Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2013, 12:05 AM   #1
SirKevinD
Registered Member

Question about planning a sump

Hey guy, I'm going to be ordering a 90G rimless shallow reef tank from reef savvy soon. It will have a 24'in ghost overflow. I am
Going to but the BRS dual reactor for down by the sump and run phosban in one and carbon or chemi pure elite in the other. So here's whe I get to my question, should I build my sump with the first stage just for filter sock and the return
Just big enough for the pump with a huge LR bin with critters in the middle? I would be running my media in the reactors. How does this sound? Tips? Suggestions?

SirKevinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2013, 12:22 AM   #2
MDO
Registered Member.

First stage: Socks and skimmer space
Second: Rubble but I recommend nice medium pieces so that particles won't accumulate as much.
Third: Return

Keep in mind that some of the simple sumps are the best ones.

Also, a good way to plan your sump is to draw it out on paper or a cads program.

MDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2013, 12:43 AM   #3
SirKevinD
Registered Member

Yea my bad I forgot to mention skimmer in first stage as well. But exactly, I just want rock for biological filter and some crabs and snails, no refugium since I will be religiously running GFO. I plan in only having a few fish and tons of LPS, softies and zoos/pallys. And CUC, the usual stuff.

SirKevinD is offline   Reply With Quote