:51 PM   #14
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

If possible:

Create a trap in the flow patter in the tank, so the Nem feels like all the flows in the world is best right there, or it will jump the flow in an attempt to find the spot that gets the most food etc. I think they give up sometimes on the rooting but it is just an impression of mine though.

Enjoy

Unread 10/12/2017, 02:53 PM   #15
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

*flow pattern, not flow patter

Unread 10/12/2017, 08:09 PM   #16
pfan151
Registered Member

Looks to be a LTA. Tough to know for sure without better pics. Need at least 4" of sand for those

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 06:15 AM   #17
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Oh I had one just like it, it's a white tip neo green Macrodactyla Doreensis, you can clearly see the central circle of tentacles there.

I had it for a month, then added two clowns who dug out its root constantly until it gave up...

But they are gorgeous and actually very rare.
The LTA is the hosting Nem with the least global spread and those neo-white tip kinds are not that common a variant.

It wasn't the type I wanted to host myself, so I got another one now but it is definitely a white tip neo macrodactyla.

Unread 10/13/2017, 08:58 PM   #18
Postal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthewife View Post
Thank you. Will it attach to the glass under the sand eventually then? Or do I do something else for it? It was pretty colorless when I got it but now a lot greener. Is he still recovering then? I didn't think it was an LTA because the body or foot is white. Maybe more bleached than I thought.
The column is entirely white?

Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 12:37 AM   #19
Jamie1210
Registered Member

Not to add to the confusion, but what does the foot look like? Does it have prominent verrucae? Can u take a pic? I'm asking bc the tentacles look like a magnifica nem to me.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 12:38 AM   #20
Jamie1210
Registered Member

And mags are not sand dwellers, so maybe that will help.

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 01:28 AM   #21
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Magnificas have tentacles all over the oral disk.

The Macrodactyla have the circle of tentacles in the middle of the oral disk, surrounded by skirts of outer tentacles (as seen on the picture showing the anemone from above here).

Their base/foot/root is supposed to be orange or bright red, hence the nickname red foot anemone, but, when they get bleached, it can turn just as white as the rest of the Nem.

Unread 10/14/2017, 05:11 PM   #22
justthewife
Registered Member

Well, he is now settled in the sand in the cave. He has not moved from there and he looks like he might be attached. His foot is white. I guess I will eventually find out what kind of anemone he is for sure. I am leaning toward the long tentacle because he was in a tank at the fish store with a bunch of other long tentacle anemone that all came in at the same time. But he did not look like those. They were big and had red or purple feet and he is small. Like a little bigger than a ping pong ball size. I am just happy he is not floating all over the tank and getting stuck on the power head.

Unread 10/14/2017, 05:32 PM   #23
justthewife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1210 View Post
Not to add to the confusion, but what does the foot look like? Does it have prominent verrucae? Can u take a pic? I'm asking bc the tentacles look like a magnifica nem to me.

I can't get a picture of the base but I have seen it and it does look white with a frilly part up near the tentacles that appears to be polka dottie.

Unread 10/15/2017, 05:23 AM   #24
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

People seem to prefer BTA or Ritteri nems but macrodactylas are my interest. I have a dedicated macrodactyla tank and when I got a neo green white tipped one, the store had two.

One had pointy tentacles and the other rounded like yours.
I have seen at least four in that colour in that store, when they get a new one, I will link you the page.

This is just a small macrodactyla, mine died because clowns dug out its root constantly and it fled into the powerhead and gave up after much commotion and heartache

Yours is a Macrodactyla Doreensis, no question at all, it will become bigger than BTAs but not as big as the Ritteri.

Sorry for the discussion, I just wanted to be clear that it is possible to make a certain ID on this. The Macrodactyla is wonderful, I really do not think any other Nem compares in beauty to that one species.
Anyway, have fun

Unread 10/25/2017, 12:25 PM   #25
justthewife
Registered Member

This anemone is driving me nuts!!!!! He was settled for a bit and then not and then settled and then not and then I put him in an open top playpen with a rock and some deeper sand and he seemed fine and today I find him face down in the sand again. So he is now on his own.