Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2011, 10:12 PM   #1
hillscp
Soylent Green is People!!

Sailfin won't eat Nori

I got a new Sailfin for my 125. I put him in on Saturday the 15th. He is active and picks at the live rock and red Macro growing on the rock. I am offering him Nori on a Veggie clip and Blanched Romaine but I have not seen him take any of it. I have tried to get him to take Spectrum and ocean Nutrition Formula II pellets without luck. I have seen him eat Cyclopeeze (he seems to like it) so I am feeding it once a day (thats a lot)

Should I be worried? Will he start taking the Nori eventually? Are there any tricks to get him to eat it?

This is my first Sailfin. I had a Blue Tang a long time ago but he loved the Nori and I had no problem getting him to eat it.

TIA

Scott

Current Tank Info: Salt water since 1995

Last edited by hillscp; 01/24/2011 at 10:45 PM.
hillscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2011, 10:35 PM   #2
ltljoker
Registered Member

If he has a spacific corner he kicks it in, try attaching a piece of your nori sheet to a rock with a rubber band. I do that with my Moorish Idol and thats the only way he will eat it. It is a lil more natural feeling to them since it is on a rock

Current Tank Info: 210 reef tank I have 2 sea apples in it. they are my favs
ltljoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2011, 10:44 PM   #3
hillscp

He does kick in one corner more than the other. I'll give it a try (even though I don't usually put my hands in the tank every day)

Unread 01/24/2011, 11:14 PM   #4
BorHor
Registered Member

My Sailfin goes crazy over nori. I usually put the nori on my mag float with a few rubber bands and my sailfin goes for it every time and keeps the nori from floating all over the place.

BorHor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2011, 11:21 PM   #5
sland
Registered Member

Soak your nori with a little bit of garlic to entice him. My sailfin was the same way at first. He was shy of the clip in the tank, soaked a little garlic on the nori for a minute or two and put it in there and was good to go from there on out. It is good he is picking at the rocks, showing his grazing, he will learn.

Current Tank Info: 60 Oceanic sps lps dominated, mp40, reef octo skimmer, 80 lbs live rock, 60lbs live sand
sland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2011, 10:04 PM   #6
hillscp

I'm not feeling too good about my Tang right now. I have tried all of the suggestions.

Garlic soaked nori rubber banded to rocks. I have tried several spots. I don't see him taking any of it or any of the other food. He is not as active and spends more time hiding in the rockwork. When he is out he is hanging out near the bottom of the tank. He seems interested in pieces of macro algae on the substrate but I am afraid there is not enough to keep him going.

Unread 01/26/2011, 10:11 PM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

Not eating nori is not a big deal.
Many will prefer the living stuff on your rocks till that's gone.
I think at first dry nori confuses them, they usually adapt.
There may be other reasons for it not being active as you'd like.
Eventually it will get pretty big, too big for that size tank, just a heads up...

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2011, 10:48 PM   #8
hillscp

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll just keep watching him and offering him food. I've had salt water aquariums for about 20 years. Now that I think about it I started with a 25 > 40 > 75 > 125 so I guess my next rig has to be a 250 LOL.