Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2006, 04:46 PM   #26
cj_basser
Registered Member

Jordan, i don't think I will be setting up a SH tank. As much as I would like to, I don't think I will have enough time to properly care for them. Currently, I am working on plans for my dads ~135g reef that is going in his new showroom, and this summer i am going to be doing alot of Tournament fishing. As far as a new tnak for myself, I am thinking about setting up a propagation setup to prop rare SPS, LPS, and softies...to help suport my Tournament fishing.

BTW, let me know a few weeks in advance when you want some of the live mysis, so I can collect them from the fuge and get you a nice colony of them.

cj_basser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2006, 05:36 PM   #27
Jordan55
Premium Member

Trailer- Thanks, I messed with the rocks today and it looks nice, however, do take a picture because I am still intersted and it will also give others ideas as well.

CJ- Well you can't say 135 gallon is "okay"... lol. I am sure that will be fun! As far as fishing.... good luck! Where do you go? I am thinking I will need the mysis in a few weeks time. I will let you know though.

As I said, I did mess around with the rock I am satisfied with it now.... but maybe in a week I will snag up a few pieces from work.

Current Tank Info: None
Jordan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2006, 05:50 PM   #28
TippyToeX
Premium Member

Looking good so far Jordan.

Unread 01/22/2006, 06:19 PM   #29
Jordan55
Premium Member

Okay, here are some pictures.

Full tank, new look ( Only spot where rock is touching glass is left side)
[IMG]http://*******.com/mczo6c.jpg[/IMG]

Right side (I managed, no rock is touching back glass)
[IMG]http://*******.com/mczpmc.jpg[/IMG]

Left side (No rock on back glass)
[IMG]http://*******.com/mczq00.jpg[/IMG]

Fuge- Left side= 2 sponges just untill the tank clears up 100% (probably tomorrow) and a bag of carbon. Right side=Sand and rock for future pod growth and some chaeto.
[IMG]http://*******.com/mczqtu.jpg[/IMG]

Fuge light
[IMG]http://*******.com/mczssy.jpg[/IMG]

Little baggie of baby brine I think...maybe mysis. I will let them gorw for a few weeks in the tank and fuge before the horses arrive.
[IMG]http://*******.com/mcztd1.jpg[/IMG]

Unread 01/22/2006, 06:54 PM   #30
cj_basser
Registered Member

I really like that rock work. It will give the horses a ton of space to swim....and the rock (bali?) has a ton of hitchign posts that they could wrap thier tail around. That is one mean looking fuge light, too.

Are you going to make a feeding station for the SH's?

I fish all over the country in junior tournaments...but mostly in Ohio ( ALum Creek, Delaware, O' Shaugnessy, and farm ponds)

CJ

Unread 01/22/2006, 07:04 PM   #31
Jordan55
Premium Member

Yea the rock is pretty sweet. I like it now due to all the little holes and caves and contrast to it. Plenty of room for macro on the sandbed and on the rock.

It is Bali.... best rock I have seen in my life. To be honest I feel I have had better rock than this before.... I would give this a 75% rating because when I set up my 55 I have some SWEET peices. Not that this rock is bad, but that gives you an idea as to how nice it is.

Next thing I need to do is put a nice black background on the tank.

I do not know about a feeding station. I was this tank to really natural, thats why i am going with different types of macro all over the tank. So if I can find/make a feeding station and blend it into the rocks... maybe.

Unread 01/22/2006, 08:31 PM   #32
cj_basser
Registered Member

You could use clam shell that is turned upside down...so the cupped side is facing up. Then, epoxy it to the rock work...or just leave it on the sand. It would give a really nice natural look to it. You could even use a whole clam shell..the horses would really have to get down it to eat, though.

Unread 01/23/2006, 05:43 PM   #33
Jordan55
Premium Member

Yea I will look into that.... but it isn't a real top priority IMO. Does it have any other benefits other than cleaner water in the long run? I like to see the horses hunt for their food

Day 3- Water is clearest yet. Temp. is staying at 78 and that is that the heater is set to.... so I think I have control over the temp probably untill around 72 or so.

Biggest problem I see in the future will be evaporation. I have had the lights on a total of 8-10 hours probably in the past 3 days and I already have about an inch evap because it is right in line of a window.

When I sold my stuff, I sold my RO/DI unit so that means to Walmart I go for water. I think I might have to have around 5 gallons a week or so on evap.

Right now, I just do not have $$ to get one.,... but within the next month or two depending on paychecks, I may be able to snag the one I used to have.

The filter/fuge has a nice flow and on day 3 it is pretty loud due to evap. Hopefully I can get an RO sooner than later.

Unread 01/23/2006, 10:19 PM   #34
ReefNutPA
Registered Member

The advantage of the feeding station is you can monitor exactly how much each seahorse is eating and would notice any change in feeding behavior for a particular seahorse.

Additionally, even though you like to watch them hunt.... mysis shrimp that gets stuck in crevices, sucked into filters and such will start rotting and increase nitrates.

IMO, a feeding station IS important for those reasons - you can monitor feeding behavior and you'll be able to concentrate the food in one area and remove uneaten food after they've had their fill, thus keeping water parameters more stable.

Overall, the choice is yours. However, you'll have the most success if you do what's best for the horses - not what's best for you

Tom

ReefNutPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2006, 12:18 AM   #35
DebsSisterFlo
Registered Member

thanks, I learned something. Jordan I love the new rockwork! Very nice!

Current Tank Info: 38g seahorse/reef/community tank & 72g FW.
DebsSisterFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2006, 03:02 PM   #36
8BALL_99
Registered Member

Very nice setup.. I like the rockwork Now better then the first way..

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Current Tank Info: Custom Starfire 300,92Gallon,35 Gallon Hex,Two 40Gallons,125Gallon,
8BALL_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2006, 04:05 PM   #37
Jordan55
Premium Member

Reef Nut I do agree with you on the monitor factor... but when you have 2 sea horses in a 25 gallon, monitoring wouldn't be that hard.

And when you have a goby and multiple snails and hermits to clean up left over food.... decaying food isn't a HUGE problem.

I do see the advantages though, and thank you for pointing them out... but in my case I think it could go either way.

Thanks 8Ball!

Unread 01/25/2006, 06:06 PM   #38
cj_basser
Registered Member

Any updates?

If you are going to let the horses hunt for the mysis...i would try to strain the food with mesh netting, and then feed only the frozen mysis. This should help eliminte some of the watse juises that the mysis are frozen in. This will help keep the tank cleaner.

Unread 01/25/2006, 06:19 PM   #39
Jordan55
Premium Member

Well... nothing really here on day 5. Water level is low and I haven't had the lights on really at all. Dang the window!

I am glad Phishy is going to have a RO unit in the store because I do not feel like dropping 175$ on a unit when I only need like 5 gallons a week if that.

I haven't noticed any algae or anything.... so I assume I am still in some middle stage in the cycle.

On Saturday I am going to get my water tested at Phishy's and see what we get.

As far as feeding, I still do not know what I want to do. If I strain the mysis, I am afraid I will get rid of a lot of healthier stuff they mysis has to it. You have to realize.... with a careful eye, a nice size clean up crew, and a shrimp goby to help with feeding.... I think I should be alright. So we will see how it goes.

I am just kind of looking for some type of shrimp goby. I think I like the Hi fin banded goby. He stays small and looks pretty sweet.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=181

So.... everything is just going well and I am basically sitting and tapping fingers.

Unread 01/28/2006, 01:43 PM   #40
Jordan55
Premium Member

1 WEEK MARK!

I come with good and bad news.

Bad- The HOBG fuge/filter I got from Cj had a lip missing on the side when I got it. So I patched it up and over the past week I guess it has been springing a tiny leak. Nothing too big, but it sends a couple drops down the back of the tank and I didn't notice really till today. So I am going to go out and buy some silicon and patch it back up again.

Also, my lights seem to be either cheap, or messed up. Sometimes they turn on, sometimes the don't and I think it has to do with me taking it aprt in the beginning. I had to put in the bulbs and undo some screws. So.... today I will unhook that and go in and check it out.

Good news, the tank is doing well. Nothing major happening. I borrowed a test kit from work, so I am going to test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and I will post results.

Wish me good luck, and I will come back with readings later on.

Unread 01/28/2006, 02:39 PM   #41
Jordan55
Premium Member

Well I tested it... and they all came up 0. So I think I am going to have my boss do it. It is one of those electronical and powder ones.... aka confusing.

So hopefully on Tuesday I will give ya all some readings. Maybe snap a few pictures of the tank tomorrow also.

Unread 01/28/2006, 06:09 PM   #42
cj_basser
Registered Member

That sucks about the Lip. No wonder the water was "evaporating" so quickly. I am not sure if this will work, but in order to keep most water off of the side that was broken, try putting a small peice of acrylic on the overflow on the side that the lip is on. This will divert the flow to not be directly ont he lip.

I hope that makes sense.

I didn't really have a true cycle with my tank when I put in the fully cured rock ( no algea blooms or spikes)

Unread 01/29/2006, 12:46 AM   #43
Jordan55
Premium Member

I am going to go out and buy some silicon tomorrow, so I will just fix it once and for all. IT wasn't really that much of a leak. I do not think it was the problem of my evap. The reason for my evap is because of my tank has a window that hits it for multiple hours in the afternoon.

I will post some pictures tomorrow or Monday of the tank and like I said, have test results on Tuesday.

Unread 01/29/2006, 02:16 AM   #44
pledosophy
Registered Member

The biggest issue with that window is going to be algae problems, and heat. You might want to get an insulated curtain.

Silicone could work for the filter. Hope it does for you.

The readings could mean your tank is cycled, but best to double check.

Crazy reading along this journey with you and how close you are.

Kudos.

Unread 01/29/2006, 11:48 AM   #45
Jordan55
Premium Member

Thanks pled.

I had my 55 gallon in front of the window for over a year with no algae or heat problems. The window is a good 15 feet away from the window but gets direct sunlight in for a few hours.

I found my old test kit today and used it on the tank. All readings came up 0 again. Even though it is over a year old, I think it worked.

I still need to wait awhile (due to $$) before I get anything. But maybe I could snag from macro from work or something.

Unread 01/29/2006, 11:55 AM   #46
pledosophy
Registered Member

Just keep feeding the tank. YOu can use pure unscented amonia, or the amount of food you plan on feeding the seahorse. You want to keep all the bacteria alive.

Did you add food and then test for amonia an hour later. I'd try that if not.

Otherwise keep it up!

Unread 01/30/2006, 06:06 PM   #47
Jordan55
Premium Member

Update on Day 9.

Got some pictures here. I think I am gonna get a ball of chaeto at work tomorrow for the fuge, then hatch those little shrimp (they take 24 hours).

I am also going to pick up 3-5 hermits and 3-5 snails. If they all do well after a week, I am going to goahead and try to stock up on snails/hermits and start going for some macro.... but this all depends if the money tree is doing well also.

Full tank. That is flow in the picture, not white things on glass.
[IMG]http://i1.*******.com/mvl252.jpg[/IMG]

Close up on rock. GREAT stuff!
[IMG]http://i1.*******.com/mvlnih.jpg[/IMG]

Different rock
[IMG]http://i1.*******.com/mvlno7.jpg[/IMG]

How it looks from above, and no rocks touching back glass!
[IMG]http://i1.*******.com/mvlnv7.jpg[/IMG]

(Weird angle, sorry) Flow picture, great for surface movement!
[IMG]http://i1.*******.com/mvloi0.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks everyone!

Unread 01/31/2006, 08:50 PM   #48
AEALOVESHERGIRLS
Premium Member

Jordo, awesome set up!!!!!!!! I'm just starting my 24 gallon, it will be running in just 2 days! No horses for me though. What kind of pendant do you have over your fuge?

Amanda

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Sumpless
AEALOVESHERGIRLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2006, 09:09 PM   #49
Jordan55
Premium Member

Thanks Amanda! Glad to hear you're getting back in.... but I wish you got horsies!

I had a reflector thingy for my turtle (long time ago) and got a 60 or 75 watt (can't remember) bulb for it.

Sorry, not much info on the light... I can't remember that much about it. I saw some stuff on Melevs thread in the DIY forum on fuge lights.

But....I picked up 5 blue leg hermits and 5 astrea snails tonight. I also picked up a clump of macro algae for the fuge (chaeto). It has some pods also in it.

So tomorrow I am going to get some RO water. Going to do a water change Thursday or Friday.

Tomorrow I am going to get those baby brine shrimp in some RO water because they hatch in 24 hours.... so thursday my tank should have baby brine.

Also, CJ is going to try and hook me up with a cup full of live sand from his tank and try and get some live mysis for me.

Updates in a day or two!

Unread 01/31/2006, 09:25 PM   #50
AEALOVESHERGIRLS
Premium Member

Awesome! Can't wait to see more pics!

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Sumpless
AEALOVESHERGIRLS is offline   Reply With Quote