Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2016, 09:03 AM   #1
Potatohead
Registered Member

Stocking a 36g

I am about ready to start adding fish to my 36 bow, which I intend to have a mixed reef in the coming months. I am considering the following;

2 x Ocellaris Clowns
1 x Azure Damsel

Then either;

1 x Orchid Dottyback
or
1-2 x Green Chromis
or
One more Azure Damsel

Thoughts?

Thanks

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2016, 09:14 AM   #2
GaG8tor
Registered Member

All of the above with exception of the dottyback are damselfish and can be very aggressive and territorial. The only thing I would advise against is the second azure damsel. 36G Should plenty of room for them to all have their own space and get along.

GaG8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2016, 09:19 AM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

THe dottyback will terrorize the damsels. Terrible disposition and hard to catch. And no damsels in a 36 excepting the mildest clowns. To have more than one damsel, 100 gallons.
Your best bets are in the goby and blenny classes, and pick the very smallest of the blenny class. And if you want the high color of the dottyback, take a look at the basslets, either the chalk or the royal gramma, or the dartfish---dartfish only with jump screen, and only 1 per tank.
A 36 tank is really great for soft corals or stony, given lighting appropriate for each.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2016, 09:22 AM   #4
GaG8tor
Registered Member

I second the Royal Gramma. Didn't realize the Dottyback was so aggressive. I thought they were a Basslet as well.

Unread 05/27/2016, 10:56 AM   #5
Potatohead
Registered Member

Hmm

My LFS has an online fish list, they show some Royal Grammas but they list them as dottybacks and not basslets, but they don't show any basslets at all so it's probably the same fish with a different name.

I'm pretty set on the two clowns and the Azure, at least try it out. I'd like a green fish and maybe a purple fish too. They have green clown gobies but apparently those can nip at SPS corals which I definitely plan on keeping in a few months.

Here is their list if anyone wants to make a suggestion;

http://www.jlaquatics.com/media/news.../FISH_LIST.pdf

Unread 05/28/2016, 08:56 AM   #6
GaG8tor
Registered Member

Lawnmower Blennies are very cool too. Lots of personality. Very fun to watch

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Unread 05/28/2016, 09:03 AM   #7
jenjen
Registered Member

I have azure damsels in my 180. They don't think anything of chasing away tangs and dwarf angels from their territory. I'd stay clear of damsels in a 36gal.

Tailspot blenny is a great character and interesting colour. Maybe a small goby and pistol shrimp pair?

Current Tank Info: 180gal softy reef (Apr '09)
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 09:03 AM   #8
BigEZ77
Registered Member

Skip the dottyback, as suggested, Royal Gramma is a better option. Damsels go in last and together if you're putting in two. I don't have any chromis because I heard they are more prone to bring disease into your tank...if you're not running a QT like me

Banggai / Yellow Wrasse / Black Ice and Davinci Clowns / Flame Angel / Royal Gramma / Blue Chromis / LPS (dominated) / Monti's / Softies / BTA's

Current Tank Info: 45G Rimless, Tunze 9004, Kessil A160WE, Gyre XF130, 50lbs rock, Reef Crystals, Phosguard in reactor, Matrix, Chemipure Blue and NP XL biopellets in sump
BigEZ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 09:14 AM   #9
BigEZ77
Registered Member

PS. Sk8r's advice over mine...didn't read it before responding. He knows damsels, I don't have any...just based my response from what I've read.

Banggai / Yellow Wrasse / Black Ice and Davinci Clowns / Flame Angel / Royal Gramma / Blue Chromis / LPS (dominated) / Monti's / Softies / BTA's

Current Tank Info: 45G Rimless, Tunze 9004, Kessil A160WE, Gyre XF130, 50lbs rock, Reef Crystals, Phosguard in reactor, Matrix, Chemipure Blue and NP XL biopellets in sump
Unread 05/28/2016, 02:47 PM   #10
LED Jack
Registered Member

No damsels or chromis but the clowns or course are fine.. A few firefish would be a good alternative. A blenny would be another but only if your light allows for algae to grow on the glass. Royal gramma is another good one.

LED Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 03:40 PM   #11
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED Jack View Post
No damsels or chromis but the clowns or course are fine.. A few firefish would be a good alternative. A blenny would be another but only if your light allows for algae to grow on the glass. Royal gramma is another good one.
A few firefish will become one firefish

Unread 05/28/2016, 03:43 PM   #12
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEZ77 View Post
PS. Sk8r's advice over mine...didn't read it before responding. He knows damsels, I don't have any...just based my response from what I've read.
Sk8r is a she.

Unread 05/28/2016, 06:12 PM   #13
LED Jack
Registered Member

Why would a few firefish become 1 firefish?

LED Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 08:23 PM   #14
BigEZ77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Sk8r is a she.
Duly noted.

Unread 05/28/2016, 08:38 PM   #15
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED Jack View Post
Why would a few firefish become 1 firefish?
Unless you have a bonded pair, only the most dominant one will survive. Takes about 4 months.

Unread 05/28/2016, 09:09 PM   #16
Xerothermike
Registered Member

What about some bottom dwellers like scooters or shrimp Rays? Also, how about a mini angel like a lemon peel (not sure of name, but prob close enough...) or a six line wrasse
(they're said to be aggressive, but it's just luck of the draw, passive or non- passive... I had one for a pretty long time, he was more timid and gentle than a mandarin! Awesome coloration too...).
Good luck!

Xerothermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 09:11 PM   #17
Xerothermike
Registered Member

Actually, forget the angel, was being stupid, bad idea if ur starting out fresh...

Xerothermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 09:38 AM   #18
Potatohead
Registered Member

Alright so this weekend we went to the LFS, got two Ocellaris, one Azure Damsel, five nassarius snails and six blue leg hermits, along with a zoa colony and a four headed baseball sized torch coral.

Everything other than the damsel was doing well within hours, the clowns are eating and playing around and the corals are showing great color and PE. The damsel went and hid basically right away, I could find him in the rocks for the first 48 hours, but now I haven't seen him now for 24 hours or so. I'm not sure if he got a better hiding spot or if he didn't make it. My hermits were MIA for a few hours yesterday morning so that has me a little suspicious... Can they (and/or the snails) consume a 1" fish in a few hours?

Unread 05/30/2016, 10:31 AM   #19
GaG8tor
Registered Member

I have some blue-legged hermits that are just murderous. Bought 6 when I set up my cube and 12 cerith snails. Had plenty of extra shells for them too but they just murdered all of the snails. I doubt they could catch your damsel if it was healthy but if he's a little sluggish or something is wrong with him?

Unread 05/30/2016, 10:34 AM   #20
Potatohead
Registered Member

My snails are much larger than the hermits so I am not too concerned about them for now. If the fish died I'm just wondering if it might pollute the tank or if the crabs/snails will clean him up quickly. I tested ammonia last night because I was slightly concerned and it was fine but I will check it again tonight I guess.

Unread 05/30/2016, 10:50 AM   #21
GaG8tor
Registered Member

I'd definitely keep testing for a few days but if anything happened to him the hermits will definitely take care of it. I got a couple of Mexican turbo snails and those things are huge and get the job done . Im no longer scrubbing glass .

Unread 05/30/2016, 11:09 AM   #22
Potatohead
Registered Member

Ok, if he doesn't turn up in the next couple days the wife will probably want another one this weekend... lol

Thanks for the help