Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2016, 11:25 PM   #1526
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Right, nawilson89!

So, between Uronema and Darwinian Selection, maybe I don't want these fish. But I was really wanting to do a school of schooling fish, 'cause, s'cool.

So, what are my other choices? There's a few other caribbean chromises available, but they all get big, mean and ugly-compared to their juvenile selves. I considered getting Silversides. They're kind of plain, but a large school would look super natural! I wish there was a caribbean shrimp fish available. Those would be amazing in the grasses! But, those are more of a seahorse/pipefish, slow fish tank kind of fish, and probably wouldn't keep up at feeding time. The masked goby looks like a good schooler, but kinda small. I'd get a school of butterfly fish if I could, but I can't, with an anemone. I was going to add a school of chalk bass, but I think the grammas would fuss with them, from what I've read.

Oh well, I'm open to suggestions!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2016, 11:53 PM   #1527
sam.basye
Registered Member

What about cardinalfish? No, not the two types that everyone has.. (PJ and bangaii)

Like twospots, barred, flame/red, and mimic cardinalfish? I really like the mimic, which is for sure Caribbean, and I really like the yellow/orange lined cardinalfish, but not sure if they are found in the Caribbean.

They only get up to 2.5" and pretty sure they school. Not to mention the bright colors.

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2016, 11:57 PM   #1528
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I considered the flames, but they get a little too big. I'm not familiar with the mimic-I'll check it out. What do they mimic?

Unread 04/13/2016, 12:23 AM   #1529
sam.basye
Registered Member

Looks like they mimic the black-lined blenny. Unlike most cardinalfish that hover in place under a ledge, the mimic's are more active swimmers.

Being that cardinalfish are somewhat a nocturnal fish, I feel like they would prefer to hang around the root on the darker side of the tank which would be pretty cool.

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2016, 02:21 AM   #1530
Chibils
halide loyalist

My mistake Michael! I did not realize you were referring to Chromis cyanea, since 90% of the time "blue chromis" just means C. viridis to people. You're probably much safer with the blue chromis, at least I would think you are.

Then again, having groups of chromis/damsels seems to be an issue for just about everyone. I think the idea of a school of butterflies is something we've all drooled over - shame about the 'nems though.

And the cardinals... They seem to have the same issue as the chromis from what I've seen. I've actually started a thread in the reef fishes board about this very issue earlier today, to see if there are any successful cases of people keeping groups of Apogon cards long-term.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75G new world cichlid, 25G reef in planning
Chibils is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2016, 05:52 AM   #1531
nawilson89
Registered Member

Michael, what about getting the Angel harem (Cherub I think) that you wanted?

Current Tank Info: 29g Macro Algae tank
nawilson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2016, 08:37 AM   #1532
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

OK, Sam, so the mimic cardinal fish is more of a singular or pair bound fish, so not so much of a schooler. A small school of juveniles could work for awhile, but not long term. I'm really looking for something that will stay peaceful and stay in school. I might try a pair of these. They are pretty cool looking fish!

Unread 04/13/2016, 08:41 AM   #1533
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Chibils, I'm glad you brought Uronema to my attention, regardless. So the blue chromis is still an option, but I don't want to see six die to end up with one.

Unread 04/13/2016, 09:04 AM   #1534
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nawilson89, I still plan to do a harem of around four cherub angels, but they'll be the last fish I add, so that's a ways off. Right now, I just want to find something I can get 7-10 of, that will peacefully coexist in a school, both as juveniles and as they mature.

Maybe my tank's not big enough. I was thinking that, with all the caves in the wall available, a school of blue chromis might not kill each other off, because anyone getting picked on could escape to safety. It's working with the grammas! I wonder if plenty of feedings would help as well. I would imagine some of the reported aggression could stem from competition for food, in lightly-fed reef tanks. I feed 3 times a day. I have no concerns about overfeeding, so that could help. Maybe my tank situation is different enough, that I could succeed, where others have failed? It doesn't seem likely, but there are a few success stories out there!

Unread 04/13/2016, 09:10 AM   #1535
nawilson89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Nawilson89, I still plan to do a harem of around four cherub angels, but they'll be the last fish I add, so that's a ways off. Right now, I just want to find something I can get 7-10 of, that will peacefully coexist in a school, both as juveniles and as they mature.

Maybe my tank's not big enough. I was thinking that, with all the caves in the wall available, a school of blue chromis might not kill each other off, because anyone getting picked on could escape to safety. It's working with the grammas! I wonder if plenty of feedings would help as well. I would imagine some of the reported aggression could stem from competition for food, in lightly-fed reef tanks. I feed 3 times a day. I have no concerns about overfeeding, so that could help. Maybe my tank situation is different enough, that I could succeed, where others have failed? It doesn't seem likely, but there are a few success stories out there!
I would have thought your tank would have been large enough even for groups of fish at a max of 3 inches. If you were to do chromis would you want to do for more than 10? I don't have a source, but I remember someone telling me long ago that most chromis will kill each other off in small groups, but live better in larger groups.

Unread 04/13/2016, 09:47 AM   #1536
Chibils
halide loyalist

Probably prohibitively expensive, but Holanthias martinicensis is a Caribbean deepwater anthias that gets to a good size (~8in in the wild, probably 5-6 in aquarium) and is very comfortable.

Planktivores, so no worries about nems or sponges or corals. But since it's not regularly collected... Might cost a fortune apiece.

There's also Odontanthias hensleyi coming off the coast of Puerto Rico and possibly Curaçao. Same size, probably same rarity and cost. Also deepwater. 😕

Unread 04/13/2016, 09:48 AM   #1537
nawilson89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibils View Post
Probably prohibitively expensive, but Holanthias martinicensis is a Caribbean deepwater anthias that gets to a good size (~8in in the wild, probably 5-6 in aquarium) and is very comfortable.

Planktivores, so no worries about nems or sponges or corals. But since it's not regularly collected... Might cost a fortune apiece.

I never even though about Anthias!

Unread 04/13/2016, 10:05 AM   #1538
Chibils
halide loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawilson89 View Post
I never even though about Anthias!
After some more research, it looks like Pseudoanthias pictilis is a Caribbean fish! They're available from LiveAquaria and most LFS can probably get them in. Might be seasonal since they're not as popular as lyretails.

... These might be better since you've got a shallow seagrass lagoon instead of a deepwater NPS coral tank.

Unread 04/13/2016, 10:07 AM   #1539
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Interesting options, Chibils, thanks!

They're probably too big, and too expensive. Plus they are more deep water species. I'm really looking for common, cheap, bullet-proof kind of fish. I'm all about EASY.

Nawilson89, I was thinking a school of 7-10 fish.

Unread 04/13/2016, 10:17 AM   #1540
Chibils
halide loyalist

Good point about the easy, you've already covered that... 😁

The pictilis anthias are similar to any other Pseudanthias regularly available in the hobby. QT properly, prazi them, and make sure they get lots of food and they do pretty well. Some are harder than others but I don't think pictilis are one of them. And they're not deepwater like the others.

Unread 04/13/2016, 02:12 PM   #1541
taricha
Registered Member

The conventional wisdom is that a school of your chromis would whittle down to one over time.
There is a minority opinion that if fed in large enough consistently enough, the behavior changes and they do well together.
I saw this happen with firefish in my tank. One grew fat and was out all the time, the other hid in a corner and wasted away. Then I had to massively over feed my tank for weeks for another issue. Now they are both out equally and equally fat, and each have their own side of the tank.
Depending on your plans for your tank, you might be interested in seeing if this works with groups of chromis.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2016, 02:30 PM   #1542
nawilson89
Registered Member

Taricha just reminded me. How about a school of carribean dartfish

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Unread 04/13/2016, 03:58 PM   #1543
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Chibils, the Pseudoanthias pictilis available from LiveAquaria is not a Caribbean fish. No matter. They're bigger and pricier than what I want. Thanks for your help.

Taricha, that's encouraging to hear. It seems possible, that if there is plenty of food and shelter, they could be kind to each other.

Nawilson89, I checked out the dart fish at KP Aquatics. It looks like they are more of a mated pair kind of fish. Interesting that they associate with yellow head jawfish, even using burrows. That could be a cool pairing for someone into that sort of thing.

Unread 04/14/2016, 07:09 AM   #1544
Chibils
halide loyalist

Right you are Michael. I googled "Caribbean anthias" to see if there were any and got a hit on P. pictilis from http://www.freshmarine.com/pictilis-anthias-female.html where they list the range as western Atlantic and the Caribbean. More research on my end shows that what they listed is incorrect.

Unread 04/14/2016, 09:36 PM   #1545
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I watched a video of some masked gobies in a reef tank. They weren't schooling. They were scattered about, perching. Not too much excitement there.

I thought of another schooling fish possibility - the Sweeper. They're similar in shape to hatchet fish, but salt water and brackish.

"Characteristically shallow water, schooling fish (especially as juveniles), sweepers are nocturnal and seek shelter under ledges or in the caves. At night, sweepers forage for zooplankton, their primary food."

I'll have to read a little more.

Unread 04/16/2016, 05:24 PM   #1546
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Unread 04/16/2016, 05:25 PM   #1547
nawilson89
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh! Did you always have codium or is that new?

Unread 04/16/2016, 06:18 PM   #1548
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The Codium's new! I got the fragments of one, glued them about.

Unread 04/16/2016, 06:19 PM   #1549
nawilson89
Registered Member

Quote:
The Codium's new! I got the fragments of one, glued them about.
Good luck with them. I'm hoping the piece I have does well too.

Unread 04/16/2016, 06:47 PM   #1550
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass