Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Rhodes19
Registered Member

Smile DYI live rock algae bloom?

Hi All,

I was considering making my own live rock for my 55g that I will be setting up but a friend cautioned against because it would cause a large algae bloom that would be hard to control. He suggested going all live rock. Has anyone ever experienced this? He also said that it would take about a year for the rock to cure and have bacteria in it. His suggestion was to place the DYI rock in the ocean (we live in Charleston, SC) for a year and then it would be ready. My plan is to make about 100 lbs of rock (with some left over) and while it is curing, make a nice wooden stand. Once the rock is cured, I’ll put it in the tank, get it going and place a few pounds of live rock on top of it. After it cycles and the water chemistry is good, add fish and coral. After searching this site the only problem I have read about was the long curing time if using crushed oyster shells. What has been everyone else’s experience? Thanks.

Rhodes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2009, 02:16 PM   #2
BrianOKC
Registered Member

The cement is what needs to cure it leaches out very high PH.

BrianOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Rhodes19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianOKC
The cement is what needs to cure it leaches out very high PH.

Hi BrianOKC, Thanks.

I know the cement needs to leach out/cure but I was told after it is cured and all that dead rock goes into the aquarium, it would cause an algae bloom then the bateria start to populate it.

Rhodes19 is offline   Reply With Quote