Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Recty
Registered Member

Shell rot in O. scyllarus testing different lights

I'm hoping the Dr. will chime in on this... but this is also a question for the general mantid community

Has any specific testing been done on O. scyllarus in regards to different lighting being viable for use without increasing chances of shell rot?

For instance... has it been tested against metal halides? One test using 8K daylight bulbs, another using deepwater simulating 460nm bulbs? Perhaps a really red light instead of the typical blue/white we use in our aquariums?

Has anyone tried keeping them under LEDs? Something to provide the shimmer and the actual light but not the heat. One think I know with typical reef lighting like halides is it puts a ton of heat directly into the water, whereas something like LEDs dont do that. Perhaps shell rot is a function of some kind of "heat rash" like humans can get, or a sunburn, which a different spectrum or different light type entirely could avoid?

Anyway, I did some googling and some Reef Central searching on shell rot and couldnt really discover much testing, so I'd like to know if anyone knows what's been tried.

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2012, 06:53 PM   #2
gpx1200
Registered Member

prety shure i've seen the doc say that he has not done alot of testing as to the exact causes of shell rot but he has stated that it is related to a bacterial infection in the shells cuticle and not so much like the uv sunburn that many peapole relate it to.
i think it's posible that the bright lighting may cause a higher lavel of this bacteria in the water colum the same way that it causes algie blumes.
at the same time their is the fact that the bright lights will increase the stress level of the animal and this may cause them to be more suseptable to infection just like in peapole.
i have been thinking that led lighting may be a better option simply becouse it's suposed to grow less algie so mabie it will grow less of this bacteria as well. if we could figure out what light specrums cause the shell rot it would be a simple matter to build a led light that does not produce that spectrum.
i don't have a peacock but i plan to add a uv sterilizer to my mantis system soon

gpx1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I have heard that Dr. Caldwell utilizes 'UV Sterilizers' on his tanks not sure if there on all of his tanks but it was a conversation in direct relation to O.scyllarus, so by using a UV sterilizer you can lower the risk of shell rot.